Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC East Side Restaurant for Sunday? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-east-side-restaurant-for-sunday-449061/)

Fra_Diavolo Oct 30th, 2008 05:53 PM

NYC East Side Restaurant for Sunday?

Just found out I'll be in NYC Sunday to see a friend run the marathon. Afterwards will meet out college student son for dinner. Would like to take him to someplace nicer than the college restaurants he frequents.

I'm thinking it's too late for the Gotham, the Union Square, or Balthazar. True, or worth a call?

If not, I'd appreciate recommendations for French or maybe New American places somewhere along the Lex, between say the low Fifties and Canal.

Thanks!

Gekko Oct 30th, 2008 06:27 PM

Busy night.

Check options and make reservations here:

www.opentable.com

NeoPatrick Oct 30th, 2008 06:30 PM

I just looked at Gotham on Open Table. They still have 6:00 open and then 8:30. What time did you want to eat?

doug_stallings Oct 30th, 2008 07:07 PM

None of the restaurants you describe is on the "east side". They're all downtown, 2 of the 3 near Union Square. So I'm guessing you mean in the NYU area.

How about Blue Hill? It's close to NYU and might have an opening on a Sunday night. Artisanal would probably be a possibility. Gotham to me is a little stuffy for a college student, but the food has always been good when I"ve eaten there (though it's been a long time since I was there).

Fra_Diavolo Oct 30th, 2008 07:10 PM

Early is fine but the six disappeared while I tried to check it. Five is a little too early.

abranz Oct 30th, 2008 07:20 PM

i have always seen a lot of marathon runners at asia de cuba with medals around their necks.
if you are really interested in east side, try rayuela or stanton social in the lower east.
les halles is loud and fun in midtown.
besides balthazar, there is also mercer kitchen in the downtown area.
just be prepared for the mobs every where.

Fra_Diavolo Oct 30th, 2008 07:21 PM

Many thanks. I booked Artisanal, which looks perfect. I'll let you know how it turns out.

abranz Oct 30th, 2008 07:43 PM

artisanal is great especially if you love cheese.

lisettemac Oct 31st, 2008 08:06 AM

Artisanal is a good choice, though not on the UES.

On the UES, you might like Orsay (also french bistro) or Atlantic Grill (fish).

LowCountryIslander Oct 31st, 2008 09:01 AM

I was also going to suggest Artisanal. I had a great meal there when I was in NYC in May. The onion soup is To Die For! :)

Fra_Diavolo Nov 3rd, 2008 04:34 AM

Just wanted to thank people for their suggestions, and particularly Doug for recommending Artisanal, which we greatly enjoyed.

We started with a stilton and sauternes fondue, adding a plate of apple slices to dip in addition to the bread. This was a revelation.

We were equally pleased with our main courses -- I can especially recommend the daube of beef short ribs, Sunday's special.

The restaurant's decor is attractive and even early on a Sunday evening it was filled with lively crowd. In short, highly recommended!