Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC: Pregnant and desperately seeking fashion! (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-pregnant-and-desperately-seeking-fashion-883408/)

LJ Mar 24th, 2011 06:59 AM

NYC: Pregnant and desperately seeking fashion!

DD and I are off to NYC for a weekend in April. Staying midtown Manhattan, catch a concert, maybe a play, visit with friends and 'do' the galleries-that is the plan. But mostly we want to shop.

Our charming but not-fashion-forward small town does not have much on offer for 'bold' design in maternity wear and DD is hard to fit from online sources. (She is/was a very petite 5' 2" and 110 lbs before the grandchild-to-be re-shaped her tiny frame!)

So where do you suggest we look for creative design without spending so much we have nothing left for great dining (our other mutual passion)?

Dukey1 Mar 24th, 2011 08:16 AM

Topping and do tell us where that charming town without great shopping you live in is

vjpblovesitaly Mar 24th, 2011 08:18 AM

If your town is not fashion forward, what does it matter what you wear?

elberko Mar 24th, 2011 08:29 AM

Lunenburg, Nova Scotia is exactly how you describe it!

Sorry, don't knoe the answer to your question, but I think your request is perfectly reasonable, there's no reason your daoughter can't dress as SHE likes no matter where she lives.

~Liz

KatieL Mar 24th, 2011 08:30 AM

I'm sorry I can't help with NY options, but I feel your DD's pain! I have the opposite problem, (5'10" in need of tall sizes), but have always had problems with maternity clothes. In Chicago I was pleasantly surprised at the selection of maternity clothes at H&M. The prices are fine too. Other than that, I don't have much to tell you. Online shopping has always worked best for me, since most stores don't carry tall's (or petite's, probably), but I've done a TON of returning to online places too.

Good luck, and let me know if you find any gems!!!

alovesa Mar 24th, 2011 10:08 AM

Have heard good things about the bump in Brooklyn.
Could also suggest non-maternity, but flowy clothes from Calypso (around the city).

Here's a list from NYMag, but call first (I believe Cadeau has closed, for example):
http://nymag.com/urban/guides/family.../maternity.htm

Good luck!

LJ Mar 24th, 2011 12:52 PM

Thank you, alovesa, will use your info...its true, I do live in wonderful Lunenburg, NS (now I do, am a recent ex-pat Torontonian) and DD lives in Halifax...where Sears, Walmart and Zellers are the options for maternity wear. Wonderful retail outlets all but there is something soul-destroying about buying your clothing just two aisles over from plumbing supplies and giant bags of dogfood.

I don't actually feel that the decision to wear interesting mat. wear requires justification, but as the question was posed, DD works in the not-for-profit and artistic field. She wears a lot of vintage stuff and makes her own clothes, too and has always been chic, cheeky and flamboyant on a show-string budget. I thought this weekend away would be more 'us' than more traditional mother-daughter pre-birth activities: we are not baby shower types.

nytraveler Mar 24th, 2011 04:46 PM

Don;t know if you've checked a Pea in the Pod - a friend of mine got some good things - but this was about 8 years ago. Not sure where the store is.

sobster Mar 24th, 2011 06:47 PM

Belly Dance Maternity-548 Hudson St, (West Village)

ahl721 Mar 24th, 2011 06:56 PM

Rosie Pope and Veronique (more expensive) on the Upper East Side are two great but pricey maternity boutiques. Destination Maternity has everything you could imagine (contains two maternity stores at different price points - downstairs is more expensive but has great sales, upstairs is much less expensive and still has really nice things). Have fun!!!

ggreen Mar 24th, 2011 07:46 PM

I just walked by bump this afternoon and remembered seeing this post. It's on the very northern edge of Park Slope, Brooklyn - easy to get to from midtown and a nice neighborhood with plenty of cute shops and great places to eat, though I'm not sure Brooklyn is part of your plan!

If I can entice you out here, you could take the subway to the Atlantic/Pacific station and visit the Brooklyn Flea (www.brooklynflea.com), then hop back on the 2/3 line one stop to Bergen (it's not a far walk, but the stretch between is a busy traffic area plus a lot of construction). Bump is right there on Bergen, along with a brand new Ricky's drugstore (an NYC institution) and a bunch of other boutiques. Turn left onto 5th Ave for plenty more shops, including Beacon's Closet, a mecca of second-hand consignment stuff, one of I think three or four consignment shops on that stretch of the avenue. (NY Mag would be a good resource for addresses etc.) Lots of great places for brunch or dinner if your friends want to join you!

That aside, if your daughter is shopping on a budget, you should definitely check out H&M; there are a number of locations in Manhattan.

Chime in if you want to know more about Brooklyn; I'd be happy to answer your questions!

LJ Mar 25th, 2011 08:48 AM

This is great information and although I don't know much about Brooklyn, that sounds very intriguing: thanks all!

Will do a trip report when we get back.

I truly don't know what I would do without Fodors...

travelbuff Mar 25th, 2011 10:15 AM

Macy's has a maternity department so you might start there, and they will probably have lots of options. The style this spring I noticed seems to be sort of flowy clothing so you might be able to find things not maternity but with enough fabric top to work, and I'd suggest right next door to Macy's is Conway, very cute tops very reasonably priced.

There are several mom-to-be shops around the city likely to be more expensive, but worth a stop, and Pea in the Pod, and I think there are a couple of locations on the upper east side you might google them.

There are vintage shops all over the city and again a google will give you some options and addresses.

NY Mag will give you lots of ideas including maybe sample sales.

Hope that helps a bit.

socialworker Mar 25th, 2011 01:01 PM

Just a suggestion, since I don't see many of the usual Lounge posters chiming in here.... maybe you could try re-posting there. Often there are *LOTS* of fashion posts there and maybe someone there can be of assisitance.

sandi Mar 25th, 2011 02:13 PM

All the preggy gals I see these days are wearing regular clothing and proudly showing their bumps. And, seems that as they bump out farther, just up the size.

There are quite a number of maternity specific shops in NYC as mentioned above, but unless you luck out with sale items, these can be pricey.

Check out Macy's or Bloomies.

mclaurie Mar 26th, 2011 03:38 AM

As sandi says, a lot of women just wear regular clothes these days. They may buy the maternity pants or skirts but then buy regular tops. I'd definitely check H & M though (high fashion at very affordable prices). There's one near Macy's on 34th st. and another near Bloomingdales on Lexington & 59th st. Here's another list with many of the names already mentioned. http://manhattan.about.com/od/family...pmaternity.htm

LJ May 4th, 2011 11:55 AM

Trip was a great success for both (all!) of us thanks to you all...posting a trip report.