Search

NYC Marriage Proposal!!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Marriage Proposal!!

Hey all!,

I'm new to Fodor's boards but have been a closet reader for a while. I need everyone's help with my plan to propose to my girlfriend of 6 years in July in NYC. She is spending a few months up there this summer while I am working away at home. On July 6, I am flying up there to surprise her. She doesn't think I'm coming until the evening of the 7th.

Anyway, my plan was to surprise her by showing up at her apartment in a limo. We'd then to go Top of the Rock to watch the sunset and where I'll probably pop the question. Then, we'd go off to Tavern on the Green for a late dinner and some dancing and then maybe a nightcap at the new rooftop bar, 230 Fifth. I've never been to any of these places but have read good things about all of them.

The only problem is that she went to Top of the Rock yesterday. I didn't think she knew about it but some friends ended up taking her. I've already booked the tickets for that but I guess I can change if anyone has any great ideas.

Let me know what you think! Thanks!!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 07:17 AM

check out the thread NYC to get engaged. There are some great suggestions on there!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 07:20 AM

How wonderful...Those are all great places.
But as soon as you show up with the limo she will know something's up. If you really want it to be a surprise....
How about getting her friends to get her over to the Today Show at Rockefeller Center. You might be able to set it up where you propose outside when they do the weather report or one of their outdoor features.... You will need a big sign, and can just show up and pop the question!!!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 07:52 AM

Do you like art or museums? Many people get engaged at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, for example at the rooftop sculpture garden, which has a bar, or in the room with the Temple of Dendur.

Do you like nature? Central Park has many, many beautiful spots for an engagement, from the Bow Bridge to the rental boats below it.

If you like the idea of Top of the Rock, the bar Rise at the Battery Park Ritz Carlton might be an option. The views of the harbor are fantastic.

Or how about a dinner cruise in the harbor?

Good luck!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 07:54 AM

I wonder if you could get the people at shea or yankee stadium to post on the message board ____, will you marry me? you could walk up and surprise her, say, if her friends could get her to the game somehow...tha't assuming the yankees or mets are in town on the 6th.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 07:59 AM

Unless your girlfriend is a die-hard sports fan or absolutely loves the Today show, I would err on the side of private and intimate. I know very women who would be pleased with those proposal ideas. Just my 2 cents. Maybe you can get a really nice hotel room and surprise her with champagne and roses? I would also look at Danube or Daniel for dinner. The food is much better than Tavern on the Green.
Another thing to consider when picking an engagement site is to find something permanent and enduring. You can go back and visit the spot every time you come back to NYC. Museums, places in Central Park, etc. would all fit this criteria.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 08:12 AM

sigh...i am envious of your gf, when/how did you guys meet? (sorry to be off topic).

There are many choices in NY, but I too would recommend something on the intimate/quiet side. A restaurant proposal is nice (Tavern on the Green is good for non-NY'ers) and I also like the idea of Central Park. There are canoes you can take at the park, I have a friend who was proposed to there.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 08:15 AM

Sorry, I meant to say very FEW women who would be pleased with those ideas. They even had an episode of Friends about a sports even proposal gone awry
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help so far! Believe it or not, this is a hometown/high school romance that blossomed even through a couple of years apart. Now I'm getting through law school and I know that she's the love of my life!

I think we'd both prefer the proposal was "semi-private," and not something at a ball game or on the Today's show.

Also, the weekend I'm going is also her birthday so I'm going to tell her I came a night early to take her out for her that occasion.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 09:48 AM

My husband and I are also high-school sweethearts!
FYI-
There was recently some bad reviews posted here about tavern on the green. Some people might be able to give you a better recommendation for dinner.

Are you staying over night?
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 09:53 AM

Not to throw cold water on your ideas - but if you show up a day early with all these romantic plans how do you know she won't be in her sloppiest clothes doing laundry?

Are you prepared to wait for a couple of hours for her to shower, wash and style her hair, do make-up and pick out that special outfit for all this - hopefully not at the cleaners.

(If my beau had done this to me I would have been half pleased, half really pissed, and wondering what had happened to his brain?)

You either need to make sure her friends have her ready for a day like this - or let her in on the plans for day - but not the proposal - in advance.

Also - it sounds like you think there's dancing at Tavern on the Green. I believe they do have music on rare nights - but am not sure about dancing - have never seen it (this is rare in NYC due to obscure Cabaret laws - it's hard for a rest to get OK for dancing - so clubs and restaurants are usually separate).
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 09:53 AM

Since it is her birthday, she won't be suspicious about the limo.....
Whatever you do, it will be great. I think I'd opt for a limo to the classiest restaurant you can find. You could always have the ring under a silver domed tray with the entree...don't wait for dessert...you'll be nervous all through the meal.
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 10:08 AM

i think top of the rock/central park are the best options. Horse and Carriage ride is also a popular NYC propsal option. Trust me, she'll be over the moon with any of those options. When did you buy the ring?
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 10:13 AM

Check out Bateux . I was proposed here. Music/dancing/great food/even better view. So romantic!!!!! All glass dining vessel just like sailing down the seine in Paris

http://www.spiritcitycruises.com/ny/bridge.jsp
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

I'm going to have her friends tell her they are taking her out somewhere nice and make her get all dressed up and ready and all that.

The ring I had custom made. I was able to pick it up a few days ago and I'm taking her parents out to make sure all this is ok with them tomorrow night.

The Tavern on the Green website says they have live music and dancing every night at 7 in their Garden area. I have read very negative reviews, mainly about the staff, but have also heard good things. Plus, my girlfriend has always wanted to go there.

I'm seriously rethinking my Top of the Rock plan. I found out I can get refunds for my tickets. I'd still like to find somewhere with a great view of the city that was semi-private where we could watch the sunset. I'm just praying for beautiful weather!
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 01:06 PM

Don't overthink/overplan it, you'll look silly if you go overboard with the dramatics. Just be sincere (and don't forget to mention what a fool you were for taking 6 years!).
Old Jun 9th, 2006, 01:44 PM

1)Showing up unannounced at her apt could be a disaster, especially if you plan to go some place fancy. Give her fair notice.

2)Tavern on the Green food is really awful.

3)You don't need to propose some place where she hasn't been, just some place that you think is special. You can use the tickets some other time if you decide not to go there that day.

I would tell her something so she knows she's supposed to be dolled up (nothing worse than having a bad hair day when something important is supposed to happen. For all you know she'll be getting a facial in anticipation of your arrival the following day.)

What about having the limo take you to the River Cafe? Drinks and dinner. A walk back over the bridge and then dancing at 230 Fifth.
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

Well I've changed my dinner reservation from Tavern on the Green to The River Cafe in Brooklyn. I've heard nothing but good things about it, whereas the reviews of TotG were very up and down. I'm still leaning towards Top of the Rock and 230 Fifth before and after. More help/advice is always welcome!!
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 09:34 AM

I vote you stay overnight in a nice hotel
Old Jun 13th, 2006, 10:14 AM

If you want to further the deception that you're there solely to celebrate her birthday, have a helium "Happy Birthday" balloon or two in the limo when you pick her up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -