NYC Rihga Royal Hotel/fabulous 2 nights in the city/exc dining

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2006, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had posted prior for recs for a suite room in NYC, quiet rooms, b/c daughter is still gaining strength after illness, with option for one bedroom and living space with open up couch for me.

The recs from fodorites were right on, once again.

The staff at Righa was wonderful, our room on the 28th floor so quiet you could literally hear a pin drop - clean, plenty of room and even a pull out couch for me that one could actually get a night's sleep on - made up perfectly each night complete with chocolates and robe on bed, and the french doors that closed tightly, and gave privacy being mirrored and not glass, were perfect so once could watch tv while the other slept - and with the separate area outside of bathroom where one had mirror/outlets/counter while other in bathroom.

Perfect location for what business she had to do one morning in the city. They are in the midst of some renovations while transitioning to a London NYC hotel - so while the restaurant isn't open (although chef Gordon Ramsey will be opening the restaurant) and Waterworks doing the baths, Irish designer David Colling the interiors and public spaces - you would never know it, as they promised, they are doing small spaces at a time and so far no interruptions to guests - or noise. They do still offer room service.

Had as always, a great dinner at China Grill, breakfast at Le Pain Quotidien, caught a quick pizza with a friend at Bella Napoli on Madison while daughter at her appt., (as I navigated my way through the streets busy with St. Patrick's Day parade!), and enjoyed a bite at an Afghani restaurant near daughters apt where we had to drop off some things, at Bamiyan on 358 3rd /corner of 26th.

Links if you haven't been and are interested in any of these are:
www.bamiyan.com
www.chinagrillmanagement.com

Back home again via Amtrak quiet car, and just wanted to post how pleased we were with this hotel choice. Would definitely stay there again if I needed to be in this area, and wanted more space than say either Sheraton (it was SO much quieter in the rooms than at either Sheraton) - also still love the Michelangelo, even though our rooms there have had a sitting area, it wasn't separate which is fine when not looking for that added space/sleeping area, but if I needed or wanted more 'suite type' space, this would be the place.

Old Feb 12th, 2008, 12:17 PM

escargot, my husband booked a night at the now London as a treat for the both of us. They have finished the transition and remodel and I can't wait to visit!

I'm trying to decide if I want to treat ourselves to dinner at one of Ramsey's restaurants. I know my husband was not that impressed with GR at Claridges (UK), so I'm on the fence.

I hope your DD is doing well, almost a year later.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

seetheworld you must report how it was ! I've been inthe city many times since this trip and just keep forgetting to peek in - give us all the details -

Thank you, yes, my daughter had a wonderful recovery and is going strong - and this week juggling a few new job offers - so in that sense it is a deja vu, since she was interviewing in 06 too ! Can't seem to get her to leave that city......

Old Feb 12th, 2008, 04:17 PM
Original Poster

blimey ! it's almost 2 years later ! ..... times flies faster so it seems, the older I get.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 05:13 PM

Oh my! Yes, it's two years later!!

Old Feb 12th, 2008, 06:41 PM

well, escargot, that's what happens when you travel at a "snail's" pace!
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

excellent Patrick
Old Feb 13th, 2008, 05:47 AM

I think it's worth pointing out (the reference is a little vague above) that the Rihga Royal Hotel being discussed in this post is now called "The London NYC".