Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC Good Budget hotel for 2 day stay (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-good-budget-hotel-for-2-day-stay-649695/)

Binkieloo Sep 28th, 2006 12:39 PM

NYC Good Budget hotel for 2 day stay

My parents (from South Africa) are concluding their three week stay in the US with two nights in NYC. The South African Rand is rather weak compared to the Dollar so it will be a rathe expensive trip overall.

Can anyone recommend cheap, but not "cheap" hotels in NYC that are close to the subways but in safe areas. They will have a lot of stuff that they would want to keep safe so something like a dorm style hostel would be a little awkward, unless you know they have safe rooms or soemthing.

Obviously they also don't want to be spending too much time getting from where they stay to the sites. They'll be flying into Newark and out of JFK so that's a consideration too.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

Bianca

nytraveler Sep 28th, 2006 04:21 PM

You really need to give us more info:

When are they coming? (prices vary a lot by season)

What do you consider cheap - in US $ (I know what it means to me, in NYC - but not to you)?

Would they consider a european pension style place with shared bath?

(For some perspective there's a hostel about a half mile from where I live much used by european students. A bed for one in a shared room - of 8 I think - is $35 per night - with a locker.)

Binkieloo Sep 28th, 2006 04:34 PM

Oops - sorry forgot about the dates. They'll be in New York the nights of 6 and 7 Nov.

They'd have no problem with a shared bath. Their biggest concern is leaving a lot of baggage in a shared room. They're getting a lot of stuff for my sister's wedding here, and they don't want to risk stuff getting stolen.

They realise that New York is not cheap. They have a budget of about $300-$400 for the two days including meals, entrance fees, accommodation, transport etc. So if it's possible to find something for $100 a night or less that's kinda what they're looking for. But they also don't want to be too far from anything that they make up the extra in transportation fees.

Hope this makes sense. If you need any more info please let me know.

nytraveler Sep 28th, 2006 04:57 PM

I don;t think you're going to find anything in NYC for $100 a night in November - or at any other time really.

You might do a search here for B&Bs - there was a list recently - but that might not fit their needs for security. And - I really doubt even they will go for $100 per night.

I would suggest looking at craigs list to sublet a studio - but usually people won;t do that for just 2 nights - and again probbly not for $100.

(As you can see from my example - even a shared room in a hostel would be $70 for 2 people.)

It seems to me that I read about a Seamans Center run by a church - perhaps Lutheran? - that rented any extra rooms.

You might google that.

Here are some decent downtown hotels (the area is perfectly safe - but not where most tourists stay). Quite basic inexpensive places - but don;t know what they will charge in November, which is high season:

Chelsea Lodge
Colonial Inn (shared or private)
East Village Bed and Coffee
Hotel Cosmopolitan
Hotel QT
Hotel St. James
Larchmont Hotel
Off Soho Hotel
The Pickwick Arms (private or shared) Second Home on Second Avenue (private or shared)
Sohotel

Margo_Chester Sep 28th, 2006 06:07 PM

Have you checked the Wolcott http://www.wolcott.com or the Grand Union? http://www.hotelgrandunion.com They are both clean, safe, well located budget options. If the on-line form shows no availability, call the hotel directly as they may have a cancellation.

Binkieloo Sep 28th, 2006 06:22 PM

Thanks for those suggestions. Although the Hotel QT's rates started at $520pn, all the others were a great suggestion. I have passed some on for my parents to look at.

tracys2cents Sep 29th, 2006 06:45 AM

I would be a little more careful about posting, on a public board, the exact dates that your parents are staying, the hotel that they might be staying at, and the information that they will have lots of valuable stuff in their room!

In other words, don't come back here and say "thanks, they found a great rate at the Larchmont Hotel!"

mclaurie Sep 29th, 2006 08:14 AM

I'm not sure I agree with tracy2cents but my 2 cents is $300-400 is totally unrealistic for a 2 day stay in NYC that includes accomodation.

bardo1 Sep 29th, 2006 08:19 AM

Bianca,

Here is a comprehensive listing of inexpensive NYC hotels. Hotel listings are by neighborhood. There are some I would avoid but the vast morjority would be OK. Perhaps you could pick a few and come back here for comments on your list?

http://www.eurocheapo.com/newyork/fe...-new-york.html

GoTravel Sep 29th, 2006 08:21 AM

tracey, most hotels have hundreds of rooms so who in the heck would know what room they are in?

And, doubtful thieves are scanning this website on the hope that someone with a lot of valuables may be coming to New York

Binkieloo, your parents need to up their budget. It will cost them about $60-$90 just to get to and from the airports. With a lot of luggage, public transportation isn't really an option. The Airtrain, bus, and subway is a giant PIA with luggage and forget about it at rush hour.

Your parents could get a priceline room for about $120 per night because their stay is a Monday-Wednesday but with taxes and fees, it will cost them $300 for both nights.

nytraveler Sep 29th, 2006 10:09 AM

Sorry - in November the Grand Union is about $175 with tax and the Wollcott is a little above $200.

Really - $400 will simply not do it. I think the most basic hotels will cost that, plus about $100 RT to the airports (shuttle bus to the city plus cab to hotel since they have lots of luggage) plus meals and attractions. I would be surprised if they get away for less than $700 if they want to see/do much.

highflyer Sep 29th, 2006 11:21 AM

I recommend they cut their stay to one night or double their budget.

Accommodation is the killer as you can eat cheaply. Thinking outside of the box.....Do you or they have any friends/ relatives/ friends of friends even ... that could put them up for a night?

doug_stallings Sep 29th, 2006 12:16 PM

The Larchmont is cheap and in a fab location but has shared baths. The Milford Plaza sometimes has good deals, and it's a good location in Times Square (though I don't really like this hotel, others have said its ok). You might also check Priceline and see if you can get a good deal for your parents.

If all else fails, there is a Comfort Inn in Long Island City (in Queens) right next to a major subway station. It's annoying not to be in Manhattan, but the rates at this hotel are usually significantly less than at Manhattan hotels, even during the busy seasons.

Jean_Valjean Sep 29th, 2006 12:47 PM

And Long Island City (in Queens) is just one subway stop away from Grand Central Terminal...

I do agree, however, that $300-$400 including hotel is unrealistic.

Margo_Chester Sep 29th, 2006 03:36 PM

hmm, didn't realize the price hike for the Wolcott & Grand Union for November - sorry, I should have checked before posting.

Priceline is certainly an option (you could bid on behalf of your parents), but you need to have a reservation (that can be cancelled without penalty) incase you don't "win" anything on Priceline. If hotel rates are filling easily on their own (which they would in November) there is less inventory on Priceline and a win in your price range will be tough. If you want to try and bid, post your situation on www.betterbidding.com and I am sure you will receive some help.

Binkieloo Oct 1st, 2006 05:36 PM

Thanks for the help everyone. They have booked a hotel for $70 a night for both nights - tracy I won't say which one ;). It's a hotel chain they're staying at during another part of the trip.

I hope this list helps others looking for budget hotels in NYC. It's a very helpful list and I will refet back to it when I want to go to NYC.

Ronda Oct 1st, 2006 07:33 PM

Well, darn Binkieloo, we wanna know! So, without giving too much away - are they right in town or a train ride away? Could you post the rest of their itinerary so we can figure out which major chain it is? ;0

niki Oct 2nd, 2006 03:20 AM

Hi Binkieloo, can you give me some hint of the hotel chain? I will be in NYC in Nov too and looking for budget hotel, thanks!

GoTravel Oct 2nd, 2006 05:19 AM

binkieloo, not very nice to not share when other posters have shared their advice with you.

I will say that at $70 your parents are not staying in a hotel in Manhattan.

Margo_Chester Oct 2nd, 2006 05:43 AM

I'm also guessing that they are staying outside of the city, but I don't understand why you won't share the name of the hotel. The name/location would be helpful to others looking for budget accommodations.

Hope your parents enjoy their visit!