Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

How long does it take to drive from Boston to DC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 05:52 PM
Jen

Hi,

Has anyone driven from Boston to DC? How long does it take? I'll be visiting DC in late December and trying to decide if I should drive or fly. I also looked at the Acela Express option, but it was way too expensive compared to driving or flying (something like $280 for a round trip).
Thanks!

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 05:59 PM
Yabadabadoo

I would guess that it would be about 8 hours. It's about 3.5 to 4 hours to NYC, and about equidistant to Washington from NYC.

AirTran usually has the cheapest flights to DC from Boston. Sometimes US Air has some competitive airfares. Your other option would be to fly out of Manchester, NH or Providence, RI on Southwest. Sometimes there are $69 roundtrip fares. Other options would be to fly into Baltimore and take the train or fly into Dulles instead of Reagan.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 06:11 PM
Ryan

It's just about 450 miles between the two. 8 to 9 hours drive sounds about right. But, and its a potentially big but, the traffic can be horrendous as you are passing through the traffic zone for Washington, Baltimore, Philly, New York, etc.

If you can avoid one of the big cities during their rush hour, this could help with time. Also, given that it is Christmas week, you may catch a break as commuter traffic, at least here in NYC, tends to be much lighter than on a normal day. Be forewarned, I95 from the NYC border to Stamford/New Haven can sometimes be just outright brutal if you hit it at the wrong time. This past summer it took us over 7 hours to get from NYC to Newport - and we left the city at 1 p.m.!

You might want to look into the regular Northeast Corridor service on Amtrak. That could be significantly cheaper than the Accela.

Old Dec 5th, 2002, 07:12 PM
gail

It took us 8 hours each way - including stopping for a fast lunch - this summer, off-peak hours to drive. Previous poster mentions delays on I95 in CT. While most mapping programs and logic when lookng at a map might dictate going that route, I recommend Mass Pike, 84, Tappan Zee Bridge, GS Parkway, NJ Turnpike (which is I95). While Garden State Parkway can be annoying, especially in summer, I find I95 in Connecticut to be torture.

There have been previous discussions here on route Boston to DC, so you can get other opinions.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 05:22 AM
AA

8-9 hours if it doesn't snow!
AA

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 05:25 AM
doc

Jen..unless you HAVE to drive,$100 on airtran to BWI round trip. Driving that time of year could be a nightmare.