Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC Hotel near subway... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-hotel-near-subway-251937/)

cristindanielle Jan 8th, 2008 08:54 PM

NYC Hotel near subway...

My boyfriend and I will be going to New York City for my birthday, Valentine's Day. We're looking for a moderately priced hotel CLOSE to the subway. We were thinking about about booking a room at On the Avenue. Suggestions?

lcuy Jan 8th, 2008 09:38 PM

OTA is very close to the station at 79th and Broadway.

Lucerne hotel is about the same distance away from that station. After several stays at each of these, I prefer the OTA.

smartcookie Jan 8th, 2008 11:01 PM

if you're booking in manhattan, you're likely to be near a subway stop anyway. it would probably be a better idea for you to decide what types of things you want to do in NYC, so that you can pick an area where you will spend more of your time.

skatedancer Jan 9th, 2008 02:35 AM

I disagree with cookie. I think it's great to focus on the kind of neighborhood you want to stay in, and the UWS is great. Unless you're coming in just for a business convention, or going to spend all your time only in one part of town for the whole entire time, then maybe cookie would be right. It's very easy to get around.

doug_stallings Jan 9th, 2008 05:15 AM

In the parts of Manhattan where most tourists stay, there are very few hotels in Manhattan that are not within 1 or 2 blocks of a subway station. If that's your concern, then I think you can lay it aside (unless you are looking for a hotel on the Upper West Side or Upper East Side, where the hotels aren't always as close).

In general, hotels on the east side of Manhattan tend to be further away than those on the west side.

I'm completely with smartcookie on this one. Stay in the area of Manhattan where you expect to spend most of your time or where you can find a hotel you can afford, and the subway thing tends to take care of itself.

TwoFatFeet Jan 9th, 2008 05:40 AM

I'm with Doug and smartcookie, too. Being near a subway shouldn't really be a concern -- there are stops all over town. Just take a look at a subway map!

GoTravel Jan 9th, 2008 07:03 AM

My favorite moderately priced boutique hotel near the subway is The Park South in Murray Hill. It is steps away from the Lex line.

Aduchamp1 Jan 9th, 2008 08:18 AM

I agree with the others that a subway should be a minor consideration. Please note that wahtever you choose to do, it will not be on one subway line.

nytraveler Jan 9th, 2008 09:25 AM

I wouldn't make proximity of the subway the deciding factor. Although On the Ave is a pleasant moderately priced hotel in a great area (lots of good inexpensive restaurants and a real residential area).

There are some hotels that are not handy to subways - esp on the upper east side - there can be an 8 or 10 block walk- which I wouldn;t want.

I would pick the area for the atmosphere you want - since sights are spread out all over the city.

smartcookie Jan 10th, 2008 10:27 PM

skatedancer, read my second sentence, not just the first.