NYC New Restaurants-The very good, the good, and crime scene tape is needed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24th, 2012, 08:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC New Restaurants-The very good, the good, and crime scene tape is needed

Recent Eats

Maharlika
This is a fabulous Filipino restaurant on First Avenue near 7th Street. The reason why the address is important is that there is another new but god awful Filipino restaurant on First Avenue near 12th Street. This is after one of the best food values in Manhattan called Elvie's closed when the owners some how the forgot to pay their taxes. It happens.

We have only been there once but this has the makings of a destination restaurant. So we need to return at least one more time before making that determination. But everything was sensational starting with free fried chicken skins that greeted you at the table accompanied by a variety of sauces. We had the adobo, bangus (fish in a vinegar wonder sauce, and sizzling sisig which is chopped pig ears, snout and belly and then grilled, boiled, then fried. I guess the Filipinos do not believe in lethal injection or that would have been done also.
The staff is extremely cordial and the atmosphere quiet and cool.
Cash only
Will keep you posted.

_________

BaoBQ

Ok, the name is hokey but so is another one coming up.
This is a small Vietnamese restaurant with no table service but with tables where you can eat and is run by a man who used to work at Nobu. Yet this place is absolutely affordable. We have eaten there five or six times and have not had one bad dish.

Two of my favorites are the Ga Nuong which is grilled spicy chicken and Smoke Pork Spare Rib Bulgogi. The spices are distinctive and delicious. Mrs Adu loves their Pork Belly Satay with angel hair noodles and she must have their store made lemonade.

The owner and the staff truly want you have an excellent meal. My only complaint was a chef in the open kitchen who seemed to have a twitch when he had a knife in his hand. It was more entertainment than fear.

It is one First Ave just south of 14th Street. If you are in the neighborhood, you should try it.

Baohaus

This is another hole in the wall on 14th Street between 2nd and 3rd Ave which is Twainese. There are few places to sit which is my sole complaint.You must have their Chairman Bao (the puns keep coming). It is pork belly braised for four hours in Coca-cola and then grilled with Taiwanese red sugar. This is a spectacular combination served in a pale bao.

All the bao are small so should have at least two.

We also liked Birdhaus bao which is fried chicken and Haus bao which braised beef check served with crushed peanuts and cilantro. That too, is worth the price of admission.

And if that is not enough, they make two types of fries, Taro and Sweet Bao. The taro were not the least bit starchy and Sweet Bao was more like fried dough with a choice of sauces. Addictive.

The baos are all about $3 each and the fries are $3.50 each. Mrs. Adu has there store made ginger maple soda, which she loved but I found tout de suite. (I can add my own pun.)

They are already have a Jereny Lin special which should be a turnover. (another pun)

So if you are in neighborhood, try it.

Doug and Fodor's staff you should sample this place as a possibility to be added your guide in the future.

Village Taverna

This is a Greek place on University that has become an instant success. Fortunately for us they do not adhere to the austerity program because everything was oversized and delicious. The owner and the staff all looked like they just got out of prison, so I doubt anyone runs out on the bill. The offer standard stuff, but I had the gyro platter and the meat was actually plump and moist instead of being three seconds away from being used to mend an animal skin canoe.

As soon as you sit they slide a plate before you with pita that was been paninied and a dish filled with olives and redolent olive oil onto the table. Mrs. Adu had the Yemista, which is red peppers stuffed with ground beef and rice. The tastes were distinct. The baklava was not swimming in honey but took a cool dip and made it a perfect dessert.
________

Now for the worst.
The Meatball Factory, this is an evil imitation of the much loved Meatball Shop

There is nothing to recommend this joint. It is supposed to uber hip with a dimly light bar and young staff, but maybe like the Nazis they want to get them young when they know nothing and then they are theirs forever.

You are supposed to choose from different types of meatballs, heretofore called balls and then choose a sauce of your liking. There were three of us and all our combinations were like mismatched shoes.
The balls were mushy and the sauces were mediocre. This was like middle school home ec class run wild. We also ordered poutine which is Canadian dish of french fries with cheese, and the scrapings from a Zamboni.

We did not stick around for the desserts.
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 03:13 AM

G-d bless you, Aduchamp! Real food!
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 03:22 AM

Crime scene tape for egregious acts committed against food......unroll it over here!

Thanks for your contribution,Adu!

Since you focused on downtown eateries, I will add one that I've been very happy with on a few recent evenings--TERTULIA; major problem is that they do not take reservations for groups of less than 6 people. I solve this by getting there very early. Really needs no publicity, as it is up for Best New Restaurant of 2011 from James Beard, but I thought I'd throw it out anyway. Two people can eat a full meal for less than $100 if careful with alcohol; they offer hard cider as well as wine and beer. They serve a few dishes that I'd put in the category of "so good that on the day after dinner, I'm still thinking about what I ate last night." Far and away the best Spanish tapas-style food I've had in NYC.

http://tertulianyc.com/
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 04:15 AM
Original Poster

Yes, Eks, I heard Tertulia is very good, we must make our way over.
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ackislander.
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 04:19 AM

LOL: Love the title and for those of us outside the Big Apple - also love reading the recent reviews.

Pleez keep them coming.

From the "left" coast.
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 04:27 AM

Adu: Have you visited Coppelia? We kind of love it. Not sure how new it is,(I think it's less than a year old, but truly not sure.) but it's wonderful.

http://coppelianyc.com/coppelia.html
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 04:34 AM

Thanks Adu - now all I need is someone to take me out to dinner.
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 04:48 AM

Adu: I would place the lamb breast and the squid in the "must" category at Tertulia. The chef is taking his inspiration from Asturias, so you will see a few dishes vaguely reflective of that region, but by and large he is offering his own spin on the classics along with a few inventive dishes with a Spanish slant. So you won't get gambas al ajillo, but you will find, for example, familiar items like Fried Padron peppers, Croquetas de Jamon, patatas bravas, and pa amb tomaquet, along with reworked traditional items like the cojonudo, quail egg over a bite of pig cheek on oiled toast.

Another "must" for me are the Brussel Sprouts fried whole in a spicy mojo.

Let's get a group together and book that table for 6!
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Adu: Have you visited Coppelia? We kind of love it. Not sure how new it is,(I think it's less than a year old, but truly not sure.) but it's wonderful.
_____

No we pass it all the time and say we must eat there. It sounds interesting.
____

Eks

We are always ready for tapas.
______

Sue, you know where to find us when you are downtown.
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 07:23 AM

Great post, and great title too!
Old Feb 25th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you MareW.
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 04:10 AM

Adu - next Monday I start Federal Jury Duty - I might end up downtown for a really long time. No cell phones but can find you off of the select bus on the way home....
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

OK, but I might get cold waiting at a bus stop.
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 04:31 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
It's not 9 AM yet, but here I am salivating over pork bellies braised in Coke and reading about SueNYC doing federal time.

Now I want to go back to New York.
Old Feb 27th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

It's not 9 AM yet, but here I am salivating over pork bellies braised in Coke and reading about SueNYC doing federal time.

They were probably let her out with time served.

Nikki-that bao was absolutely delicious.
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 09:40 AM

I'll add a new place to the list:

FORCELLA on the Bowery (one in Brooklyn, too); pizza and assorted antipasti and side dishes, including a few off-menu specials. Famous for their "montanara," fried pizza.

Not for those who like a crisp crust. Crust, even on the montanara, might be called "doughy" by some, so be warned.

Glorious wood-burning oven is a work of art.

House wine (Sangiovese) for $13 a half carafe=good enough. Short but decent wine list.

Montanara--excellent
Ripieno Classico--very porky, my least favorite
Mergellina (notice a theme..most of the pizzas take their names from places in and around Naples)--terrific, with porcini and mozzarella di bufala!

All in all, a satisfying meal; open to the street in good weather.
$19. per person (with tax and tip) with a half carafe of wine and one beer.
Very attractive restaurant with friendly service on the newly fashionable Bowery. Not sure if I'd rush back here, with so many other great places around, but I would certainly visit if I was in the area and looking for a casual meal in an ambience that is far nicer (and also more pricey) than the average pizzeria.

http://www.forcellaeatery.com/about_us.html
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 09:42 AM

e, for $19 a person in Manhattan, I'll take my pizza "dough-y"
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the review, we will put it on the list. The Bowery has certainly changed in recent years.
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 12:22 PM

You're not kidding on that one! Seems like it has become an epicenter of hip, to judge from the passing crowd on the street. And there are many new restaurants in the area and more to come..

Example: Mile End, the Montreal-inspired smoked meat place from Brooklyn, will open a spot in the area this spring. And one of NY's talked about eateries of the moment is the new incarnation of Acme, where Cajun is no more and the food on the plates is now of the NOMA-inspired "foraged" genre. Yikes!

If you do go there and are looking for a pricey bauble for your home, check out John Derian, across the street and a step or two east from Forcella:

http://www.johnderian.com/index_home.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -