Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC Laguardia to "The Pod" (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-laguardia-to-the-pod-794454/)

metry2 Jul 8th, 2009 01:17 PM

NYC Laguardia to "The Pod"

Our plane is scheduled to arrive around 7pm. What is the best way to get to "The Pod" hotel near St. Patrick's Cathedral? To save $, I thought I would try to take the bus from LGA to the subway system near Columbia, then catch the subway. Does anyone know how much a shuttle or taxi would cost? We are traveling light and will be 2 women, mother and teenage daughter. Any advice is appreciated! Thank you.

nyer Jul 8th, 2009 01:54 PM

A taxi will be about $30-35, shuttle for 2 about the same.

If you were going to take the cheap bus/subway combination, it will be slow going--count on 60-90 minutes. And if you are going to the area near St Patrick's (east side), it would make no sense to take the M60 bus all the way to the Columbia area on the west side. You could get off the bus earlier at Lexington Avenue and take a subway (#6 train??) from 125th to 50th street. That would still be a few avenues away, but...

What day of the week are you talking about, by the way? Summer Friday traffic is crazy all over the city and will add to your travel time.

metry2 Jul 8th, 2009 03:31 PM

Thanks for your reply. We will arrive this Friday evening at 7pm (if on time) so maybe there will be extra traffic as you said. Do you know what the cost would be for the bus/train way to get to the east side? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Mara Jul 8th, 2009 03:44 PM

M60 from LGA to Lexington Ave. and 125th Street where you can get the #6 Lexington Avenue Local subway downtown - $2.25 each....

metry2 Jul 8th, 2009 04:01 PM

Where at LGA can we find the M60 bus? If our flight is on time, we may try this bus/train since the traffic may be heavy regardless. If late, we may take the taxi. Thanking you all for your helpful advice! Karen

nyer Jul 8th, 2009 04:50 PM

Here's the official map of the bus route.
http://www.mta.info/nyct/service/bus/mhtnsch.htm#reg18 (look for M60 link on this page, then in the brochure, the last page has a map showing the stops at LGA)
Note that technically the fare is $2.25 per person with a free transfer bus to subway or subway to bus, BUT only if you can purchase a Metrocard at the airport. If you pay cash on the bus, the transfer you get is NOT valid on the subway and you would have to pay another $2.25 each (that is actually buying a Metrocard at the subway station , since that's the only way to pay for subway rides)

doug_stallings Jul 8th, 2009 05:08 PM

Bus stops are right outside the terminal and are marked. The bus runs regularly but not that often, and it's a decent option if you can get on early. Remember that this is a regular city bus and will be packed with airport employees as well as a few airline passengers. So you will be expected to hold your bags either on your lap or between your feet (assuming you get a seat). But it's not that bad a ride, and then the subway will be quick. It's a bargain, even if you have to pay another $2.25. But buses do not take bills, so you need to bring exact change in coins.

nytraveler Jul 8th, 2009 05:34 PM

Also realize that you will have to tote your luggage up and down stairs to get it into the subway and finding a seat is unlikely - so you're standing with your luggage between your legs to secure it.

jroth Jul 8th, 2009 05:49 PM

The last time I took a cab from LGA to the upper east side and I instructed him to use the 59 St. Bridge (nearer to my destination - as is St. Pat's Cathedral) - the fare was about $21 (plus a tip). Although your bus and subway will cost a total of $9 for two - remember the subway leaves you at a subway station - and you then have to get to your hotel - walk? Ou might want to spring for the cab.

Mara Jul 8th, 2009 06:26 PM

Supposedly there are now Metrocard machines in the LGA Central Terminal near the bus stop plus shops there may sell them. So then you could get the $2.25 fare. If you're traveling light as you say, the stairs are not that bad....

travelbuff Jul 8th, 2009 06:45 PM

THe #6 train won't be of alot of help since you are closer to the west side of town. If you want a bit less of a walk take the bus from LaGuardia to 125th St and take the D (express) or B (local) to
47-50th St stop, you are only 1 Avenue away from St. Pat's, instead of 4 avenues if you took the Lex Ave subway.

If you are going to be here for a few days, get a Metro pass for both of you, it would work out less expensively depending on how long you are going to be running around the city. The metro pass is $8.00 for
4 rides or you might get the 7 day unlimited pass.

Have a great time while you are here.

metry2 Jul 8th, 2009 07:17 PM

Thanks to all for your comments! I feel much better informed and sincerely appreciate your help! We are traveling light and may take the bus if it looks easy when we get there. We have 2 nights in NYC this weekend.........I know it's not long enough but am thankful we can walk the streets, the Brooklyn Bridge, and visit the Met Museum of Art. It's our first visit since 9/11. Karen

ellenem Jul 8th, 2009 07:49 PM

The Pod Hotel is on 51st St between Third and Second Avenues--the #6 train is the closest train, just 1.5 blocks away at Lexington and 51st.

(The B or D would be a big mistake--5 long blocks away--and you would pass the #6 train station along the way.)

travelbuff Jul 9th, 2009 12:22 AM

Thanks for that update. The post said the hotel was close to St. Pat's so the D would have been closer. You are absolutely right that the 6 train would be best.

Metry2, take the M60 bus to Lexington Ave and 125th and get on the subway to 51st. That would be a good way to go, and you will get some nice views of the city coming over the bridge.

metry2 Jul 9th, 2009 02:09 PM

We will try the M60 bus and connect to the subway as suggested. We'll try to buy a metrocard or metro pass but will have quarters if needed.

Thanks to all! We leave tomorrow afternoon!

nytraveler Jul 9th, 2009 03:30 PM

You MUST have a Metro Card for the subway - that's all it takes. You can;t use cash at all. (You can use quarters on the bus if you can't get Metrocard in advance.) Just realize tht depending on the schedule the trip can take 1.5 hours versus about half that by cab.

metry2 Aug 6th, 2009 01:08 PM

I wanted to thank you all again for your help! On our recent trip, we did take the bus/subway into Manhattan from LaGuardia and it worked out well! We paid twice since we didn't have a Metrocard but it was easy and fun traveling with the locals on a Friday evening. Karen

doug_stallings Aug 6th, 2009 01:47 PM

Bravo, Karen. I'm glad you tried something relatively few New Yorkers have the courage to try. It's better for everyone if we utilize mass transit when we can, and it saves a lot of money for the people who do.