Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC Shopping with Teenager (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-shopping-with-teenager-460061/)

Kiddo Jul 15th, 2004 04:32 PM

NYC Shopping with Teenager

We'll be in NYC in August with our 16-year old daughter. Any shopping suggestions that won't break the bank? We're staying at the Belvedere (Times Square/Theatre District) although proximity to the hotel isn't that important. Last year we went to Century 21, H&M and Strawberry(?), which was her favourite, but I was hoping to get some additional suggestions.

Thanks so much!

Lynn

Anonymous Jul 15th, 2004 04:43 PM

Try Pearl River, on the border between Chinatown and Soho, at 477 Broadway. Visit their web site first for a glimpse into the array of stuff. Walk north on B'way and you'll come to TWO H&M's and then Kate's Paperie at about 561 B'way. Lots of other interesting stuff along the way.

Or head south on B'way, check out the offerings on Canal Street. Get your $10 Rolexes and Kate Spade bags!

Kiddo Jul 15th, 2004 05:43 PM

Thanks very much Anonymous. I'll pass on the website info to my daughter to check out.

Any other ideas anyone? Also would love suggestions on Broadway plays/musicals. Last year we saw Chicago and The Producers. Loved Chicago -- not so much The Producers. We're considering Hairspray and 42nd Street.

Thanks again.

Lynn

enjoylife Jul 15th, 2004 05:55 PM

Also, check out Filene's basement. There are two locations in Manhattan. Once is close to Zabar's, so you could also stop in there for some yummy snacks.

emd Jul 15th, 2004 06:10 PM

My daughter and I enjoyed Pearl River Mart very much; I wasn't expecting to get anythign for myslef but they had some nice flax pants and jackets at great prices. SHe bought alot of hair ornaments and some shoes, and we bought some lovely chinese dishes and table linens. We also enjoyued shopping at two street festivals, one realy good one on 7th Ave and one in the Village, although those change every weekend in the summer (go to www.nyvisit.com and click on calendar of events, and put in your dates- all kinds of street festivals, art festivals, etc will com eup). At the street festivals we bought funky socks, nice fun purses, silk robes, tank tops, jewelry, just fun stuff. We tried to do some more serious colthes clothes shopping; tried Betwixt in the Village, which was recommended for preteen/teen girls but didn't find anythind there, and Century 21 was a zoo early on Sunday w/about 30 people in line for the dressing rooms. I'd really like to hear about any other places as I am also taking her back in August w/me on a business trip around a weekend.

emd Jul 15th, 2004 06:12 PM

Sorry about the typos, I didn't proof before posting.

BTW- if you are on the Lower East Side my daughter loved Economy Candy. Great candy store w/lots of old fashioned candy I hadn't seen since my childhood, and lots of the new stuff also.

Eva Jul 15th, 2004 06:20 PM

In Soho there is a place called "Yellow Rat Bastard" that is fun. There are many objectionable things in the store (naughty words and the like) but the rat logo is so hideous it is cute. They also have tons of Paul Frank items as well as t-shirts with old tv icons (think Yogi Bear, oscar from Sesame St etc). It is located on Broadway at Broome (I think that is the nearest cross st.).

Anonymous Jul 15th, 2004 06:23 PM

Yellow Rat Bastard is directly across the street from Pearl River!!

kurtzlaw Jul 15th, 2004 07:02 PM

There is a mall (relatively new, I think) near 34th St. Ask at the hotel, I am sure they will know. How about good old Macy's, especially if there is a sale (usually that is the case on Wed.).

Watch out for the imitation Rolex's and knock off's of other "name" brands sold by street vendors. The suburbs are filled with shopping malls and outlet centers. Queens Plaza is only a subway ride away. Marshalls is known for real name brands at a discount.

MFNYC Jul 16th, 2004 06:49 AM

I would pick Harispray over 42nd Street. Both my kids (teens) loved it. My kids also love Rent (as do just about every other teen I know). Betwixt is not cheap and more geared toward tweens (not teens). My daughter (15) loves Urban Outfitter with has many locations, she also loves the new Bloomingdales in Soho (although never bought anything there, it's not cheap). My daughter also likes Wet Seal (i know there are a few locations in the village and soho, I don't know where else) which is much more affordable than some of the others. For accessories (jewelry and hair clips, etc), Girls Props is great, and cheap as can be. Daffy's is another discount chain with several stores around Manahattan.

schoolmarm Jul 16th, 2004 11:10 AM

I just returned from NYC with my 18 year old daughter. Stores she liked (that might break the bank-look for sales)
Anthropologie in Soho
Henri Bendel
Bloomingdales
Saks
Fresh
Mystique
Have fun shopping!

milkeway4 Jul 16th, 2004 12:24 PM

My daughter loves Urban Outfitters and the soho area for shopping.

Tim_and_Liz Jun 1st, 2005 05:05 PM

I know this is an old post but we're heading to Pearl River Mart (after the Tenement Museum and Katz's)...
Which direction should we head after Pearl River for the best shopping? We are interested in lower-moderate priced boutiques or funky stores (not chain stores or too high-end).
South/North on Broadway?
TIA