COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC shopping (and other ideas) with 14 year old girl

Old Nov 24th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Hi,
will be spending a day in NYC next week, with my Mom and my 14 year old daughter. Any suggestions for shopping? Clothes, earrings - those types of things. Any other "must do" ideas?
Thanks!
Old Nov 24th, 2007, 12:25 PM

I went with my friend last year and her 16 year old daughter. Although not my cup of tea, she loved Canal Street. From there we walked north on Broadway and she loved alot of the stores in the few blocks north of Canal Street. GO into Pearl River Mart on Broadway. We all loved it, and could have spent more time there.
She also loved the shops in the village.

Also, Century 21.

You can tell, we spent a lot of our time shopping.
On our last day, it was time for her mom and I to shop and we really had great luck at Ann Taylor Loft. We came home with lots of bargains.
Old Nov 24th, 2007, 12:50 PM

I agree .. most 14-year-olds love Canal Street and Broadway north of Canal.

Pearl River Mart is on the west (left) side of Broadway as you walk north from Canal. She'll also like YRB, which is across the street from Pearl.

H&M is another popular choice for inexpensive, trendy clothing & accessories. There are several in Manhattan, including one across the street from Bloomingdale's.

Enjoy!
Old Nov 24th, 2007, 01:00 PM

I walked into the H&M store in Midtown Manahattan. It is huge and I think a 14 year old (and older!) would like it. Also, the shops at Columbus Circle may interest her.
Old Nov 24th, 2007, 03:47 PM

My daughter(we've celebrated her 17th and 18th b-days in NYC) was nuts about the shops near Lincoln Center-not cheap but fun window shopping at Betsy Johnson and hat buying at Kangol. But when she took her best friend, she was all about Canal St. (they only buy the bags out on display but still bargain). They took the subway there on their own and had a blast.
Old Nov 24th, 2007, 05:55 PM

I would also suggest Conway as a GREAT place for jeans/sweaters/tees. The store is inexpensive and FULL of teen clothes. The largest selection is next to Macy's at 35th and Broadway.

For earrings, if you walk west on 34th there are 2 or 3 shops that have opened recently that she might like with all kinds of fun jewelry.

Also if you walk south on Broadway in the jewelry area, some of the stores sell retail and she can buy TONS of earrings for very little money. (Broadway from 32nd St. to the 26th St.)

You also might like Daffy's also in the Herald Square area across from Macy's.

Have a great time while you are here.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 10:07 AM

There is a really great costume jewellery shop in Soho called So Good - I think that it is on Broadway.

Also in Soho: Girl Props (cheap fun accessories), Uniqlo (like a Japanese "Gap" with cool clothes) and a great place for fun items called Pylones (Spring Street, I think, near Balthazar).

Have fun.
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Cassandra

I'm envious -- would love to have an ambulatory mom and an actual daughter to do this with. If it were me, I'd probably include "doing" tea at one of the hotels that "do" tea, in between the retail adventures.

Happy Holidays!

(btw "Snakka" -- refers to a fictious game designed to sell Subway... not doing Subway any favors on these boards and killing a perfectly good Sunday for himself. Will be gone by this time tomorrow, I'd guess).

Old Nov 25th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Hi Cassandra - would think about "tea" - any suggestions?
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 05:18 PM
Cassandra

You might check out both the Ritz-Carlton (the one in Chicago does it up) and the Plaza, but have found references to other places, e.g., the Pierre, 4 Seasons, etc.

Here's a website, but I couldn't tell how up-to-date it is: http://www.geocities.com/hiromimw/NYtea.html

Old Nov 25th, 2007, 05:54 PM

For tea, the St. Regis hotel is very nice and the views from the lobby lounge of the Mandarin Oriental hotel are great. You need reservations at these type places. Not sure if the Plaza is re-opened. The newish restaurant in Bergorf's (BG) is another idea.
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 06:48 AM

Also The Palace does a lovely tea.
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 07:12 AM

ANother good store in soho is uniglo. Around soho, there are many vendors selling accessory type things (jewelry, scarfs, etc) on the street.
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 07:23 AM

I like the tea at the Pierre the best. It has a beautiful rotunda room. The food is delicious and the waiters especially attentive.
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

HELP! Can anybody tell me WHERE on Broadway the jewelry district is that travelbuff2 is talking about. Heading in to NYC in the early a.m. so hoping for a quick response!!
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 05:52 AM
Cassandra

Don't have the answer (I would ask hotel people), but think we missed you anyway.

Please come back after the trip and tell us what you did!

Old Nov 28th, 2007, 07:06 AM

The area is on Broadway just south of 34th St. Alot of the stores are wholesale, but will also sell retail at very good prices.

The stores start around 32nd St and go south to about 26th St.

HOpe this helps.
Old Nov 28th, 2007, 08:41 AM

Also in that jewelry area of broadway there's a big bead store (I think called Beads World betw 37th & 38th) where you can buy the supplies to make your own jewelry. They have a huge selection, all different sizes, shapes, colors and materials.