Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC- mid Oct. - your opinion/advice on our plans would be appreciated

Sep 21st, 1999, 04:44 AM
jm

Participants of this forum were of great help when planning our August visit to NYC with our 2 kids. We had a great time and took advantage of all the advice.

We enjoyed it so much that now just the two of us want to spend a long weekend next month and do things just for us.

I have reservations at the Omni Berkshire for $204/night. We wanted to try the following restaurants - Le Bernardin, Balthazar, Gotham Bar & Grill, Sylvias. I thought we'd try Le Bernardin for lunch ($42 prix fix). Can I believe the incredible reviews I read? Will Monday lunch there allow us to truly experience what they have to offer?

We also plan a repeat visit to Joe's Shanghai - those dumplings, etc. were terrific!

We also ate at Peter Luger (yum!) and lunched at Uniom Square. We were disappointed with the hot dogs at Gray's Papaya downtown. Are they different (better at the uptown location?

We did almost all the "signts" with the kids, and this time want to see a Broadway show, the Frick Collection, Museum of Art.

Sep 21st, 1999, 06:48 AM
SUSAN

Can't comment on the restaurants, but my suggestion for a Broadway show would be Cabaret. Request a "couch" seat, the chairs are somewhat uncomfortable. It's a great show and an even better NY atmosphere.

Sep 21st, 1999, 02:17 PM
steve

I have not been to Le Bernadin, but have yet to hear anything bad about it(except how expensive it is). Balthazar is very much a "scene" with some celebs and would-be celebs scattered about-the food is good and the setting is very French. Gotham Bar and Grill is outstanding-it is very attractive, the food is wonderful and the service is professional-it is a very fine restaurant but not at all stuffy. I have not been to Sylvia's, but if you go you might incorporate a tour of Harlem. The Frick Collection is one of my favorite museums. It is in a beatiful mansion and the collection is marvelous. I've only been to the Gray's Papaya on the upper west side, but I like their dogs-especially the price. It's usually my cheapie lunch if I'm going to a nice restaurant in the evening. The "Cabaret" suggestion is an excellent one-it is great! "Ragtime" is another current show you might enjoy as well. By the way, that sounds like a pretty decent rate for the Omni Berkshire.

Sep 21st, 1999, 02:36 PM
howard

Hey, JM, you don't need our advice! You're doing great without it for October!
You've gotten good advice so far this time. I'll just add one more show to the two excellent recommendations above. And that one is "Chicago." You can't go wrong with any of the three.
As for restaurants, I'll give a plug for our favorite--Chez Josephine on 42nd Street, west of 9th Avenue. It's owned by two of Josephine Baker's Rainbow Children and is wonderful--excellent food, ambiance and service. And, a bonus is the host, Jean-Claude, one of the owners. He's charm personified and really turns the experience into a memorable one.

Sep 21st, 1999, 04:42 PM
jm

Thank you all for the great advice! So many restaurants...so little time (and money!)

Sep 23rd, 1999, 04:50 PM
C.P.

Le Bernardin is better than anything anybody tells you. They specialize in fish and seafood so if this is not your thing, maybe you want to try something else. We like Felidia (Italian) and La Caravelle (french).

Sep 24th, 1999, 12:58 PM
Michele Wood

Hi, If you go to Sylvia's Sunday is typially a lively experience. On the down side, they do not open until about 1pm for brunch, but on the up side you can select from a down home breakfast with eggs and hominy grits through a dinner of smoothered pork chops, BBQ spare ribs etc, black eyed peas, collard greens, macaroni & chees, yams and on and on. Again on the down side is that you often have a long wait for brunch which is served until 3 or 4 pm, but on the up side is that they will typically include a small group of gospel performers (3-4 musicians and a singer).
You and your children will enjoy the experience of Sunday Brunch.

If plans don't allow for you to go on Sunday, I still think that the visit will be an enjoyable experience, just thought that I would add a little extra insight.