NYC pre theatre dinners with 9 & 12 year olds

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're a family of 4 and will be in NYC in October. Seeing Hairspray (Neil Simon Theatre) and Wicked (Gershwin) on two of our evenings. Could you please recommend restaurants that are close by, good for pre-theater meal with children this age? They are willing to try foods..not just the chicken finger type! Specifically, could you recommend a seafood and Italian option? Or maybe a must try that we shouldn't miss? Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 11:30 AM

Ellen's Stardust Diner was highly recommended, but the timing didn't work out for us to go.

We enjoyed Italian at Becco. I don't know, however, if they can prepare children's portions (my kids are 11, 14 and 16 and all ate adult portions.) We also enjoyed John's Pizzaria.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 11:32 AM

One of my favorite places is Vynl Diner, a comfort food place with an Asian twist. In the diner-type category, there's also Ellen's Stardust, which might suit your 9YO a bit better than the pre-teen... One other option is for Junior's, a Brooklyn institution renowned for its cheesecake, which has recently opened a restaurant in Times Square.

For Italian in Times Square, I recommend Carmine's - but it's family style, and large portions!

Go to menupages.com for menus and user reviews - it's really helpful!
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 12:03 PM

Both those shows happen to be in theaters on west 51-52 st. so many of the typical Times Square restaurants will be a bit further away (40's). Maria Pia is an Italian nearby that has a prix fixe dinner for $22 (or a la carte) and they also own Roberto Passon which is well liked on this board (a la carte and affordable). (look on menupages.com for reviews and details)

Good seafood restaurants in midtown tend to be pricey. The only kid friendly seafood place I can think of in the area is Bubba Gump's but I wouldn't recommend it. Ruby Foo's (Asian) I think is fun and tasty. Not cheap but portions are good sized and you can do some sharing.

You need reservations at any of these places.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 05:24 PM

At 8th/51st, along Restaurant Row, you will find ViceVersa. They have great Northern Italian food.

www.viceversarestaurant.com

Thingorjus
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 05:59 PM

Missypie, you lucked out by not being able to make the Stardust diner!!! We've been there twice with my children (3 and 6) and both times the food was TERRIBLE...barely edible! My son wouldn't even eat the macaroni and cheese! The draw of Ellen's Stardust diner is the atmosphere...it is great fun for the kids. They have a train that runs around the top of the wall, and the wait staff is dressed in 50's clothing. The music is loud and the staff sings along and dances and gets the crowd involved. Just don't expect good (or even decent!) food! I do agree with the other posters that Carmines and John's Pizza are good options. John's Pizza is in an old church and serves brick oven pizzas and Italian food. the food at both places is good, but I don't believe either take reservations for parties of 4 and the wait can be long!!!
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 08:04 PM

mong, I'm sorry you had a bad experience at Ellen's; I've never had a bad meal there. I don't exactly frequent the place, but when my niece and nephew are in town, or my friends with their kids, we inevitably end up at the Stardust. The menu is large and runs towards classic American fare. The kids always love the singing waitstaff.
Old Aug 27th, 2007, 09:36 PM

I agree Ellen's is a good choice with kids and it won't break the bank. The menu is large and I've been there many times and never had a bad meal, but it's diner food, burgers, sandwiches, and oh yes the Chocolate shakes, are very GOOD.

Another suggestion in Times Square would be Ollie's which is an asian/chineese joint, lol, just off 8th Ave at 43rd or 44th. Good food, fast service, large portions and cheap. Very kid friendly.

If you want something a bit nicer try some of the restaurants on restaurant row (49th ST), most of the eateries in Times Square are tourist spots, not great food, or fast food.

Enjoy!!!!
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 02:05 AM

Restaurant Row is 46th street between 8 & 9th
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 04:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone! I will do some menupages research. We are seeing a matinee of Grease the Saturday we're there and had already decided on John's Pizzeria before the show. Also, on our arrival night, I think we've chosen Ellen's Stardust Diner. The girls can't wait to hear the waitstaff sing! I made a reservaion at Maria Pia (thanks to your suggestions) prior to Hairspray. So, all I lack is a meal before Wicked at the Gershwin and maybe a quick bite Saturday night after Grease. Any thoughts? Thanks again, everyone!
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 05:21 AM

I think you've made some good choices.

FYI: The Ollie's at Times Square is now closed.

Vice Versa, though wonderful, isn't really a family restaurant, and I wouldn't recommend it for younger kids.

Carmine's doesn't take reservations for fewer than 6 or 8, making wait times up to 3 hours in Times Square, so I can't recommend that very enthusiastically, though I love the food and you can sometimes get a table early or late without too much trouble. You could try the Upper West Side location, though, which has big but somewhat more manageable crowds, especially early.

Virgil's is an OK option, but the quality has been slipping lately, and I'm not as enthusiastic as I once was, but it's a good place for lunch because the sandwiches (and esp. the hot dogs) are great.

Dallas BBQ (very cheap rotisserie chicken) on 42nd might also be an option for kids, though the food is very greasy.

I'm really not fond at all of Ellen's Stardust Diner, but it may be a big hit with the kids, so I can't disagree with your going there.

Mars 2112 across the street also has very unmemorable food, but it's a kitschy experience for kids.

If you want to splurge, try Churrascaria Plataforma on 49th, just west of 8th Avenue for all-you-can-eat meat menu (it may be cheaper for kids, but adults are $50, so this is a very pricey place).

The better (and cheaper) restaurants in the theater district are on 9th Avenue, and many of these places are much much better than the touristy places you find closer to Times Square, and it's just 2 blocks away. I'd encourage you to look there.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 06:32 AM

Doug, thanks for the updates! I had no idea that the TS Ollie's had closed... Also, most of my friends with kids say to pass on Mars 2112 - for the money, they'd rather go to Ellen's and spend the savings at Toys R Us!

krgjcg, for after your matinee, you might want to check out Island Burgers & Shakes on 9th Ave. It's a small, casual place with great burgers and grilled chicken sandwiches. The only issue is that there are sooo many choices for toppings! Oh, and they don't have french fries (chips or baked potatoes only). Terrific milkshakes.
Old Aug 28th, 2007, 09:57 AM

To be honest, it's not clear to me if Ollie's is being redone or has simply closed. There was some kind of sign there last time I passed a couple of weeks ago. I'd be interested to know if anyone has heard anything about its future.

Old Aug 29th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone for helping us pick out some restaurants for our trip to NYC. I still have one night I'd like to get a reservation for. That would be a Friday night before we see Wicked at 8pm. So far, we'll be eating at Ellen's Stardust (wed pm), Maria Pia (Thurs. pm) , John's Pizzeria (lunch Sat. before matinee) and maybe Island Burgers & Shakes at some point on the trip. What would you put in my empty slot on Friday night? We are open to different things and don't need super kid friendly since our girls are 9 & 12 and like a variety of foods. I'm also not worried about price. On another note, is it worth our time to travel up to Serendipity at some point? I've always wanted to take the girls there, but have read some really bad reviews about the wait and the staff's attitude. Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 07:22 PM

Are you all talking about the old Ollie's next to Carmine's on 44th? Yes, that closed months ago. They reopened on 42nd just west of 9th Avenue -- almost next to West Bank Cafe. I know they had moved before mid May when we were there.

One word of "warning" about Island Burgers and Shakes. They have NO french fries. I know some youngsters (and oldsters too) get really upset about that.
Old Aug 29th, 2007, 09:11 PM

Oh kids in NY you HAVE to take them to Pomm Fritte (spelling?) in the East Village on 2nd Ave just south of St. Mark's Place. The fries there are amazing, and they have lots of sauces to try with the fries. The place is VERY SMALL, and there is always a line out the door.

Oppps sorry, have to go, heading downtown for some fries,,,,,,,,yum!!!
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 10:05 AM

Good riddance to Ollie's if it's closed. I second Junior's. A new branch of the Brooklyn restaurant opened in Times Square and I'm sure there will be lots on the menu for them, plus it should be fun.
Old Sep 1st, 2007, 02:18 PM

I am also taking a couple of younger children (10 year olds) to NYC in October. I have been told to go to Trattoria Trecolori on West 47th in the theatre district for Italian.
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 02:09 PM

We like Ciro's on 8th Ave and 49th Street. Their website is cirotrattoria.com. Also Trattoria Daniella 8th Ave between 45 & 46. They also have a website, but I cannot remember its web address. We have eaten in both with our 11 year old daughter. I would skip, Ellen's Stardust, I think it is very overrated.
Old Sep 2nd, 2007, 08:45 PM

As of last summer Carmines will take a reservations for a very late lunch. If I remember right our reservations have always been around 4:30. Sometimes we have had 2 people and sometimes 4. We have ate there 5 summers in a row with late lunch reservations always before taking in a Broadway show. I take my daughter to NYC every summer and she loves Carmines. We always eat at Johns Pizzaria. Your kids might enjoy Serendipity. It isn't in times square but you could go for lunch. Just make sure to have reservations if you are going there. I have never been there when there hasn't been a line.
In my opinion your not missing a thing by Ollies Noodles Houses closing. But I know a lot of people on this board don't like Carmines and we love it.