Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC Itinerary, please comment (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-itinerary-please-comment-380473/)

missm Dec 4th, 2003 07:07 AM

NYC Itinerary, please comment

I know you guys get alot of these posts, but I need your help.

30/12/03 Arrive at JFK 2100

31/12/03
Museums such as the Met, Natural History, and the Guggenheim.
Visit Ground Zero

01/01/04
Shopping? Would there be any museums open?
Recover from last night.

02/01/04
Finish off any museums. New York Knick game at 1930

03/01/04
Last minute Shopping. Leave for London 1700

Anonymous Dec 4th, 2003 07:26 AM

This is a joke, right? The 3 museums you've listed for New Year's eve might well be closing early that day, and any one of them could fill an entire day. Well, maybe not hte Guggenheim. Indeed, many people claim that it would take a week to see the Met. Most museums will indeed be closed on 01/01, your best source for accurate info on this would be their own web sites.

missm Dec 4th, 2003 07:37 AM

No it wasn't a joke. I don't appreciate your condescending tone. I haven't been to NYC before and that is why I'm posting my itinerary here for you guys to constructively comment on. The suggestions that I have put on for that day is not set in stone; they were just some ideas.

Anonymous Dec 4th, 2003 08:25 AM

Well, it's been over an hour since you posted, and so far nobody has gone to the trouble of going to those 3 museums' web sites, and checking their hours, for you. Perhaps you'll have to resort to doing your own research.

internetwiz Dec 4th, 2003 08:32 AM

The museums and ground zero are in different ends of town. Since you don't know when the museums open and close, and ground zero is at your disposal whenever you want, you might want to move ground zero to new year's day when nothing will be open anyway (except maybe chinatown??? check Macy's and Bloomies websites? the small stores will be closed).

However, if you were visiting London for the first time, would you spend all your time at museums? I think walking the city, visiting neighborhoods (soho, the village, chinatown) might add some more interest to your NY experience. And there's always Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty that would be interesting to visit.

GoTravel Dec 4th, 2003 08:43 AM

More than one museum in one day will put you on overload.

I would stick to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and pick 3 major exhibits and spend time on them.

You cannot get through the entire museum in a day so pick a couple of things that appeal to you.

Dave_ Dec 4th, 2003 08:50 AM

I don't know whether you are from London or not, but I would be inclined to omit the Natural History Museum, as the one in London is excellent.

That's not to say, I wouldn't go to the one in New York (I have been and that one too is very good), but your time in the city is at a premium and there are lots of other different things to choose from.

If you are interested in generating some ideas from posters here then you probably want to mention your interests and whether you have been to New York before.

As has already been mentioned, I think you probably need to check the museum websites for their opening hours and refine your plans accordingly.

I would move Ground Zero from that day (and remove it altogether if I was short of time) and if you want something else, add Central Park or something nearer the area of the museums.

Neal_Sanders Dec 4th, 2003 08:53 AM

Missm, I've tried seeing London and Paris on similar schedules, so I can empathize. First, museums are in fact closed New Years Day in New York (oddly, were you in Washington, you would find them open). I would save the visit to Ground Zero for January 1, and plan a good, long walking tour of the city's neighborhoods. It will almost certainly be cold, it could also be wet, so be prepared.

Assuming you're flying into either JFK or Newark, it's an hour into Manhattan at 9 p.m., a 5 p.m. flight back means you'll have to be headed for the airport no later than 1 p.m., so your last day will be a short one.

Anonymous Dec 4th, 2003 10:01 AM

Actually, Neal, the AMNH is open on New Year's Day, though it's closed Christmas and Thanksgiving. I was hoping that the OP would research this for herself, rather than relying on the board.

adisim Dec 4th, 2003 10:32 AM

I have a 1-2 hr limit at all museums and love the Met. But unless you have a particular exhibit in mind (the el greco? the english and french 19th c. romantics? certain paintings/sculptures...) that you must see, it might be a better idea to choose a smaller museum. I love the Frick which isn't far from the Met, is in a beautiful mansion, and has an incredible collection. That way you can also take a walk in central park, go shopping (at least window) on madison avenue or at bloomingdales. You can then go downtown on New Year's Day- see ground zero, walk around the battery and see the statue of liberty and then maybe go to the museum of natural history in early afternoon (it will probably be packed though).

sparky67 Dec 4th, 2003 10:40 AM

Just my two cents, but given an entire day, it certainly is possible to see two or more museums, though obviously not in as much depth as a longer visit would allow. For some people, the experience of seeing the museum briefly and taking a quick tour is helpful, as it helps them plan a more thorough return trip.

BTW the Met and Guggenheim are closed New Year's Day. Seeing these museums on the 31st and 2nd and the AMNH on the 1st would be fine. In between, I would do as the other posters recommend, and take walking tours around different neighborhoods. Also agree that the Nat. History Museum in London is pretty great -- unless that is your particular area of interest, I'm not sure it's worth visiting on a tight schedule. Have a great trip!

To Anonymous: I think your tone is rather rude. What difference is it to you if others provide information to the original poster?

mclaurie Dec 4th, 2003 11:56 AM

If you're interested in shopping at Century 21 (big discount clothing store), it's not far from WTC site. It's ALL the way downtown. Wait & see what the weather brings. Bad weather is a good time for museums. If day 1 is good weather, head downtown, hit the WTC, maybe take a ride on the Staten Island Ferry. Go to Century 21. Maybe stop on Canal St in Chinatown for more nexpensive shopping.

Anonymous says the Musuem of NH is open 1/1 so do that, have brunch nearby (Isabellas). Have a walk through Central Park. Do the Met & the Frick on day 3 (the Met does a highlights tour once a day. Check for time on the website)

Have fun!

missm Dec 5th, 2003 01:05 AM

For everyone that gave out insightful tips, thank you.

Anonymous, let me guess you are a rather spotty, 15 yo that don't have anything better to do than flame people right?

I'm rather looking forward in going to NY, and experience the buzz and vibe the city has to offer. Thanks again for everyone that helped me out!

jannik Dec 5th, 2003 05:10 AM

is Anonymous THAT rude?????, i hope we still can smile her at fodors,,im sure he did not mean to hurt anyone,,it was just a joke..come on,lets smile!!!!!!

HowardR Dec 5th, 2003 05:24 AM

So, perhaps, anonymous didn't say things in the sweetest way. Still, missm, he/she has made a valid point: Do some additional research of the information provided on your own!

missm Dec 5th, 2003 07:07 AM

What makes you think that I haven't done any research?!? I have bought myself a Time Out Guide Book to research on. But I still wanted other ppl opinions. And let's face it there is nothing better than getting advice from people that are in the know, ie you guys. Is that so wrong?

He did have some valid points but the way he (assuming that Anonymous is a he) put them across is quite rude and not very forthcoming. Fodors travel forum is great for getting information from experienced (and polite!) travellers, it is not for trolls/condescending/preachy people who has nothing better to do than flame others!

sparky67 Dec 5th, 2003 08:25 AM

I *really* don't understand people criticizing posters on this forum for asking questions. If you don't want to answer, or find the questions repetitive, don't answer. There is enough room for everybody!

I see so many posts where someone asks a question about a particular hotel or restaurant, only to be scolded and called a lazy idiot for not doing a forum search. May I suggest that many of these venues change over time?

Example: I normally stay at Bellagio when I travel to Las Vegas. When they were sold out, I stayed at Aladdin and had a terrible experience. Someone posted an inquiry and I gave my opinion. Circumstances forced me to return to the hotel a year or two later. I had a completely different (and great) experience, which I posted to the board in response to a new question about the property. Had someone simply done an historical search on Aladdin rather than posting a new query, they wouldn't have gotten any updated information. So, again, what is the issue?