Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC - Hotel Iroquois and Il Buco restaurant - comments please. Also brunch suggestions welcomed.

NYC - Hotel Iroquois and Il Buco restaurant - comments please. Also brunch suggestions welcomed.

Old Sep 26th, 2003, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have recent experience at the Hotel Iroquois? (It looks great on the website.)

Also, comments on Il Buco. Suitable for an anniversary celebration?

Finally, any suggestions on restaurants serving brunch would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kat

Old Sep 26th, 2003, 08:23 AM

Can't comment on the Iroquois. The 1 user review on tripadvisor.com is almost a year old but good. Rooms are evidently small but the place was recently renovated.

Again have no personal experience at Il Buco. How did you choose it? Zagat gives it a good review: pros- good food & atmosphere (feels like "an antique store closed for the night")cons-"naysayers complain about tabs..." but it doesn't seem expensive to me based on Zagat's estimate of $48/dinner which includes a drink.

Most or many places serve brunch. Near the Iroquois Le Madeleine on 43 betw 8th & 9th is just one. There's evidently a good rest. IN the hotel called Triomphe. For more of a destination place, I like the Water Club which is actually a barge on the East River at 30th st. Very nice views. The downside is there's NOTHING near it if you want to wander around before or after. For that you might try the Upper west side where there are tons of places, the Union Square area or the village.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 08:35 AM

I've walked by Il Buco many times and loved the way it looked so I finally ate there. The food is very good but I think a bit on the pricey side. Most of the menu is tapas style (small tasting dishes) although you can also order entrees. I wasn't expecting that type of menu and we just ordered the regular entrees. I think with a group, you can order a big variety of dishes from the menu and have a little tasting feast which could be a lot of fun. I was most disappointed with the service. The waiter seemed to have some real attitude. When they didn't have the wine we selected, he tried to talk us into a replacement at twice the price. When we finally agreed on a replacement, it came to the table room temp (this was supposed to be chilled white wine). We had to exchange that for yet another bottle that had been chilled longer. All in all, the food was very good, but I wouldn't go back.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

mclaurie

Since time got away from us, none of the restaurants that we wanted to revisit or try had reservations open when we wanted to dine. After the 6th "before 6pm or after 10pm" response to our reservation request (which was preferrable to 3 weeks from next Tues.), I turned to the Open Table website, filled in the date and reservation time and saw what was available. From there I checked the websites of the restaurants that sounded interesting. Il Buco's menu sounded good and the restaurant looks charming - it reminded me of a restaurant in Rome. I'm sorry MFNYC had a less than favorable experience with the service. I hope we fair better.

Anyone else??

Kat
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 12:48 PM

Kat, if you're happy, I'm happy. Do you want some other suggestions-perhaps closer? It's a bit of a trek from your hotel.

FYI on the Iroquois-there's another poster here (Babette) who's an expat coming to NYC from France at Xmas with her Mother-in-law who's evidently quite wealthy & picky. They're staying at the Iroquois. I have no idea how she selected it though. I hope you'll post back.

Happy Anniversary!
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 01:04 PM

Iroquois is a superb boutique hotel. Rooms are very small but the bathrooms are recently renovated in all marble. Most of the rooms have no view but that is true of many places in NYC.
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 01:26 PM

If they still are willing to do it (and under the old owner's they definately would) ask about having desert downstairs in the wine cellar. Il Buco has a really cool wine cellar that is one of the most interesting rooms in the City.

I'll spare you my rant on how it is no longer the spot is was in 1997, pre-ownership change and invasion of the Hamptons crowd.
Old Oct 8th, 2003, 10:58 AM

My mother and I stayed at the Iroquois on our first trip to NYC in 9/01. It was a beautiful boutique hotel. Fresh flowers in the lobby made it smell wonderful as soon as you entered the door. Their is a small library/lounge area named for James Dean who stayed there. The room was very small as was the bathroom but everything was very plush. Bed linens were marvelous and bathroom was all marble and not a spot of dust anywhere. Great location-quick walk to TS and Rockefeller Center. Red Flame diner a couple doors down is excellent for breakfast and very reasonable. Hope you enjoy.
Old Oct 9th, 2003, 06:50 AM

Wow, the Iroquois has really changed. I used to always stay here when I went to NY, but it never looked like it does on the website now. You can't beat the location. If you stay here, let us know how it was.