Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC play questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-play-questions-783951/)

pcooper May 11th, 2009 04:56 AM

NYC play questions

My DH & I are going to see South Pacific one night next week, sitting in Orchestra. We don't want to look like complete rubes but I hate to take sportcoat for him for just that one night. Will nice sweater be ok attire for him?
Also, is subway safe to take us back to hotel in Times Square area after play? Doubt can get a taxi. Play is at Lincoln Center.

doug_stallings May 11th, 2009 05:07 AM

The subway is completely safe. Or you could walk. If you want to take a taxi, it will be possible. A lot of taxis go past Lincoln Center, but it's certainly not necessary unless that is your preference.

Most people do not wear sportcoats to the theater anymore, even at Lincoln Center. But it may be too warm to wear a sweater ... of course it may not be since we're still getting some chilly evenings. If you dress business casual, you'll fit right in with the majority of people.

mclaurie May 11th, 2009 07:09 AM

Agree with Doug but if you take the jacket it gives you the option of going to some nicer restaurants.

nytraveler May 11th, 2009 08:40 AM

No need for a jacket unless you're having dinner some place upscale that requires it. I would walk back to the hotel - good to stretch your legs after sitting for so long. but if you prefer the subway is perfectly safe.

TC May 11th, 2009 09:08 AM

Agree completely with dress suggestions. We often walk back to Times Square from Lincoln Center. Its not too terribly far, just follow along with the crowd -- a little window shopping, a little people watching.. and before you know it. Of course, you'll want comfortable shoes is this is the mode of transportation. We have also taken subway. It is perfectly safe. South Pacific is amazing! Enjoy.

jroth May 11th, 2009 10:54 AM

Once again - it is totally safe to walk back to Times Square or take the subway.The only safety problem you might have around Times Square is the hordes of tourists exiting Broadway shows who could push you off the sidewalk.

PamSF May 11th, 2009 01:04 PM

We were at Lincoln Center last year and were surprised at how relatively dressed up we were for how dressed down other folks were. I'd say your husband really doesn't need a sports jacket.

Centralparkgirl May 11th, 2009 01:25 PM

The only time dh wears a sports jacket is to a formal restaurant. Enjoy the performance!

<< the hordes of tourists exiting Broadway shows who could push you off the sidewalk. >>

LOL - I've started walking in the street! Actually, many of the visitors haven't even been to plays - just walking around, going into stores, restaurants, etc. and taking it all in.

SueNYC May 11th, 2009 03:46 PM

Walking is the best idea but you could also take the M104 bus