NYC: Free events this weekend

Old Sep 29th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC: Free events this weekend

Hi, everyone:
Heading to the city Friday for the weekend, staying on UWS. Budget is *very* squeezed, so looking for free anything. I'm a 30-something who's made many previous trips so I've covered most "standards", but would be ok revisiting too. I'm happy to walk distances and wander just exploring, but would appreciate any specific recommendations. I know about Moma being free Fri 4-8, and that theoretically the Met will let you walk in without paying the "suggested" but have to work up the guts to do that. (Part of it is I feel like I *should* be supporting these great non-profits, but that's just not possible this trip.) Found the NYTimes website remarkably unhelpful to start with.

Thanks!
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 10:10 AM
yk

Check out this thread:
100 FREE things to do in NYC
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...1&tid=35143958
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 10:13 AM

Better listings of free events are on the websites of Time Out New York, and New York Magazine.
This weekend is also "Open House New York" weekend, with many free tours of architectural interest. (warning, many of the ones requiring reservations are long "sold out" I was unhappy to find out )
The Frick is another museum that has "pay as you wish", Sundays 11-1.

Old Sep 29th, 2008, 10:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for that link - should have known searching here would be more useful than google! A few of my favorites from there:

http://www.centralparknyc.org/site/P...s_walkingtours free walking tours

Samples at Zabars

Market at Union Square

Grand Central Terminal:
Free tours Wed and Fri at 12:30pm. Wed tour meets at the Round Information Booth. Fri tours meets outside on 42nd Street in front of the Phillip Morris Building/Whitney Museum entrance across the street from Grand Central.

http://www.ny.com/museums/free.html
Listing of free museum days
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 10:44 AM

Another vote for OpenHouseNY. Most sites do not require reservations. Some are available Sat, some only Sunday and some both days. All are free. Check site below for listings and maps to show you where they are. I'll be volunteering at Forbes Gallery on 5th Ave and 12th St - stop by to say hello!

www.ohny.org
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 11:12 AM

I'm a Met member, but I forget my card occasionally so I use the gift shop's elevator to get to the 2nd floor.

Try Juilliard and the New York Public Library for free concerts.
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 02:07 PM

There are several more walking tours listed here along with some other good info on happy hours etc.
nymag.com/cheap
Old Sep 29th, 2008, 03:45 PM

You'll be in town for the Brooklyn Museum First Saturday, which is a great event. If you haven't yet been to the museum, it's definitely worth checking out. You can take the 2/3 from the UWS.

http://www.brooklynmuseum.org/visit/first_saturdays.php

Old Sep 29th, 2008, 04:37 PM

Time Out NY lists hundreds of free events each week

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/

The Village Voice is also excellent source:

http://www.villagevoice.com/

You can purchase a paper copy of Time Out at any newsstand and the Voice is available in newspaper boxes for free all over Manhattan.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 04:24 PM

You've been to NYC before so you might have already done these, but the Staten Island Ferry is free as is the Forbes Gallery.
Old Sep 30th, 2008, 04:32 PM

You can also tour the New York Public Library (5th & 42nd St) for free at 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m on Mondays to Saturdays; 2:00 p.m. on Sundays Meet at the reception desk in Astor Hall (first floor). The tour last about an hour.

Old Oct 6th, 2008, 11:26 AM
Original Poster

Back home ...
Tour of the library was great; I did the one of the building and will definitely try the one on exhibits next time. Probably not for young kids, but otherwise excellent. About 20 people showed up for the 2:00 tour.

Tour of Grand Central was ok; how much can you complain for free? About 50 people showed up; actually runs for 90 minutes but I left after an hour, having had enough from the pleasant but not always fascinating guide.

Did enjoy 45 minutes of ambling around the Met for free; there's so much construction at the entrance and therefore confusion that no one even asked me for the "suggested contribution".

Also remember that when the weather is as glorious as it was this weekend, don't be afraid to walk and save yourself the $2 subway; I thought it was a much more pleasant experience to be out in the sunshine, and the savings were just an added bonus!