Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC: Holiday Inn 6th Ave (or other recs) in October (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-holiday-inn-6th-ave-or-other-recs-in-october-899453/)

jent103 Jul 19th, 2011 01:37 PM

NYC: Holiday Inn 6th Ave (or other recs) in October

The situation is this: I'm planning a long weekend trip, probably October 14-17 (yes, high season) with three other women, all early to mid-30s. Two of the girls are currently out of the country, so I didn't think we'd be booking anything this early. However, one of the girls has a colleague, recently moved from NYC and apparently extremely helpful, who has done some research and has tentatively held a room for us at the Holiday Inn 6th Avenue for $299/night, plus taxes ($60 less than the published rate - hotel site is here: http://www.holidayinn.com/hotels/us/...vc/hoteldetail ). According to the colleague, this is a big weekend in NYC and we need to book quickly.

I checked TripAdvisor reviews and they average 3.5/5. The most recent "terrible!" ones mention bedbugs... I'm really hoping that's gone away. Does anyone here have personal experience with the hotel, or at least have input on the location? One of the girls going with us used to live in NYC. However, she's in Australia at the moment and since the rooms are currently on someone else's credit card, we'd like to make a quick decision if possible, so input would be great. What we're looking for:

- budget under/around $300/night (less, of course, is great, but that seems to be the least that's reasonable)
- we're all fine with sharing one room as long as there are two double beds
- "character" would be great and all, but typical HI or Hampton Inn rooms are just fine
- while we're definitely not afraid of walking or public transit, something in a good tourist location would be great. I've spent about ten hours in Manhattan total, so I don't have a good idea of where that would be just yet.

(Also: Yes. I do realize there are many, many threads about NYC hotels, and if we pass on this one, I will be reviewing them thoroughly. I've skimmed already, and did a search for this hotel, but couldn't find anything specific about it. As I mentioned, I didn't think we'd be booking quite yet!)

Any thoughts or suggestions you have would be great! Thank you for your help.

ellenem Jul 19th, 2011 02:58 PM

The hotel is close to Madison Square, an OK location with close access to multiple subway lines. Walkable to Chelsea, Union Square and even walkable to the Village and Rockefeller Center/Times Square if you don't mind walking. It is on a relatively nondescript block, but plenty to do and see just about around every corner. If it lists two double beds, don't expect queen-size beds. iIf the $299 is for 4 people, I think it is a very good deal for that time of year.

nytraveler Jul 19th, 2011 03:28 PM

That rate is a mjaor bargain. Make sure it is for 4 people and 2 double beds.

doug_stallings Jul 19th, 2011 06:18 PM

This is a good rate. Basically, I don't really trust most complaints about bed bugs. (Yes I know they exist in NYC but dont believe they are as prevalent as Tripadvisor complaints would suggest.). And when complaints are legitimate, serious hotels take rooms offline and treat them immediately, so complaints are good for basically one week.

jent103 Jul 20th, 2011 06:52 AM

Thanks, y'all - I appreciate the input so much! The rate is definitely for two double beds, but the colleague booked us two rooms at $299/each, so we'll make sure the hotel knows there would be four people in one rather than two people in two. Doug, the bedbugs input is very good to know. There were two bedbug complaints on TA in the last couple of months, but one of the reviews was halfway unintelligible anyway and the other was extremely short ("stayed for five nights, bites started two days after I got home"), so I wasn't sure what to think.

Of course, now we <i>may</i> be staying one more night and we still haven't heard from the former NYC resident currently in Australia, so hopefully that colleague is okay with his credit card being tied up a few more days! :)

jent103 Jul 20th, 2011 10:17 AM

Checking things more thoroughly, it looks like the rate was only for two people. With extra person charges ($20/night/person) and taxes, the total rate for this hotel should come to about $380/night. It's good to know we have a reservation, but I'm looking at other options too, just in case we find a better option. Normally I'm a big fan of Hotwire, but it won't let me select four people in a room, so we'd have to either get two rooms or take a big gamble on getting a double-double (which I don't think is a smart way to go).

sf7307 Jul 20th, 2011 11:20 AM

Hotwire DOES let you select 4 people in a room -- only Priceline does not.

ellenem Jul 20th, 2011 11:27 AM

Park South Hotel has a double-double including breakfast, arrive Oct 14, dep Oct 17 for $373, including breakfast. May be a slightly less better location.

jent103 Jul 20th, 2011 11:41 AM

sf7307, I know it usually does, and I figured it was because New York hotel rooms are typically small or something like that. But I just tried it using Firefox (I usually use Chrome) and you're right - it worked just fine. The other dropdowns (rooms, #children) work perfectly in Chrome. I wonder why this one doesn't? Bizarre. Anyway, the best I can do there is a $275 3* in Midtown Central, a $285 3* in the Empire State Building area, or $286 in the Chelsea/MSG area (which could very well be the same hotel, I suppose).

I also found the Hilton New York on Expedia for $279, but their extra guest fee is $90. Yikes.

ellenem, thank you so much for checking on that! I'll definitely add it to the list of possibilities.

sf7307 Jul 20th, 2011 11:45 AM

Have you compared the amenities lists for the Hotwire hotels to the list on betterbidding.com?

http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?showtopic=88&

jent103 Jul 20th, 2011 12:01 PM

I did for the $275 3*, since it seemed like the best option in terms of location. I think it's likely the Holiday Inn Midtown 57th, based on the amenities and TA reviews. That's definitely a better deal as long as it includes the extra person fees. Am I right in thinking that anything in the Midtown Central area on Hotwire would be a better location than the Chelsea/Madison Square Garden area? The zone has funky boundaries, but goes from Central Park down to 43rd and 10th Avenue over to 5th, at the max.

jent103 Jul 20th, 2011 12:03 PM

(Of course, the fun part about planning when half your group are in other countries is that we're still waiting to hear for certain when everyone can leave. So by the time we could actually book, the Hotwire prices may be gone!)