Reload this Page >

NYC pre theater dinin

Search

NYC pre theater dinin

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 08:51 AM
pb

NYC pre theater dinin

any ideas for fri pre show dinner place?

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 09:20 AM
lawren

Uh...what kind of food do you want? What amount are you looking to spend? Do you want atmosphere or McDonald's?

Old Sep 9th, 2002, 10:17 AM
Maria

Try Foley's Timesquare. It's mostly seafood. It overlooks Timesquare and is beautiful. The food was very good especially the crab cakes. We went at 5:00 when the opened and stayed until an hour before the show started and walked over to 42nd street.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 07:08 AM
craig

Try the Four Seasons (the restaurant on East 52nd st., not the hotel). They have a good pre-show deal and the food and service are excellent.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 07:36 AM
Judy

Lots of choices on restaurant row (46th bet. 8th & 9th. Here you'll find the good, the bad & the ugly. Give us an idea what you're looking for & how much you want to spend. Becco's is a value priced favorite. Firebird is good if you're looking for classy russian delicasies. What are you in the mood for?

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 06:13 PM
pb

re NYC pre theater dinner:
thanks looking for something besides medonalds- seafood, steaks or pasta!

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 08:37 PM
J

Consider Kyma, a wonderful Greek place with fresh seafood.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 10:49 PM
tweedy

One of our favs before or after the theatre is Cafe 1,2,3. It's right off Times Square so it's close to all the theatres. The food is frenchish, and a good selection. For desert the Creme Brulee, is a MUST.

Have a great time in the city.

Old Sep 10th, 2002, 11:37 PM
lawren

The very best seafood in the area can be had at the Manhattan Ocean Club on 58th Street and Fifth Ave. They begin serving dinner at 4PM. Then you'll have about a 10 block ( 1/2 mile walk ) to your show.

Bring cash. Worth every dime.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 05:38 AM
Howard

OK, pb, you've eliminated seafood, steak and pasta. That helps cut down the possibilities. Still, there's a lot to choose from. Now, how about an idea on a price range? Is French okay? You've a lot of options there.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 05:57 AM
Judy

To Howard: It's funny how different people can read the same post different ways. I'm probably wrong, but I just assumed that pb was saying he wanted somethings besides McDonalds, such as seafood, steaks or pasta. Go figure.

To Tweedy: Just wanted to let pb know that while it may sometimes be referred to as Cafe 123, the actually name of this place is Cafe Un Deux Trois, located @ 123 W 44th. Because if he tries to look it up under Cafe 123 he might not get a listing. It's a sort of a middle of the road place.

To pb: Wherever you ultimately decide to go, most places will offer (in addition to the regular a la carte fare) a special pre-theatre 2 or 3 course prix-fixed meal option that's often a good value.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 06:09 AM
Howard

Lauren, you could be right! So, pb, how about giving all guidelines, and we'll try to help! (PS: Lauren, good correction on Cafe Une, Deux, Trois. Still, I wouldn't recommend it under any name--average food and too noisy!)

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Howard

Oops, that should be Judy, not Lauren on the previous post. Sorry!

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 06:38 AM
Judy

No problem, Howard. Actually, I like the name Lauren. And I agree with you asbout Cafe Un Deux Trois, which is why I said it's just middle of the road, meaning you can do better (and of course you can do worse!).

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 08:10 AM
pb

pre NYC theater dinner-
thanks for all the help- quess really looking for seafood or pasta

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Judy

Ah, pb, the mystery is cleared up.

Well, if you want pasta, Becco, which I mentioned above might be of interest to you. They have a special menu that includes a salad or antipasto to start (that I believe contains a small amount of seafood), and then unlimited servings of three different pasta combinations that are continuously served to you. We've had some unusual and interesting offerings. The pasta selections change each day, and the price for everything is in the low twenties (before tip, tax, beverage, etc.)

Then again, lots of places will offer seafood or pasta selections on their menu.

Old Sep 11th, 2002, 10:20 AM
Howard

Once again, Judy and I agree. Definitely try Becco. And, definitely make reservations (212-397-7597).

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Flynn

Try Luxia on West 48th Street bet. 8th & 9th Avenue. They have a terrific prix fixe 3 course meal for $25. Also a very nice outdoor garden. We had choice of good apps, mains like salmon, chicken, pasta, doublecut delicious porkchop and very tasty desserts. It's not as well known as the ones on Restaurant Row but IMO better; less touristy.