NYC hotel choice, Michelangelo or Le Parker Meridien

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2008, 07:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok NY-type Fodorites, a frequent board lurker, but infrequent poster needs your help. Have done my due diligence searching the past boards, but can't seem to find much help for my specific question. Trip to NYC for my birthday/husband seminar in a few weeks. Seminar is at the Hilton on 53rd/54th. Not staying there no matter what. Have a reservation at Michelangelo for approx. $400/night. Am starting to second guess, and have narrowed my other possible options to one, Le Parker Meridian. Price is not my major consideration – LPM would be more, but I could get a park view, which is appealing to me. Both seem equi-distant to hubby's seminar. Here's what we're doing: Wed night – pre-theater dinner at Vong, then theater, either All My Sons or Seagull (wouldn't mind an opinion on that choice either...). Big edge to Michelangelo based on the inevitable walk home from show b/c of our inability as polite midwestern tourists to flag a NYC cab. Thursday night - family dinner at La Mirabelle on the Upper West Side. Edge – even, will have to cab from either place. Friday, spending late afternoon at MOMA, eating at the Bar Room at the Modern. Edge – LPM a little closer, but time won't be a factor, and we don't mind walking. Both Thursday and Friday morning I will want to run in Central Park. Big edge to LPM. I also will be doing a spa on either Thurs. or Fri., but haven't booked. Basically I am leaning toward keeping my Michelangelo reservation, but am tempted by the slick looking modern pictures on LPM's website, and the possibility of a park view room. LPM also has better food choices for breakfast/lunch with Norma's and the burger joint, while Michelango seems to have none. Thoughts anyone?
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 09:14 AM

I haven't stayed at either, since I used to live in the city, but my choice would be LMP if price is no object. Michaelangelo looks like a cute little hotel, right in the middle of the Times Square hubub. But it doesn't look like anything special. LMP is a lovely hotel and I've always gotten great service there (in other cities). They also have the restaurants you mentioned.

I did want to point out that taxi is not your only option to La Mirabelle. It's on 86th street and is an easy subway ride (take the local) from either the Michelangelo or LMP.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 09:48 AM

Without a doubt, Le Parker Meridien.

Old Oct 8th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Hmmmmmm....very interesting. I thought there might be more waffling. Thanks so much--as a frequent lurker, I have agreed with "gekko" recs in the past. Lisette, thanks for the subway tip. I'd much rather take the subway than, as I mentioned, try to hail a cab in NYC!!

Anyone have thoughts on Seagull or All My Sons?
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 11:51 AM

I've stayed at LPM and would recommend it especially w/a view of CP. It really is a great location. Norma's is yummy. The subway is very close.

We are staying at the Benjamin for the second time on our upcoming trip in large part because it has rooms w/balconies. We love to sit on the balcony and watch the city, which can also be a nice view, especially if one is not from a big city.
Old Oct 8th, 2008, 12:27 PM

My husband and I saw the Seagull. He loved it. I was bored out of my mind. Kristen Scott Thomas was really good in it, but I could barely keep my eyes open watching anyone else in it. I've seen another Chekov play, Three Sisters, and liked that one, but this one - not so much. Can't help you with All My Sons.