Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC - Good restaurant within 2 blocks of 45th and 3rd. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-good-restaurant-within-2-blocks-of-45th-and-3rd-282441/)

TxTravelPro Jan 15th, 2008 07:31 AM

NYC - Good restaurant within 2 blocks of 45th and 3rd.

Any cost or type of cuisine.
I will be dressed VERY casual.
Is there anything around 45th and 3rd that is 'the best'?
The best Chinese? The best salads? The best American food? Etc...
I go next week!
Thanks!

lisettemac Jan 15th, 2008 08:22 AM

You have put a very tight parameter around your request -- 2 blocks. There is very little that I can think of that is memorable in that neighborhood that isn't an upscale restaurant. Pietro's (old world steakhouse/Italian) or L'Impero (Italian) come to mind, but both are a little more dressy than what you've indicated.

Your best bet would be the food court on the lower level of Grand Central. There are lots of NY restaurants there -- Two Boots pizza, Brother Jimmy's bbq, Junior's deli (famous for its cheesecake), Mendy's kosher deli, etc.

If you're willing to travel beyond 2 blocks, there are some other options. Some think 'Ess-a-Bagel (in the low 50's) is among the "best" bagel shops in the city. Zarela's is delicious, authentic mexican (also in the low 50's), my husband likes Duke's barbecue at 37th and 3rd.

lisettemac Jan 15th, 2008 08:30 AM

Another great option outside of your 2 block parameter is Sarge's deli -- 3rd Ave b/t 36 and 37th streets.

nytraveler Jan 15th, 2008 09:23 AM

First of all - for the best of anything - except pizza, hot dogs or deli - your attire is going to be too casual.

Second - that specific area doesn't have a lot of great restaurants - never mind "the best". NYC has thousands of restaurants - so the best of anything is a very small percentage - and usually very big bucks.

Can't really thing of anything even very good is such a tiny area.

And- most important - what are you willing to pay?

(And why two blocks? Are you handicapped? Have very limited time?)

Fra_Diavolo Jan 15th, 2008 09:37 AM

Well, there's Cafe Centro and Naples 45 both at 45th and Park (northern end of Grand Central). The former is a pretty good bistro and the latter has very good pizza.

lizziea06 Jan 15th, 2008 09:52 AM

Sushi Yasuda fits the bill...43rd b/t 2nd and 3rd. It would be considered a great sushi place in any neighborhood, let alone culinary siberia (45th & 3rd)!

http://menupages.com/restaurantdetai...mp;cuisineid=0

That's really all that comes to mind that could be considered great...

That's a tough neighborhood b/c it caters mostly too business people with expense accounts (Cap Grille, L'Impero) or lunch for workers in the nabe (Hale & Hearty, GC Food Court).

Hint - a good way to look at restaurants around a certain address is to create a google map for 45th & 3rd, select "find businesses", and then search for "restaurants.

doug_stallings Jan 15th, 2008 10:04 AM

Regrettably, the "best" of anything is not available near that particular location. This part of midtown is a veritable wasteland of dining options, in my opinion.

There are some possibilities, though. I really like Good Burger, which has an outlet at 43rd and 2nd Ave. Cosi, at 44th/3rd has excellent sandwiches on flatbread and pretty good salads. Aside from that, there are several good restaurants within Grand Central. I'd particularly recommend Junior's for deli-style food (this is a sit-down restaurant, albeit with paper plates and plastic cutlery).

TxTravelPro Jan 15th, 2008 10:04 AM

Lizzie... that may just work.

No cost restrictions.
I am coming in from an exhausting multi-leg trip. I have no desire to go 'out' or to change clothes. I want something very close with very good food. I don't need to be fussed over. I can even take out, if I have to.
Will it help if I expand it to 4 blocks?

Oh, and one other thing. I plan to eat around 530pm-6pm.

mp Jan 15th, 2008 12:04 PM

One of the best Chinese restaurants in the city is right there - Phoenix Garden. They can be erratic but I've had spectacular food there - the Salt and Pepper Shrimp, the crab cantonese style, the bean curd casserole - all wonderful cantonese food. They used to be located in the Chinatown Arcade (about 20 years ago . . .) and moved to the east side around 10 years ago . . . the staff can be brusque and they only take cash I think, but the food can be great. 242 E. 40th St. between 2nd and 3rd.

nytraveler Jan 15th, 2008 04:19 PM

Well if you're going to be that exhausted and don;t want to change - isn't that why they have room service? Then you can eat in your underwear if you want.

nstevey Jan 15th, 2008 05:34 PM

Try this:

http://www.gyu-kaku.com/stores/3rdavenue.html

It's Japanese, but not sushi. You cook your meat/fish/poultry on a grill at the table.

trippinkpj Jan 15th, 2008 05:54 PM

Okay, this is 6 1/2 blocks. I really liked Montparnasse, a classy casual (we were in nice jeans & sweaters), French bistro at 51st between 2nd & 3rd Ave. We had a great Prix Fixe lunch for $20.- each. You can also check them out on menupages.com. Also Ess-a-Bagel at 51st at 3rd has great bagels and sandwiches.

doug_stallings Jan 15th, 2008 07:06 PM

I forgot about Phoenix Garden. They're definitely worth it. But they don't deliver, so you will certainly have to go out.

Smith and Wollensky is at 49th/3rd Ave if you want an excellent steak as well (since money is no object). You can probably eat at the bar with no reservation or at Wollensky Grill.

lisettemac Jan 16th, 2008 05:24 AM

If you're willing to order in, your options are limitless.

TxTravelPro Jan 26th, 2008 09:24 AM

Day 1 - I stopped by the Amish Market and bought a 1/4 pound of high quality proscuitto, a cup of tomato soup and a pumpernickle onion roll. It was a wonderful meal!
I also bought supplies for breakfast and assorted drinks. I am crazy about this drink call MASH. It was so good!
Day 2 - I ended up eating at Ringo, at the Alex Hotel. I had the tuna tartare which was awesome. Then the beet salad, which was simple and also very good! Got the donut dessert which was not very good, but the scoop of ice cream/gelato that came with it was awesome!
Day 3 - Matzo Ball soup (no noodles) and a hot dog at Mendys in GSS. Also devine.
I was sick the whole trip, so I have to say the soup meals were the most satisfying!