Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC itinerary for 2 seniors, 2 14-year-olds (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-itinerary-for-2-seniors-2-14-year-olds-98053/)

The Comptons Jan 1st, 2001 06:34 AM

NYC itinerary for 2 seniors, 2 14-year-olds

Some progress on plans. What are your thoughts about this itinerary? <BR>MONDAY - Circle Line tour, then walk 42nd St. from pier to United Nations. <BR>TUESDAY - Walk Central Park (including Strawberry Fields, Natural History and Metropolitan Art museums), down to Rockefeller Center. <BR>WEDNESDAY - Bus to Empire State, bus to Union Square, then through Greenwich Village, Soho, and possibly Chinatown. <BR>HOTEL - Waiting for final word from the girls in Georgia, so haven't made hotel reservations at either Ramada New Yorker or Park Savoy - still open to your comments. <BR>

Diane Jan 1st, 2001 07:04 AM

You're missing my favorite - trip to the top of the World Trade Center, although I did note you plan to do the Empire State Building which is pretty cool, too. What I like about the Trade Center is that you can see all the other famous skyscrapers like the Empire State, Chrysler, etc -- as a matter of fact, since the WTC is at more or less the "bottom" of Manhattan, about 95% of the island can be seen from the same angle. A great time to go is about 5PM when you can see traffic at its highest, and watch the traffic-copters reporting on tie-ups from ABOVE the copters! Generally I then like to take folks to the Village (including SoHo) and/or Little Italy for dinner. Also, with two 14-year old girls, they may want to visit Bloomingdales and/or Macy's for some shopping.

The Comptons Jan 2nd, 2001 06:33 AM

Good idea if we can include every thing else. The girl's request was to see Greenwich Village and Soho -- we're still not too sure what's there for 14-year-olds.

AC Jan 2nd, 2001 06:42 AM

Hi: <BR>The two 14 year olds will love the Village and SoHo. There's great shopping and restaurants. How about a ride on the Staten Island Ferry? It's free and you don't have to get off in Staten Island just stay on for the round trip. <BR>I am a bit concerned about your walking fron the West side to the East side on 42nd Street. That's a really looooong walk. There is not much to see before 8th Avenue. Take the bus right outside the Circle Line to about 8th Avenue or so then begin your walk. Make sure you have exact change for the bus $1.50 for the girls and $.75 for you. Metro Cards are a good idea but you will not be able to take advantage of the 1/2 fare. Take a transfer when you get on in case you want to take a different bus. Have a great trip and <BR>Welcome to NYC !

howard Jan 2nd, 2001 06:55 AM

On Monday, stop in the tour Grand Central Terminal on your 42nd Street walk. <BR>Your Tuesday agenda is much too ambitious. You'll never be able to do all that in one day. Both the Met and the Museum of Natural History can easily each fill an entire day!

abc Jan 6th, 2001 05:23 AM

I just took my sister to NYC. I gave her a disposal camera and I had one too!(well, actually 3 before the end of the trip) and no matter where we went we were both having fun. At the end of the trip I took the cameras, developed doubles of the pictures and gave her 1 set of pictures in an envolope and a scrap book for her to put her memories in herself... it was a hit! <BR> <BR>-Just walking around Greenwich Village made her feel cool. Window shopping... coffee shops, people watching, good idea, cirlcle line tour good for short trip and if first time to city <BR> <BR> <BR>Other idea: <BR>-5th avenue, shopping and browsing, inside st.patricks (yes even teenagers find the inside awesome, dont announce it first thought, just do it) <BR> <BR>Also, let me share with you advice my girlfriend gave me before we went away. I tried it and it was a splendid result, although it did offend me at first... <BR>"if it doesn't involve money you dont have, sex or violoence, DONT say DONT OR NO during the whole TRIP!" <BR> <BR>Enjoy! <BR> <BR>

Caitlin Jan 6th, 2001 06:41 AM

Your granddaughter and her friend will love a stroll around the Village and Soho for window shopping and people-watching. It is where "cool" lives for young people in Manhattan. Take them to Ricky's drugs on Broadway near 4th St. or below Houston; it's full of outrageous wigs, masks, and costumey stuff to goggle at, and inexpensive glittery makeup, hair accessories, and costume jewelry of the sort fourteen-year-olds love. If they want to go clothes-shopping, get them to Canal Jeans on Broadway in Soho or H&M on 34th St. or Fifth Ave., both full of inexpensive and upt-to-the-minute clothes to buy or just look at.