Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC for 3 days-trying to decide which of these shows to see (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-for-3-days-trying-to-decide-which-of-these-shows-to-see-891893/)

nanthompson2 May 22nd, 2011 01:35 PM

NYC for 3 days-trying to decide which of these shows to see

I'm taking my 22 y.o. niece (just graduated from college with a degree in fashion merchandising) to NYC for 3 days (starting tomorrow). We would like to see a show and am trying to choose between Rock of Ages, Memphis, Mary Poppins, Catch Me if You Can and Baby It's You (this is her list of what she might be interested in). I have been to various musicals over the years but am not a serious theater buff. I just want something fun and memorable for my niece. She is pretty easy going, and loves a variety of music, so if there is another show that we just "absolutely have to see", we would be open to it! I know this post is last minute, but I will be checking the forum for any responses! Thanks!!!

jgg May 22nd, 2011 02:18 PM

Just came back from NYC with my 19 yo daughter. We saw three shows, but none that you mentioned. We did see Mary Poppins in London a few years ago and loved it, and not just for little kids, so I would recommend it. I would also HIGHLY recommend an Off-Broadway show called "Love, Loss and what I Wore" - a friend recommended it and we both loved it- if your niece is into fashion then I would say this is a MUST see. It plays with a revolving cast that changes about every 6 weeks or so. We just saw it on Thurs. night (so prob same actresses) with Anne Meara, Conchata Ferrell, B. Smith, Minka Kelly and AnnaLynn McCord. I didn't know who the last two actresses were but my daughter did, and she was excited to see them.

For the record, the other two shows we saw were Billy Elliot and How to Succeed in Business. We loved both of them, but if she is willing to consider How to Succeed, I would recommend it. Daniel Radcliffe was great, but the subject matter would fit her recent graduation and her desire to try to succeed in business!! Plus, my daughter and I LOVED the costumes!!

SueNYC May 22nd, 2011 05:25 PM

Two really good recommendations above. My niece, nephew in law and great niece/nephew recently saw Mary Poppins and they all loved it.

I'd go with whatever is at TKTS.

nytraveler May 22nd, 2011 05:26 PM

Mary Poppins has had poor reviews and is discounting - check out broadwaybox.com. Billy Elliot had great reviews and How to Succeed not bad.

mclaurie May 22nd, 2011 05:34 PM

Gosh, her list is sort of all over the place. I don't agree at all that Mary Poppins got bad reviews. Most people love it but it wouldn't be the choice of most 22 yer olds. I was really looking forward to Baby It's You since I love that music but that DID get just awful reviews. Rock of Ages is popular with people who like 80's rock music. I saw Memphis and thought it was good (with discount tickets) but wouldn't be close to my first choice. Catch Me If you Can got lukewarm reviews but people seem to really like it. That's probably what I'd pick if it has to be from this list. I agree that How to Succeed would be good fun and Anything Goes is a classic.