Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Grand Canyon helicopter tour advice please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Down to final research for a helicopter tour to Grand Canyon environs, anyone have any experience with Looktours.com? they seem to be offering what we want (time is of the essence, hence helicopter tour for a quick and dirty dash for a quick look before back to the partying). Any other recommendations? Thanks.
Old Mar 17th, 2011, 05:42 PM

You mean from Vegas, I think.

I took the Look Tours air/ground tour. The pick you up at the hotel, take you to the airport (not LAS). Fly to GCY and then get on a bus to go see several of the best viewpoints. They did a good job and I thought it was a good value.

I booked the trip online at that website. I knew that Look Tours is part of JTB. It actually is JTB USA. JTB is a big Japanese tour company that I know about from several trips to Japan. Your guide will speak English!
Old Mar 17th, 2011, 05:44 PM

http://www.papillon.com/ is generally the most recognized helicopter tour company of the GC.

looktours appears to be a middleman. You can see in the photos and see they use papillion helicopters.

I would take the longest tour possible. It would be much better to take a full two days and drive out to the GC, but if not, then by all means do a tour from Vegas.
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 01:55 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. Will post again on return and let you know how it all transpired. We're only in Vegas for three full days so a quick trip to get a feel for the place is what we're after.
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 09:48 AM

The chopper tours go to the West Rim, That has its merits but the best views are at the South Rim which is farther and require a an airplane or ground transport.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 10:43 AM

You can take a plane flight to the South Rim, then take a helicopter tour from there. If you take Helicopter from Las Vegas, you will be flying to the West Rim. Either way, both are spectacular from a Helicopter. Look Tours is a middle man shop, you are better to book direct. Papillon is probably going to be the best priced, they have a variety of Canyon Tour options from $270 per person depending on if you get their most discounted rates.
Old Mar 25th, 2011, 04:40 PM

Who flies to the South Rim? Which Company? Not who flies there, but do they fly there from Vegas or other places? I thought it was for private planes and tours that originated from there.
Old May 14th, 2011, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

Hi all, thanks for the feedback. Now back from my Vegas trip (wow! what a place!).

We took the helicopter trip with Sundance Helicopters - booking through All Las Vegas Tours. $296.99 each. Limo pick up at the hotel (and drop back as well). Pilot was very friendly and informative, we had a short break for a sandwich lunch with a glass of bubbly. Would definitely recommend a helicopter or plane trip to get the aerial views - absolutely fantastic way to arrive, even though only West Rim and not South Rim which by all accounts is even more stunning, a trip to the West Rim is still definitely worth taking time out for. And of course, not forgetting flying back over the Strip and getting views of that. Would definitely recommend.
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 12:38 PM

I 100% agree with spirobulldog. Look tours is a middleman, they don't actually do any tours... ...but if they can beat the providers price why not! However, I don't believe this is the case for all tours, particularly Papillon. If your considering a Papillon Tour i found they have the best price. At check you'see a coupon box and if you search Google you'll find 5% coupons, not much but every penny counts - Papilloncouponcode.com
As to the $296 Sundance tour I checked out the site, you forgot to mention the $49 check in charge... ...another great company and still not a bad deal (Sunday morning only).
Keeping it real!!!
Old Jul 13th, 2013, 12:45 PM

Shirley,

FWIW, the post is 2 years ago.