NYC Hotels - Marriott Marquis vs. Renaissance

Jan 21st, 2000, 05:50 AM
pthompson

NYC Hotels - Marriott Marquis vs. Renaissance

My husband and I are planning a trip to NYC next weekend to enjoy theatre (either Kiss Me Kate or Beauty & The Beast your suggestions would be appreciated), shopping, restaurants and some sightseeing.

Please give me your comments on the two hotels listed above. Please keep in mind that we have not gone away "just the two of us" for over 2 years.

Thank you for your comments!

Jan 21st, 2000, 06:27 AM
ilisa

My husband and I stayed at the Marquis two years ago. I hated it. It was beyond a cookie-cutter hotel. It was too crowded, expensive and impersonal. Let me put it this way, always be wary of a hotel that charges $16 for a bagel and lox.

Jan 21st, 2000, 06:36 AM
howard

I hate that "cookie cutter" phrase--what do you expect from a large tourist and/or convention hotel in a big city?
Both hotels are conveniently located in Times Square and are certainly decent hotels. Just don't expect the personalized, homey service of a small boutique hotel. I would guess that the Renaissance is cheaper. And, I would pick it for that reason alone.
As for the $16 bagels and lox, hotels are notorious for expensive breakfasts!
As for the theater, definitely see Kiss Me, Kate--a wonderful, highly professional revival of a A-1 show. I would suggest you get tickets in advance, as it's probably selling out on weekends.

Jan 21st, 2000, 06:43 AM
pthompson

Howard

Could you recommend one of the boutique hotels that would offer the homey feel? I am not familiar with the term "boutique hotels". What exactly does this mean?

Please keep in mind that we want something that is nice and convenient to the city.

Thank you!

Jan 21st, 2000, 08:09 AM
howard

I don't know if this is the "correct" definition, but to me a boutique hotel refers to a small "European type" (whatver that means!) hotel, which usually has a warm, friendly atmosphere.
Being a New Yorker, I have no first-hand experience staying at any of them in NYC. However, I know of one called the Mayfair on West 49th Street, right in the heart of the theater district off Times Square. It's been mentioned regularly on this forum. I've eaten dinner in its restaurant, Garrick's (very good), and the hotel looks very charming. Its phone number is 212-586-0300. Good luck!

Jan 21st, 2000, 08:26 AM
BYoung

I stayed at the Marquis last year. The rooms are just like any other Marriot. The hotel is very big, howeverI found the staff to be very friendly. It has a great location if you like to be in the middle of all the action. I have also stayed at the Le Parker Meridan. The rooms were nicer, but much smaller. Service was about the same. I think it is at 52nd Street. Closer to shopping. It is very expensive . This year I stayed at the Sheraton. Very average. For the price, I like the Marquis, unless the Meridian is just a little more.

Search this Thread