Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC hotel booking question -- suggestions for last minute deals?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yikes! My girlfriends and I are hoping to go to NYC for a girls weekend on March 26-28. I've been looking online on the big travel sites and a lot of places are showing no available rooms over that weekend. I'm just curious if anyone knows if some big hotels block out their room allotments with the big sites (like Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, etc.) and then open up more availability as they get closer in. I know we are really close-in already! Also, has anyone had any good luck with very last minute bookings, like Priceline or Hotwire?

I don't want to chance it, but things aren't etched in stone either, so I'd rather try and get a deal, than pay too much because we are so last minute.

Thoughts?
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 11:29 AM
jenifer

Yes, lots of people have had luck with priceline and hotwire!!!!

www.biddingfortravel.com
www.betterbidding.com

are great sites for getting tips on how to bid for hotel rooms. There is a LOT of information to read there, but read it all and make sure you understand it. If you do, there's a good chance you can find a deal, unless there is something major going on in NYC that weekend that has all the hotel rooms booked.

Also - be sure that your trip is etched in stone before trying those sites. Their reservations are non-refundable, so once you click "OK" you're paying for the room (if they find one for you) whether you make the trip or not.

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! My one nervousness is Priceline, etc. can't guarantee a room with 2 beds. We are okay with on queen or one king if we can put a cot in the room, but I know space at NYC hotels is at a premium. There are three of us.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 11:52 AM

hotwire.com is the best... I got the best deal in a great hotel.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 11:54 AM

There is a convention going on at the Jacob Javits Center from March 25-27 which might explain the availability issue.

Also check Travelzoo.com, LastMinuteTravel.com and Quikbook.com for hotels that may or may not have deals going on right now.
Also check the hotel websites themselves! I have found cheaper deals on directly through the hotel site than going through one of the consolidators!
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 12:00 PM
jenifer

Actually, for three I would not use priceline (or hotwire), unless you are willing to book two rooms. But, it's possible that you could get two rooms for less than the price of one regular price depending on circumstances.

Still, I'd check the sites missjanna mentioned, especially the hotel web sites. Also, maybe look into hotels that are a little "off the beaten track" like in the Soho/Village area or upper east or west sides, rather than right in mid-town.

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 12:33 PM

You will be fine with Priceline.

When you get to the hotel this is what you do.
1. Have a $5.00 bill folded in your pocket as you get to the reservation desk.
2. Say this to the person:
"I'd be so thankful if you could put us in your best (view) room with two double beds" and smile from ear to ear.
3. You will get the two double beds and possibly an upgrade.
4. If they say, oh priceline, say, anything you can do, now bring out that $5.00 bill slowly but visibly to the person you are working with... will be most appreciated...
5. You will get the two double beds..
6. When you do casually give them the $5 and have a good time...
7. Stay confident in your delivery and you will be golden.

Point of fact: Stayed this past weekend in Chicago 4 star hotel for $60.00 each night and very happy.

Point of fact: Last weekend stayed in Savannah resort for same price...

Priceline's not so bad folks. Supply and demand is on our (consumer) side.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 01:40 PM

amandaamanda -

Sorry, but this is a really bad idea. There are a lot of hotels in New York that have no or limited rooms with 2 double beds. And Gardengrl or one of her friends could end up having to sneak into the room and sleep on the floor - or get another room at fullprice. Plus, a bribe of $5 would be insulting. Not that I recommend bribing anyone - but if you do at least make it a $20. (IMHO if they have what you want they will give it to you - if they don;t $5 is not going to help.)
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 01:44 PM
jenifer

Totally agree with NYTraveler.

Picture this - a room in NYC that contains a double bed (or maybe queen or king). There is just enough room on either side of the bed to walk, no more. At the foot of the bed is a narrow walk-way between the bed and the TV/dresser. That's it - that's your room.

Many of the hotels in NYC only have rooms of this size. I'm guessing that a $5 is not going to be enough for them to expand a room for you magically.

Also agree - do you really think that $5 will buy anybody's cooperation?

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 02:08 PM

What a great idea of offering a $5.00 bill. That way if the clerk hasn't already sized you up as a total cheapskate for using Priceline, he or she will know for sure when you act like a measly $5.00 is some sort of wonderful offer. How totally insulting! New York isn't Las Vegas, you know.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 02:10 PM
GoTravel

garden, at this late date, book whatever you can find.

This is a busy time in NYC.

Do not do priceline because it is common in NYC for hotel rooms to have only one bed.

amanda, $5 isn't going to work in NYC when hotels are running at 100% occupancy.

Old Mar 11th, 2004, 03:51 PM

Do not insult the hotel clerk with a $5 bribe. There is nothing wrong with asking nicely for a room with a view, away from the elevator, etc., but the $5 is unnecessary and rude. And as stated earlier if you need to bribe, $5 is not going to do it.

Gardengrl I had good luck with hotelkingdom.com when I got the bright idea one year to go to NYC last minute not realizing it was Marathon weekend! Give them a try.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 05:04 PM

Unless you can grab two rooms with Priceline or Hotwire at a price reasonable to you, my recommendation would be to pick another weekend.

amandaamanda's $5 scheme may (I doubt it though) work in a nearly empty hotel, but not if the hotel is nearly booked and you arrive late in the day.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 04:27 AM

You should check the Affinia group of hotels. Many of their rooms are suites that can accommodate more than 2 more comfortably. The website is www.affinia.com. Click on special offers. This is a nice line of hotels, all in decent areas. They have some very good deals. I just booked a bunch of rooms for an upcoming family function using the 'grandparent' special (there was nothing that said you had to be a grandparent!). I books 1 bedroom suites (separate living room with sofa bed and kitchenette) for $178 at Shelburne Murray Hill.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 04:44 AM
Cassandra

I had good luck with www.quikbook.com and if memory serves, I was able to specify 2 beds. You'll need to know which hotel(s) you want before you get there, and in many cases it's a matter of pre-paying the room. When I got to the hotel, the desk clerk was surprised at the good rate I'd gotten. I don't say this is a good site for ALL hotels and all situations, because I've sometimes had better luck just going directly to the hotel's website instead and looking for a special.

It depends, I suppose, on how much of a gambler you are -- waiting 'til the VERY last minute to see if Orbitz or others suddenly have something listed versus paying a tad more and locking in a room.

Old Mar 12th, 2004, 06:31 AM

The HOJO on 8th Ave is showing 2 double beds for $230, BUT I would try 2 priceline rooms first for less than the above.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 01:53 PM

Just confirmed a 4-star hotel on priceline.com for $150 for the same weekend. I searched for 2 hours for the best rate, and everything was sold out or over $200. Good Luck!
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 02:40 PM

I recently had good luck with Priceline. I bid $99 on a 4 star hotel in the theater district. My bid was accepted and I got The New York Hilton and Towers. Before I left, I phoned the hotel and made my request. As the hotel was not completely booked, they told me they would most probably be able to honor my request. I too requested double beds. They did in fact honor the request. The room was clean but not modern. The tv was small and on top of the dresser. The bathroom was updated with decent toiletries. My advice - call the hotel and ask before you go. Get the name of the person you speak to just in case. Forget the $5.00 bribe. It is insulting. Most hotels will try to accomodate you if they can. A courteous manner goes much further than $5.00.
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 03:40 PM

$5.00 is a tip, not a bribe.

I am glad to make this clarification to all.

Kind regards,
Amanda
Old Mar 12th, 2004, 03:54 PM

One does not "tip" dsk staff. Money to them is a bribe - not a tip for a legitimate service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -