Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC 'one nighter' help needed (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-one-nighter-help-needed-346677/)

ucsun Aug 10th, 2003 09:14 PM

NYC 'one nighter' help needed

i will be in nyc for 2 days/1 night. would you recommend just staying in jersey to save a couple of bucks or is it more convinient to just stay in the city. if so any areas that would be recommended? thanks

Baxter Aug 10th, 2003 09:17 PM

By all means stay in The City. You may want to try Priceline.com. If you are not familar with it, go to biddingfortravel.com and it tells you how Priceline works and which hotels are in the different star categories in different parts of The City. The most centrally located area would be Midtown East.

djkbooks Aug 10th, 2003 10:26 PM

You must go to biddingfortravel.com and use Priceline! Amazing deals, especially for a one night stay! You can't go wrong with a 4* in Midtown West, Central Park South, Times Square, even Midtown East. You really can stay in a 4* for 2* prices with Priceline!

GoTravel Aug 11th, 2003 12:18 AM

I can think of no good reason to stay in New Jersey when you are doing your sightseeing in Manhattan.

GoTravel Aug 11th, 2003 12:19 AM

Forgot to add, outlying hotels aren't really cheaper. Also add the money it will cost you to commute.

ucsun Aug 11th, 2003 08:14 PM

i will need a room for 3 adults. will i be able to find something like that through priceline.

Carder Aug 11th, 2003 08:20 PM

No, Priceline only guarantees that you will get a room for no more than two people.

puddy Aug 11th, 2003 08:27 PM

Priceline only guarantees a room for 2 adults. Most of the time, you'll get a room with 2 double beds anyway, but according to the biddingfortravel.com site:
"There are hotels at all quality levels in NYC that can accommodate one bed only. Very risky to bid for one room if your party consists of more than two people."

Another option is to try Expedia or Hotels.com if you want to stay in the city. But be sure to check the number of beds.

If you decide to stay in NJ, choose Jersey City. You could use priceline there for the Newport area that will give you easy access to the PATH subway that will take you into Mid-town. For some dates in August, the JC Hyatt Regency is going for as little as $35 a night. It all depends on your budget and your reason for being in the city.

ucsun Aug 11th, 2003 08:49 PM

flying to dc, meeting some friends, and nyc for fun.

uhoh_busted Aug 12th, 2003 04:09 AM

I get a weekly newsletter from Travelzoo.com from which I've taken advantage of two great specials in NYC. The first, a couple months ago, was a $99/night suite at the Beekman Towers. (Easily would sleep 3 adults). Currently the group that includes Beekman and other suite hotels) has a couple of deals that are only a bit more than that. I'd visit www.affinia.com webside to see what they're offering at your time. (I think valet parking overnight was only $25 here) Back to Travelzoo.com -- (you may want to visit their site) Last weekend, we stayed at the Millenium Hilton for $125. This hotel has just recently re-opened. I knew it was near the WTC site, was a bit surprised to discover it was right across the street. Our view from the 47th floor was of the WTC site. Really quite amazing, and fascinating. I don't know if I could have handled it even last year, but once I got over the shock, well, think of an almost pristine and respectful construction site! Of course the backdrop is the Hudson River, with cruise ships and other traffic headed out to sea (or in from the Atlantic). Rooms are equipped with all the latest high tech equipment, including a 42in plasma screen TV. We had a king bed suite, but doubles are available. Parking at this hotel was $45/night. (ouch). You won't need a car in the city. If you are interested in seeing a show while in town, check out fringenyc.com. That is a summer festival running through August and into Sept, I think, with all kinds of off-off Broadway stuff for $15/ticket. From 4-6PM on Sat afternoons in St Marks Square they do previews of shows. There's also free stuff in Central Park. Sunday afternoon we saw Jimmie Cliff in a Reggae Concert. You will enjoy your quick trip.