Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC: Mexican Restaurant (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-mexican-restaurant-619991/)

Reese Jun 1st, 2006 01:39 AM

NYC: Mexican Restaurant

We need some recommendations for a really good Mexican restaurant! We would prefer in Midtown or Soho.

Thanks!

mclaurie Jun 1st, 2006 03:05 AM

Midtown-2 locations of Rosa Mexicano.

Dos Caminos in Soho (and another just south of midtown on Park Ave. South) and Suenos in the flatiron district.

MerryTravel Jun 1st, 2006 05:04 AM

Another vote for Dos Caminos. Very good margaritas and they make your guacamole fresh at your table.

otto Jun 1st, 2006 05:37 AM

mexico lindo is one of my personal faves. it's on 26th and 3rd. there is also mercadito on approximately ave b and 11th? very authentic mexican (i prefer rosa mexicano or mexico lindo) but the real reason you go there is the cucumber margaritas!!

lisettemac Jun 1st, 2006 05:53 AM

I also like Zarela's on 51 (?) and 2nd Ave.

Gekko Jun 1st, 2006 06:03 AM

Particularly if the weather is good and you can sit outside, the SoHo Dos Caminos is a good choice.

For delicious, "high end" cuisine, try Maya on First Avenue in the 60's.

MFNYC Jun 1st, 2006 06:48 AM

There's a new Rosa Mexicana on 18th street between 5th & Bway. We went on a Tuesday night and sat for almost 4 hours, having a liesurely meal and margaritas. It's very roomy and pleasant and the guacamole is the best. I'm sure it's packed on the weekends though.

MFNYC Jun 1st, 2006 06:49 AM

You can check menupages for comments (on almost any restaurant) and also to view menus. You can search by location and type of food.

lizziea06 Jun 1st, 2006 06:57 AM

It's not midtown or SOHO, but Mercadito on 11th and Ave B is awesome. It's a tiny little gem of a restaurant, and they food is excellent. They have amazing fish tacos and margaritas. Check out the menu on menupages. There is also a location on 7th Ave S and Grove which I haven't yet tried.

TarheelsInNj Jun 1st, 2006 07:31 AM

For a more casual place, I love Cosmic Cantina on the LES (if you find yourself over there!). It's on 3rd Ave. and 13th, and it's fantastic and affordable. The focus is on Northern California-style food with lots of fresh ingredients (often organic).

They actually started in North Carolina, and I used to eat there all the time when I was in college. Needless to say, I was thrilled when they opened the NYC store.

wantsomesun Jun 1st, 2006 07:48 AM

You also might enjoy THe Rio Grande, on 3rd AVe and 37th St. The restaurant is the entire first floor of a large apartment building and the food is very good, and even better drinks.

Have a great time.

Gekko Jun 1st, 2006 08:11 AM

I was going to mention Mercadito as well, but didn't primarily due to the location.

Also, when I've dined there (twice), it's been incredibly loud & crowded, even by New York standards. I'm used to it, but it was REALLY bad and I fear would not be pleasant for visitors.

The back room, down the stairs, is better than the front in terms of noise & crowd.

Reese Jun 1st, 2006 03:43 PM

It seems like most of the votes go to Rosa Mexicano and Dos Caminos.
I will check out the Menupages, thanks!
Are these places on the more casual side?

Gekko Jun 1st, 2006 04:27 PM

Yes, both are casual. During happy hour on good weather days, the SoHo Dos Caminos is very much a scene, however, so one should dress accordingly.

(Please, for the love of all things holy, no fanny packs! ha ha)

ksunshine91 Jun 1st, 2006 04:54 PM

Another vote for Dos Caminos and another request for no fanny packs!

Reese Jun 1st, 2006 05:04 PM

Don't worry, I'm not packing a fanny pack!
Thanks for the tip!