Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC Hotel Help Please (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-hotel-help-please-580589/)

lindsyb Jan 10th, 2006 06:12 PM

NYC Hotel Help Please

I know there are many threads regarding NYC hotels but I am not familiar with the area and am quite confused reading the various reviews. I am attending a conference at the NY Hilton (which I believe is on 6th Ave - Ave of the Americas) but it is sold out. What hotels do you recommend in the area? Thank you.

KathrynT Jan 10th, 2006 11:48 PM

The Michaelangelo is close by and gets good reviews.

alya Jan 10th, 2006 11:56 PM

lindsyb,

Who is paying? What's your limit $$$?

The Hilton is sold out!! you must be visiting during a popular time? When are you visiting? What conference?

The more info you provide - the more help you will get :-)

mclaurie Jan 11th, 2006 02:13 AM

Gee, if the Hilton is sold it (it's huge) some of the nearby places may be too. The Warwick is right nearby, a nice smaller hotel. I recently saw some good prices for it($205-250) on both their own website and onetravel.com and I think quikbook.

The NY Sheraton & Towers is nearby. It's another huge convention type hotel. Wouldn't be my pick but if there's no room, it's an optiion.

The Michelangelo is indeed close and a lovely hotel. I've sometimes seen specials for it on travelzoo.com but not currently.

Most hotels in "midtown west" would be near enough.

mclaurie Jan 11th, 2006 02:16 AM

Just remembered the Blakely and the Rihga Royal are also both not far.

lindsyb Jan 11th, 2006 05:06 AM

Thank you all. I have looked into the hotels you have suggested. The hotels with the best reviews, close by and in the same price range as the conference rate seem to be the following:

Righa Royal
Warwick
Blakely
Salisbury
Michelangelo

Any favorites or experiences with these hotels? Thanks again.

GoTravel Jan 11th, 2006 05:16 AM

Salisbury
Le Parker Meridian

Actually, the Hilton on Sixth Avenue is so centrally located in Midtown, there are probably 45 hotels within spitting distance of the Hilton.

mclaurie Jan 11th, 2006 05:19 AM

They're all really nice hotels. Not a dog in the group. The Salisbury should be the cheapest. It's a suite hotel so rooms tend to be very large with kitchens but they've been reported to be a bit tired looking. Since this is a business trip, I'll just mention I've had problems contacting people there through the operator. Not a lot of service there. Very popular tourist hotel. Not set up, imo, for business.

Righa Royal-all suite hotel (1 bedrooms) owned by Marriott. Very nice.

Warwick, lovely older hotel. Probably closest to NY Hilton. Some rooms very small.

Blakely, another all suite hotel but recently renovated with upscale amenities like soaking tubs, fancy linens etc.

Michelangelo, probably the nicest of the bunch. Regular rooms.

So, if the idea of extra space (for entertaining?) and/or a kitchen appeals to you, consider one of the suite hotels (Salisbury, Rihga, Blakely).

If price isn't an issue nor the above and you just want the nicest, I think the Michelangelo is it followed by the Blakely and Rihga.