Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC Hotels in May 07 (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-hotels-in-may-07-a-669402/)

saps Jan 11th, 2007 12:01 PM

NYC Hotels in May 07

I jumped on the JetBlue SFO to JFK special ($198 r/t) and am suprising my wife with a NYC 4 day weekend in May.

Looking at hotels...want to spend in the $300-$350/night range. Quikbook has the Michelango for $295(std room). Friends have recommended the Hotel Giraffe at ~$350. Other hotels that look good are Shelburne Murray Hills (~$300) and some of the other Affina suite hotels.

We plan to spend some time at the museums, go to the theater, and general touristy type activities (we have never been to NYC except for a 3 hour visit...don't ask!). Not real familiar with the areas of Manhatten but I do know I don't want to be in Times Square.

Any thoughts, opinions or comments on these or other hotels that might fit the bill?

stokebailey Jan 11th, 2007 02:44 PM

Check the Roger Smith, midtown, and see whether you can get a good internet rate. We like it a lot.
What a lovely surprise for your wife.

GoTravel Jan 11th, 2007 03:01 PM

The Hotel Giraffe is definitely the best on your list but it just edges out the Michelangelo. In terms of location, service, amenities, and over hotel, it is very very close.

I love the Shelburne Murray Hill but it isn't as nice as the above two.

mclaurie Jan 12th, 2007 06:05 AM

The Blakely is a lovely smaller hotel near the Michelangelo in an ideal location (imo) close enough to theaters to walk there but far enough away to not feel like you're in TS. All rooms have kitchens. There are some 1 bedroom suites too.
blakelyhotelny.com and double check quikbook prices. The Michelangelo is more glamorous but have a look and compare.

The Affinia hotels are mostly very good (the Eastgate is looking very worn). Their Surrey hotel is one of the few hotels on the upper east side near the Met Museum and many of the other museums if you think you'll be doing a lot of museuming. It's also very close to Central Park.

While the Giraffe is a great hotel, for a 4 day trip I think the location is not as convenient for what you plan to do as the other options. The Library Hotel is owned by the same co. and is in a more central location for you. (It's not far from the Shelburne Murray Hill).

saps Jan 12th, 2007 07:49 AM

Thanks all for the input so far.

The Library Hotel looks pretty cool so I'll have to check that out.

Blakely only has doubles available. Haven't slept on a double since college!

p.s. Told Mrs Saps last night with three envelopes. The first one had a picture of a jetblue plane, the second had a picture of the NY skyline and the third had a picture of the Phantom. Needless to say she was very excited.

Any other comments?

stokebailey Jan 13th, 2007 04:42 AM

That is so sweet! Lucky Mrs.

NeoPatrick Jan 13th, 2007 06:01 AM

With current hotel prices, I'd jump on that deal at the Michelangelo. It's a far more upscale hotel than the prices would seem to indicate. A really nice place.