Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC: Say "Goodbye" to SheaStadium and... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-say-goodbye-to-sheastadium-and-658392/)

seetheworld Nov 12th, 2006 02:46 PM

NYC: Say "Goodbye" to SheaStadium and...

"Hello" CitiField!

I can't believe it! :(

I guess the honor bestowed upon William A. Shea, Father of the Continental League, can't compete with a $30 million deal. :(

What's next? Will Fenway Park become Prudential Field?

I'm very sad.

Barbara_in_FL Nov 12th, 2006 04:50 PM

It's a cryin' shame.

DebitNM Nov 12th, 2006 04:58 PM

((U)) :'( ((N))

Debi

wantsomesun Nov 12th, 2006 05:35 PM

And,,,,,I heard on the news last night it is to be called City Field or maybe Citi Field, and word on that?

seetheworld Nov 12th, 2006 06:05 PM

Citigroup bought the sponsorship, so it will be called CitiField.

It's just not right! :(

Bunkhedena Nov 13th, 2006 05:30 AM

Does anyone have $30 million to spare.

Maybe we can match the bid and call it the Flushing Bowl

mclaurie Nov 13th, 2006 06:22 AM

#-O

CitiStadium would be better than CitiField.

L84SKY Nov 13th, 2006 06:46 AM

I admit to not knowing a lot about sports and stadiums but I don't understand what the big deal is.

When these companies rename stadiums aren't they also contracting for the upkeep of the stadium? Or do they just give 30 million bucks to your city?
That's a nice chunk of change.
And don't the people just keep calling it by the old name? If someone was in a taxi and told the driver to take them to, "Shea Stadium", wouldn't you end up at that place?

I really don't understand but then again I haven't thought that much about our own "Petco Park" and up until this morning, I've never typed it.

SAnParis Nov 13th, 2006 06:46 AM

It's a shame about the name, but you ceratinly needed a new stadium.

thit_cho Nov 13th, 2006 07:38 AM

I have been a Mets fan since the early '70s, and this is the least of my concerns. They can call the place Steinbrenner Stadium, so long as the received $20 million to spend on talent.

Barbara_in_FL Nov 13th, 2006 08:45 AM

Now, that would really be a low blow, no matter how much $$ was involved.

seetheworld Nov 13th, 2006 03:58 PM

I like the stadium as is. I can think of other stadiums that need replacement long before Shea.

Call me a sentimental softy, I guess.

And lest we forget, the Mets got a bit farther this season than them damn Yankees. :D

razzledazzle Nov 13th, 2006 04:47 PM

Awww stw, I'm sorry. Don't worry, it won't stay CitiField forever-the next high bidder will come along and the name will change or some other company
will buy Citi and the name will change.

Trust me on this, I, who go regularly to
Pac Bell Park, I mean SBC Park, no wait a minute...AT&T Park !

:))

We did need a new stadium as the Giants were sharing with the 49'ers and it was
yucky to go to a Ball game. The new stadiums I have been to here, St. Louis,truly are fabulous-I hope you will find the same after some time.

Hugs,
R5

rb_travelerxATyahoo Nov 14th, 2006 08:39 AM

When the arena in Albany NY was built, the county (paying for the project) actually had a vote to decide the name, which decided that "Knickerbocker Arena", or "the Knick" was to be the name.

But they sold out to a "cola" company for 15 years or so, and come Jan 1 it will be re-named for a local newspaper. I think I'm the only one who still calls it "the Knick". Probably would have been best for each of the venues mentionned in this thread to have been privately built (and named) right from the get-go, then government building these structures, which most often become "white elephants"

What taxpayer-funded building will be renamed next? Will we eventually have the White Walmart House and the Exxon/Mobil Legislative Center of Capitol Hill?

Bunkhedena Nov 14th, 2006 12:41 PM

The Mets are getting $20 million a year for the naming rights. (That is 20% of last years payroll.) They are building the stadium with private funds (even though they are getting some major City subsidies). I don't think most Mets fans will object to the name if they use that money to sign good players.

Since a lot of people think of NYC as the City, I don't think that CitiField is as bad as Petco or Enron.

The Yankees are also building a new stadium. Since Yankee Stadium is a cathedral and Shea is a dump, I'll be a lot more upset if the name of Yankee Stadium is changed.

CheBird Nov 14th, 2006 01:22 PM

Somehow it used to be a lot more charming when big companies named ballparks - like Wrigley Field.

zmoney Nov 14th, 2006 03:34 PM

i will miss SHEA but it's the worst ballpark in the major leagues. they need to upgrade and i'm so excited about the NEW SHEA. they can call it whatever they want bc i'm gonna call it SHEA. like one of the other posters said, at least it's not ENRON, PETCO, BANKONE, SAFECO, etc.

AJPeabody Nov 14th, 2006 07:11 PM

Yup. Sell the names to everything. Sport stadium renaming is routine. They are selling the names of events! The New York Marathon had a corporate name this year. What's next? The Budweiser Super Bowl? The Gillette World Series?

I foresee the spread of this to anything that can take a name. Let's start with hurricanes. I'm sick of the Anna's and Melvin's. Sell 'em to the highest bidder. Hurricane Cadillac! Better yet, charge by the number. A level 3 hurricane should cost more than a dinky level 1. "Hurrricane CocaCola, a Level 4 storm, has severely damaged the Pepsi Empire State Building in Warren Buffet City."

Heck! We just had an election to see who could buy the best candidates. Let's make it legal. Senator Boeing could REALLY be Senator Boeing! Re-elect Governor BigOil!

Oh, oh! Let's sell holidays, too! Merry Macy*s Day, and a Happy New MicroSoft Windows!