NYC Restaurant recs. for older teen/college age

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spending 8 days in NYC in July. Me plus DD (17), then DS (21) will join us later.

Very diverse tastes: I'm up for anything, but my kids have pretty simple tastes. No Asian, Middle Eastern, or seafood. One thing we have in common: We loathe pretension and attitude while dining.

1. Need some recs for a special "First night in NYC" meal w/ my DD - good food and service, no stuffiness.

2. Also need some recs for a pre-theatre meal that meets the above requirements.

3. We want to avoid chains at all costs. Maybe some neighborhood bistros (Village? Union Square?)as well.

BTW -- we're staying in the Columbus Cr. area for 4 days, then Midtown East. But we can hop a subway or grab a cab if need be.

Forgive me -- I know these are highly specific requests. I've checked chowhound and menu pages, but I've found them to be so subjective - one person will love a place, then the next person slams it!.

I'm just a mom trying to make sure my family has a good time in NYC. I appreciate any help/advice.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 08:22 AM

You've left out one key piece of information: How much do you want to spend on your various meals?
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Hi there Howard

Not looking for cheap eats exactly. If I can meet the above requirements I consider it $ well spent!

We're not planning on a "dining experience" every night. We're going to be busy exploring, etc. and will grab a quick bite at Cosi, or one of the food courts (Grand Central, Manhattan Mall or Time Warner Center.)

But we would like to have a few good, memorable meals as well.

thanks for asking!
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 08:34 AM
Original Poster

PS --

Son is a very laid back college student, so dress code must be farily casual.

thanks again!
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 08:48 AM

You really should peruse this forum as well as Citysearch, Fodors, Digital City, etc. There are literally thousands of options that fit your criteria.

Another suggestion: Relax. Play it by ear. Most places have menus posted.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 09:51 AM

So for the group you're looking for American comfort (diner) food? Italian? French? Anything else?

Places son can be casual (how casual - cut-off jeans, tee and sneakers? Or will he do a polo and khakis?)

Are you looking for amusement even if the food isn;t that great (Ellen's Stardust Diner with the singing wait staff?)

Carmine's (loud, busy - with mass quantities of red sauce Italian?) Or Trattoria del Arte (hunge ceramin nose in the window, also kind of loud, busy - good antipasto and the food somewhat better than Carmine's - wait staff are mostly actors and can be fun)

Cafe Un Deix Trois (good before theater) traditional French bistro - but something for everyone - and paper tablecloth with crayons for drawing?

These are all inexpensive to low/moderate for dinner.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 09:53 AM

Sorry - If the kids really want Friday's or wahtever - why not send them off to eat there while you get something decent? You don;t hae to be joined at the hip every second.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 10:20 AM

It's funny, we usually chastise people for not being specific about their restaurant requests. You've been so specific and ruled out so much, I'm having a hard time coming up with suggestions. But since you haven't gotten many answers, I'll take a stab.

For your first night with daughter, some ideas are
>Artisanal, French brasserie known for their huge cheese selection (but you can eat other things). They have fondue, a prix fixe menu if you want it. It's on east 32 st so if you wanted to go have a look at the Empire State after dinner, you could walk.

>Gramercy Tavern is considered by many to be the best rest. in NYC. It's American food. You can eat in the more casual front bar room without a reservation.

>The River Cafe in Brooklyn is poo pooed by some as touristy and over-priced but it's still the quinessential view/good food place in NYC. They treat everyone like royalty and no one I know has complained about snooty service.

>Kitchen 22 or 82 are reasonably priced Americans, owned by chef Charlie Palmer. Biggest downside, no reservations and long waits.

If you want to stay closer to your hotel, Rue 57 or Trattoria Dell 'Arte,

For pre-theater, the ideal place for you is Joe Allen. Good old basic American, casual atmosphere. Good burgers, salad, chili. The only thing I've ever had there I didn't like was the lobster roll.

Also, Angelo's for excellent brick oven pizza (there's one near your hotel on west 57 st) but they've recently opened one in the Ed Sullivan theater on Broadway & 50th.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 10:28 AM

Here are a couple of ideas:

Delta Grill, corner of 9th Avenue and 48th Street. Casual, lively atmosphere, youngish crowd, good food with a Cajan accent, but sounds like something they'd really like. Also has a young, friendly staff, and not an ounce of attitude.

Jezebel: corner of 9th Avenue and 45th Street. Great for pre-theatre. Perhaps the best fried chicken you could ever eat, and good "down-home" Southern cooking and soulfood -- I saw them delivering huge vats of lard one day, so now I know why the chicken is so good. Neat atmosphere, porch swings, crystal changeliers, African art. While the waiters all wear black tuxes, they are very laid back -- no attitude.

Also in the theatre district, either Joe Allen's on 46th between 8th and 9th, or Angus MacIndoe's on 44th between 7th and 8th (next to The Producers). Simple American style food, lively bar scene, laid back style. Both are popular with theatre folk, more after, than before theatre.

Hit a major deli or two. Second Avenue Deli, or Katz' would be great choices.

nytraveler, I don't get your statement. Didn't you see Brookside says they want to avoid chains at all costs? Just because someone doesn't like "TGI Friday's!
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 10:30 AM

Weird things happening today. What happened to the rest of my last sentence? "Just because someone doesn't like exotic foods, doesn't mean they love TGI Friday's!"
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 10:41 AM
mp

I would recommend Beacon at 25 W. 56th (bet. 5th & 6th) - terrific New American Food - relatively upscale, but you can be comfortable there in jeans and a polo shirt. Very gracious, easy going service,.

Also Maurizio on W. 13th St. between 5th and 6th - delicious, informal Tuscan trattoria.

Gavroche on W.14th between 7th and 8th - lovely garden in the back, very good traditional French (steak frites/mussels/roast chicken)

Via Emilia - informal, fresh pasta/Northern italian in Flatiron- 240 Park Avenue South bet. 19th & 20th.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 02:38 PM

I was assuming the parents want to avoid TGI Friday's - not necessarily the kids - who seem to adore these places.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

I loooove this forum!

McLaurie, Patrick, MC -- THANKS so much for the excellent suggestions!Even with all the research I've done, I haven't heard about many of these. Thanks for taking care to recommend some places close to our hotel, too!

Patrick -- Isn't Jezebel where a lot celebs go for soul food? It sounds great -- but a reviewer on menupages said the staff were completely rude -- have you found this to be true? Joe Allens and Angus's sound perfect, too.

McL - I've heard of Kitchen 22 -- maybe we'll try to get in for an early dinner there! And Artisenal sounds fantastice -- DD loves fondue!

There's simply too much to choose from -- it's overwhelming! And I know from experience that with my family at least, it's better to have a plan, and a back-up. I've had too many perfect days ruined where we're exhausted,cranky and snapping at each other by dinnertime. Too late for a reservation, and don't feel like waiting, so we end up eating Triscuits and squeeze cheese or something similarly awful for dinner!

Again, thanks so much for the thoughtful replies!
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 04:54 PM

rude waiters at Jezebel? Are you kidding? I can't imagine such a thing, they're so laid back and friendly.
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Yeah I know -- "attitude and "soul food" simply don't belong in the same sentence -- maybe this is another reason not to trust menupages.com?

BTW, just read your trip report, Patrick! Excellent -- I'm so looking forward to our visit (my first time -- dontcha know!)
Old Jun 12th, 2005, 05:55 PM

Let's see. . .fondue at Artisenal or squeeze cheese from a can. Guess which one I'd choose?