Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC restaurant help (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-restaurant-help-751492/)

ga9497 Dec 3rd, 2007 09:15 AM

NYC restaurant help

Can anyone recommend a restaurant in midtown not too far, walking distance, from 5th ave and Rockefeller Center

We are looking at keeping it reasonable with entrees not being over $30

We are open to any type of cuisine
We are 2 couples getting together in a couple of weeks

Thanks for any info

travelbuff2 Dec 3rd, 2007 09:31 AM

Right around Rock Center, you will find more expensive restaurants or fastish food.

I'd recommend Cafe 1,2,3 on 43rd St just west of 6th Ave. Good food in your price range and great deserts. French/American.

Have a great time while you are here.

ga9497 Dec 3rd, 2007 10:03 AM

Do you happen to have a website for Cafe 1,2,3? I did a search and couldn't find it anywhere

kgk52 Dec 3rd, 2007 10:51 AM

Try searching for Cafe Un Deux Trois, (1,2,3 in French).

dmlove Dec 3rd, 2007 10:58 AM

That worked, at least for menupages access.

http://tinyurl.com/3yo78a

mclaurie Dec 3rd, 2007 11:13 AM

Menupages.com will allow you to do some research on your own. Rock. Ctr. is at Fifth ave. & 48-51 st. so many places in west 40's, west 50's and some places in the east 40's and 50's would work. To say any type of cuisine doesn't help your cause here for specific ideas. What time of day? What day of week? That area is just crazy/busy at this time of year.

The 21 Club is nearby, very NY'y, very Christmassy and has some prix fixe lunches and dinners that make it more affordable, but men have to wear tie and jacket for dinner.
21club.com

estravel Dec 3rd, 2007 02:07 PM

We enjoyed dinner last month at Simply Pasta on 41st betw. 6th & 7th. Very casual italian and easy sound level for talking.

dmlove Dec 3rd, 2007 02:19 PM

We've had dinner at Simply Pasta (several years ago) and it was good. We tried to return this trip, but the kitchen was closed by the time we got there (9:00?)

NeoPatrick Dec 3rd, 2007 04:23 PM

I was intriqued by this "new" place -- Cafe 1,2,3. But I'd never heard of calling Cafe Un, Deux, Trois by that name.
If that doesn't suit, there are some really good upscale restaurants you might want to try if you care to splurge a little more.
Mushroom is good as is The Frog. The Circus is pricey, but less so than By Itself.

Oh yes. If you're looking those up you might want to look under Chanterelle, Le Grenouille, Le Cirque, and Per Se.

nytraveler Dec 3rd, 2007 04:28 PM

It's always been called Cafe Un Deux Trois - but most American like to avoid their poor French pronunciation and so call if 1 2 3.

It's a fine bistro for a casuale dinner but nothing special. Most of the more special places in that are you'll have to shop carefully to keep dinner entrees under $30.

teach2travel Dec 3rd, 2007 04:36 PM

bookmarking

mdn Dec 3rd, 2007 05:16 PM

Hmmm. So many wonderful restaurants in this city. Unfortunately, around the Rock Center area there aren't too many of my favorite places, except some expensive ones like Le Bernardin.
The only one that I can honestly recommend is Fresco, an italian place.

mp Dec 3rd, 2007 06:18 PM

Reasonable is not a term usually used when discussing midtown restaurants but here goes a few that are almost within that $30 entree figure:

One of my favorites in midtown is Beacon - delicious wood-fired New American food - entrees range from $18 - $40. 25 W. 56th St. between 5th and 6th.

Tse Yang very upscale Chinese - 34 E. 51st.

Aquavit Cafe - delicious scandinavian food - almost worth the $$ - the cafe is in your price range, the restaurant is not . . .

Tuscan Square - not great food, but solid and can be within your reach - 16 W. 51st St.

Mclaurie is dead on - check out menus at www.menupages.com - and good luck.

oceankayaker7 Dec 4th, 2007 12:30 AM

www.zagat.com...you can look up the restaurants in the west 50's. Le Bernardin, La Grenouille and 21 are going to be much more than $30 an entree.

Aduchamp1 Dec 4th, 2007 06:17 AM

Cafe Un, Deux, Trois, is a bistro not French haute cuisine. That is steak frite, moule frite, roasted chicken and probably burgers.I havenot eaten there in years. It is acceptable but not in the league of the downtown bistors such as Casimir, Cafe De Veille, Flea Market, and Le Tableau.

nstevey Dec 5th, 2007 09:04 AM

I work in Rock Center and go here all the time for great Szechuan.

http://www.menupages.com/restaurantd...taurantid=3653

GoTravel Dec 5th, 2007 10:04 AM

The Burger Joint in Le Parker Meridian on between 56th and 57th between Sixth and Seventh Avenues.

The Brooklyn Diner almost on the Southwest corner of West 57th and Seventh Avenue.

Angelos Coal Oven Pizza on West 57th between Sixth and Seventh.

All under $15 and very good.

ga9497 Dec 11th, 2007 09:49 AM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone