Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC Sheratons (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-sheratons-462868/)

Kostroma Jul 27th, 2004 12:06 PM

NYC Sheratons

After much research, I decided that either of the Manhattan Sheratons are in the perfect location for my 3 night stay in NY. However, I've been reading some *very* mixed reviews of these two hotels.

I know that no hotel will satisfy everyone, but if a hotel has predominately good or bad reviews, it makes it easier to decide than a hotel that offers such a mixed bag of reviews.

I'm not looking for the Ritz and I'm a person who's happy in a Holiday Inn as long as the bed is comfy and the room is clean. Are the Sheratons okay for someone with modest expectations? Also, which of the two is "better"?

BTW, I'm also considering the Novotel.

Neal_Sanders Jul 27th, 2004 12:23 PM

Kostroma, I've probably logged 25 nights at the Sheraton Hotel & Towers over the past three or four years. It is very large and very impersonal, but the rooms are better than average in size, recently refusbished and, if you request a "higher floor" (say, 25 and up), the hotel is very quiet.

The Sheraton Manhattan across the street has been re-positioned as a business travelers hotel with an emphasis on working space and high speed internet access. It's a relatively (15 or so floor) squat hotel and my impression is that it gets a lot of street noise.

HowardR Jul 27th, 2004 12:27 PM

The Sheraton New York is the better of the two. The best thing about the Sheraton Manhattan is that it has a pool (one of the hotel pools in NY). I understand that guests at either Sheraton can use the pool. Either facility is fine, and if Holiday Inns satisfy you, then you should have no problems with either one.

mclaurie Jul 27th, 2004 12:55 PM

Howard, just for clarification, which do you mean by Sheraton NY? It's my understanding it's either the big Sheraton Hotel and Towers or the Sheraton Manhattan that's smaller with the pool.

emd Jul 27th, 2004 12:55 PM

Kostroma: I am assuming you are talking about the Sheraton Manhattan and the Sheraton NY Hotel and Towers, which is directly across the st. from the Sheraton Mnahattan- is that correct? If so, I stay at either of them about 3 times a year. Actually week after next I am going to NY for business, and I could stay anywhere (And I often stay at Essex House on Central Park, another Starwood property) but I have chosen the Sheraton NY Hotel and Towers because I will have my 13 yr old son w/me and we can swim at the pool at the Sheraton Manhattan, which has a large indoor pool. The rooms at both hotels have been (and some are still in process of being) renovated in last few years. They are fairly large hotels, have average size for NY (small) rooms, offer decent service (I have always had good service actually), but there are soem complaints that I do note for Sheraton Manhattan: 1) the club level is closed, and it is very worth it to get on the club level at these hotels IMO, because the breakfast is very good nad the evening appetizers and drinks are nice too. The club level is open at Sheraton NY; 2) the elevators are VERY slow at Sheraton Manhattan- it can take 10 min. to get an elevator. Also, you can hear som hall noise in those hotels, but I have not experienced the noise in adjacent rooms like I have read others have had. I always ask for quiet rooms away from the elevators and at the end og the hall is possible, and I tell them I don't care about views (there aren't any really). The location of these hotels is great for many theaters (a one block walk to Gershwin and Neil Simon theaters, etc.) and Times Square and close to the park too. There is a big "real" grocery store a block away too.

HowardR Jul 27th, 2004 01:03 PM

Just to clarify, the larger one (on Seventh Avenue spanning the block from 52nd to 53rd) is the Sheraton New York. I'm not sure where the words "and Towers" go within the title. (Or, did the Sheraton drop the words "New York" from the hotel's name and now call it the Sheraton Hotel and Towers?) Anyway, that's the big one!
The smaller one, the Sheraton Manhattan is diagonally across the street on Seventh Avenue, spanning the block from 51st to 52nd.

Kostroma Jul 27th, 2004 01:19 PM

Thank you to all who have replied so far. Just to clarify, I *am* referring to the two Sheratons adjacent to each other on 7th. I was in a rush when I posted and neglected that detail.

It's looking like the Towers are the better bet.

emd Jul 27th, 2004 01:27 PM

Howard: According to Starwood's website, it's the Sheraton NY Hotel and Towers, but I think it is probably referred to as the Sheraton NY among other things.
BTW, Howard, thanks again for the help w/the seating for Ave Q. I went w/your suggestion. I have never gone wrong w/advice from you (and mclaurie too).

HowardR Jul 27th, 2004 05:05 PM

The Sheraton and Hilton add the "and Towers" to some of their major hotels' names to give the properties more elegant-sounding names. The towers refers to their concierge levels.
And, to clarify any further logistical confusion, Konstroma, the two Sheratons in question are not adjacent to each other, but are diagonally across from each other at the corner of 52nd and 7th!

mclaurie Jul 28th, 2004 05:32 AM

Just wanted to mention for anyone wanting to use or accumulate Starwood points, there's a Sheraton Hotel in NYC that never gets mentioned here called the Sheraton Russell. It's not in the same area as the others. It's on 37th & Park (east side) and is a small gem. It's a classic, old world, smaller hotel just a short walk to Grand Central station and the Chyrsler building.

vivi Jul 28th, 2004 05:48 AM

We stayed at the Sheraton Hotel and Towers aout 2 weeks ago. Great location on 7th Ave, next to a subway stop, easy walk to theaters. The lobby is expansive, busy. We were on the 22nd floor, the room was OK, nothing special, kinda dreary, not spotless. It had 2 beds, internet access, was not noisy.

Kostroma Jul 29th, 2004 09:44 AM

Thanks again to everyone. I've decided to book a Club level room at the Towers. The extras seem worth the $$$ to me.

emd Jul 29th, 2004 04:30 PM

KOstrono: Good choice. The breakefast alone is worth it, IMO, and the evening drinks and appetizers and a place to relax aside from your room, read the paper, etc. is a plus. Let us know what you think.

emd Jul 29th, 2004 04:32 PM

geez, so many typos.