Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC Hotels with parking... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-hotels-with-parking-288709/)

Austin Feb 14th, 2003 06:10 AM

NYC Hotels with parking...

Is this impossible? We will make a short trip to NYC from the Albany area this summer. The train will cost too much. I'd rather drive, but wonder if there are any hotels that have good parking?<BR><BR>And Scarlett - if you are out there, email me... I have faux Fotos and deleted your email address!

hotel Feb 14th, 2003 06:47 AM

If by &quot;good parking&quot; you mean free, there are none that i know of... and if they did offer free parking, it's likely that the price is simply &quot;included&quot; in the room rate.<BR><BR>There are some &quot;perimeter&quot; parking lots, those on the upper/lower avenues that are significantly cheaper (maybe $12/day?) than midtown or hotel parking. You could always drop off the others in your family at the hotel with your luggage, and while they check-in you go to an &quot;out of the way&quot; parking lot to leave the car.<BR><BR>I'm sure if you post what hotel you decide upon others might be able to tell you some parking lots nearby.<BR><BR>Also, Priceline and Hotwire offer some GREAT hotel deals in NYC. You can see what others have received and paid at: <BR>www.thenassaus.com/forums

Owen_ONeill Feb 14th, 2003 07:14 AM

The only hotel I know of that offers free parking is the Travel Inn at 42nd and 11th (maybe 10th?). I was always sketpcial about this place based on location but that area continues to improve and I've seen a few reports in this froum that describe it as a decent budget choice. My concerne would be the fact that it's a pretty good hike to the nearest subway stationj and cab fare would add up - I prefer staying close to subway stations in NYC - it save much precious time in getting places. Hotel parking will vary wildly in price from $25 to $60 per night including taxes. The perimeter lots mentioned are worth considering - out on 11th Ave in the 40's if I recall. There's a nice secure indoor garage on 43rd just path 10th heading west - it's the first parking garage sign on the block (can also enter from 44th). Price for 24 hours is $16 including all taxes. Over in the east side in midtown it's much tougher to find a bargain - I can't find anything much under $25 per night over there. If the Garment District is convenient, there's a garage on 38th between 8th and 9th that is about $18 for 24 hours but it's not open all night - closes at 11 PM. They have an exit onto 37th that makes for a relatively easy exit to the Lincoln Tunnel or West Side Highway. It's a more central location the place out on 43rd but getting out to the tunnel takes longer at busy times of day.

rb_travelerxATyahoo Feb 14th, 2003 07:17 AM

Austin - the AMTRAK from Albany does cost too much. Drive the Thruway to Newburgh, take I-84 East, take the first exit after the bridge tollbooths, and less than a mile is the Beacon Metrorail station.<BR><BR>Weekend parking is free, and weekday parking is $3.25 (I think). The fare on weekends is $8.75 weekends &amp; off-peak, $11.75 peak, each way. http://as0.mta.nyc.ny.us/mnr/schedules/sched_form.cfm for schedules. You might even wish to drive further south to a closer station where the fares ( http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/plannin...s/hud-fare.htm ) will be less.<BR><BR>It's not as comfy as an Amtrak - no reclining seats, no food car, but a HELL of a lot cheaper. And it arrives at beautiful Grand Central Terminal.

HowardR Feb 14th, 2003 08:45 AM

rb has probably given you the most cost-effective and practical advice, i.e., driving to Beacon and taking the train.<BR>If you decide to drive into the city, you'll probably either pay a high price for hotel parking or have the inconvenience of walking several blocks from an inexpesive lot.

Austin Feb 14th, 2003 08:56 AM

Rb - Great idea! I'll cut and paste this info. From where we'd have to catch the Amtrack, it would cost a total of $252. I'd much rather spend the $$ in New York....

rb_travelerxATyahoo Feb 14th, 2003 09:33 AM

One more thing - did you look into the Amtrak deals of &quot;2 for 1&quot; that must be purchased by tomorrow (2-15-2003) for travel up into August?<BR><BR>http://www.amtrak.com/savings/bogo.html<BR><BR>If you live near Albany (as I do) it is nice to avoid the drive to Beacon. But then, it's nice to save all the money too &amp; use it on other travel amenities.

Anthony Feb 14th, 2003 09:48 AM

You have to remember that taking a train is not 'free', so depending how many people you are traveling with, you have to figure the total amount of train fare to and from Manhattan. If there is at minimum 2 people, then that's about $18 each way you would have to spend on the train to get to/from Manhattan. You can park for 2 days in a Manhattan lot for that amt. For there are more people, then the costs are even more, making it less cost effective too park outside and take a train in. Plus everyone would have to shelp around luggage.<BR>If you buy a metrocard, which you would need anyway, there is no added cost to park at a lot that's away from your hotel. You can also then drop/pickup people and luggage right at the hotel.

HowardR Feb 14th, 2003 11:59 AM

Anthony, your mathematics are off. Where can you park for $9 a day in NYC? Further, you're not including the cost of gas to drive to the city and back, as well as the tolls. And, who says they'll be needing a metro pass anyway for their &quot;short trip&quot; to the city?

Anthony Feb 14th, 2003 03:24 PM

''Weekend parking is free, and weekday parking is $3.25 (I think). The fare on weekends is $8.75 weekends &amp; off-peak, $11.75 peak, each way.'<BR><BR>What I was trying to say, is that if you have 2 people traveling, it will cost at minimum $17.50 each way for 2 people to get from the Beacon station to Manhattan. Then you would have to do the same going back to Beacon. If it is during peak time, it will cost more. And if there are more than 2 people, it again would cost more. <BR>Unless Austin does not plan to do much siteseeing, the $4/day Metropass is a sheer bargain, whether tourist or resident. <BR>So all I am saying is that you can't automatically assume parking outside of Manhattan and taking a train is is always the most cost effective solution. Assuming poster RB's Beacon fares are correct, if you had 4 people traveling, it would cost $35 each way to park a car at Beacon and take the train into Manhattan, and the same fare back to Beacon. You can surely park for $35/day; the poster Owen quotes a garage on west 42st @$16/day parking-if you use that figure, even if you had 2 people traveling, it would be just as cost effective to drive in and park, not to mention not having to shlep around with luggage.<BR>,