NYC New Year's Eve Subway

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be going to the Mariott Marquis' New Year's Eve party in Times Square. It ends around 2 a.m., so I'd guess that sometime between 1 and 2 a.m. we will begin the trek back to our hotel - The Carlyle. Though I've been to NYC before, my husband hasn't, and regardless we are both newbies to maneuvering the subway system. Will the subway be running from Times Square up to the Upper East Side after midnight on New Year's Eve? Thanks!
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 11:04 AM

The subway runs 24/7 all year. On New Year's Eve it's usually free (don't know the exact hours for free fare). Some of the stattions in the times sq area may be closed due to the crowds though.

See hopstop.com for subway durections.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 12:11 PM

I'd either take a subway uptown and then a bus crosstown on 79 st. or use an uptown bus on 8th ave and then the crosstown.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 02:18 PM

They haven't done the free subway/bus fares on New Year's Eve for several years now--so don't count on it.
Yes, subways run 24/7 and they will be quite full at that time. Remember that something like a million people will be IN Times Square that night and most of them have to get out of there somehow. 12-1 am should be insane,by 2 am it may be possible to actually get into a train station...
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 03:20 PM

I'm not a subway expert, but wouldn't it be easier to take the shuttle from Times Square to Grand Central and then take the IRT up the East Side?
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 03:38 PM
GoTravel

I'd take the S (You'll see a grey circle with a white S which stands for shuttle) from Times Square (a couple of blocks from the hotel) and transfer to the Lex line (4,5,6) and get off at either 68th Street or 77th Street.

A very easy manuever.

Tons of people will be out and about and the Upper East Side is very safe.

Or you could just hire a car service to pick you up at the hotel.

Old Dec 10th, 2007, 05:17 PM

GoT, Does the S run that late? It used to stop running after midnight--then you had to take the 7 train from Times Square to Grand Central. This still means going to the same stations: Times Square 7 train to Grand Central; 6 train from Grand Central to 77th St.
Old Dec 10th, 2007, 05:52 PM
mp

Ellenm is correct - the S does not run after midnight, you have to take the 7 Flushing line, which goes to the same station.
From the MTA site:
The 42 St Shuttle operates in Manhattan between Grand
Central and Times Square. The shuttle provides a free
transfer between 4, 5, 6, and 7 service at 42 St-Grand
Central and A, C, E, N, Q, R, W, 1, 2, 3, and 7 service at
42 St-Times Square. The shuttle runs at all times except
during late nights, from about 12 midnight to 6 AM.
During these hours customers can use 7 service to travel
between Grand Central and Times Square.

MFNYC is correct that the subway stations at 42nd Street/Times Square are usually closed on New Year's eve - the police funnel people to the uptown stations at 50th Street or 59th Street or downtown to the 34th or 23rd St. Stations, so as not to overwhelm the platforms. Most people end up walking quite a ways.

Your best bet might be to just walk east along 46th Street hoping to find a cab.(Good Luck)

Or you could just walk over to Madison Avenue and get the bus uptown (That's what I would do)

Or you could walk to the 7th Ave stop of the E train (at 53rd St.), and take an uptown direction E to the Lexington Avenue stop. Change there for an uptown 6 train to the 77th Street Street stop.

Or you can ask the Carlyle to arrange for a car service to pick you up.

A good website for this info is www.hopstop.com or the subway info: http://www.mta.info/

This is why lots of NYers just go out in their own neighborhoods on New Years.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 05:15 AM

I'm not sure that car service would work. That hotel is smack in the middle of Times Sq. There's no way a car could get near there, even at 2 a.m.

Old Dec 11th, 2007, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions! The Marriott Marquis actually is suggesting to its party guests that you arrange for a car service to drop off and pick up along the back of the hotel, so maybe that will work? I am considering hiring a car service to pick us up around 1:30 or 2 a.m., but do you think I'll have any trouble using the subway to get from The Carlyle into Times Square around 9 p.m.? Or due to security, will that station be shut off prior to midnight?
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 06:31 AM

do you have any details on this party?? I'm looking for something like this myself. Would rather be inside enjoying the celebration.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

The party is from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. in the Marriott Marquis' Broadway Bar overlooking Times Square and the ball drop. It includes open bar, food and live music. Here is the phone number for the contact person at the Marriott Marquis, Danielle Villaneuva - 212-704-8747 and her e-mail is [email protected]. About two months ago, I took the last two spots on the list, but I do think there is a waiting list you could be placed on just in case. Or maybe something has opened up in the meantime. Good luck!
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 07:11 AM
GoTravel

BudgetQueen, I'm guessing this party is upwards of $1,000 per couple. From your screen name, don't think you'd care for it.

Becca, car service would be your easiest bet.

Just get a list of instructions from your contact and call Dial 7 (212-777-7777) and set it up.

Old Dec 11th, 2007, 08:47 AM

Becca, arriving for the party is going to be much more difficult than you might imagine. By 9pm the subway exits throughout Times Square will be completely closed off, and pedestrian traffic into the Marriott Marquis might also be stopped as well. The Transit Authority posts guidelines for Times Square ... check them on the web site to verify when the exits close. It's pretty early.

Also, ask the hotel what time they suggest you arrive. But 9pm is way too late. I think you have to arrive by 7pm to avoid the closed entrances (and you need to approach from 8th Ave., so be sure you walk through the underground tunnel from Times Square proper to the Port Authority and get out at the 44th Street entrance).

Going back to your hotel will be easier than you might imagine. The last time I went to a party near Times Square, it was very easy to get a cab around 2am to go home (the best place for you to get a cab will probably be on 9th Avenue, but that's only a 10-minute walk from the hotel). If the driver goes west first and then north and back across town above 59th Street, the traffic shouldn't be too bad.
Old Dec 11th, 2007, 09:07 AM

The 42 St subway station will be long closed by 9 pm - since the entire area will be packed starting around 3/4 in the afternoon.

You need to assume you'll have to walk from the next closest station - or take a cab or car service to the back of the hotel.