Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC: Does anyone remember the Beverly Hotel? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-does-anyone-remember-the-beverly-hotel-211349/)

Nancy Nov 29th, 2001 07:29 PM

NYC: Does anyone remember the Beverly Hotel?

I stayed at the Beverly in 1993 and enjoyed the hotel and its staff. I think the hotel was located near the Waldorf - around 50th and Lexington. I haven't been able to find the hotel in any listings so guess it's either demolished or has changed its name. Thanks in advance!

Neal Sanders Nov 30th, 2001 04:08 AM

Nancy, the Beverly was one of a clutch of three or four hotels on Lexington between 49th and 50th; as you correctly note, directly across from the eastern entrance to the Waldorf Astoria.<BR><BR>The hotel has since been re-flagged as, I think, the Marriott East Side. <BR><BR>

lisa Nov 30th, 2001 05:00 AM

I don't think it's the Marriott East Side (that is more mid-block), but I do think it has changed hands. Is it now a W???

mimi Nov 30th, 2001 05:39 AM

We stayed at the Beverly the year that it closed down for remodeling. Our room was in bad shape but I agree that the location was great, the price was right, and the staff was good. It has reopened and is called the Benjamin and it has priced itself out of our league. I read that it is a beautiful boutique hotel with everything new.

Frank Nov 30th, 2001 06:00 AM

The Lexington Avenue hotels in Manhattan are forever changing names. The Marriott Eastside was previously the Halloran House and originally the Shelton Towers, the Radisson was previously the Hotel Lexington, the Metropolitan was the Summit, the Intercontinential Barclay was the New York Intercontinential and previous to that the Barclay, and mimi is correct the Beverly is now the Benjamin. But for the life of me I can't remember the previous name of the W Hotel.

lisa Nov 30th, 2001 07:12 AM

Was it the Kimberly?

Frank Nov 30th, 2001 07:32 AM

Lisa: Not a bad guess, but the Kimberly is still in business at 50th Street between 3rd and Lexington.

Frank Nov 30th, 2001 07:40 AM

Hats off to Google, the W Hotel on Lexington Avenue was the Doral Hotel.

lisa Nov 30th, 2001 07:54 AM

RATS! Got any more stumpers for us???

Frank Nov 30th, 2001 08:07 AM

Lisa: Here's one for you; 230 Park Avenue, the classic building with the copper clad roof and lantern that has Park Avenue running right through it, directly north of the Met Life Building (formerly Pan Am), at 46th Street and Park Avenue, do you know which one I'm talking about? <BR><BR>It has most recently been known as the Helmsley Building, what was it's original name and more obscure second name prior to being called the Helmsley Building?

lisa Nov 30th, 2001 09:38 AM

Sorry -- that's WAAAAAAY before my time. I've only known it as the Helmsley Building. Although I did work in the Pan Am building before it became the Met Life building and I still call it Pan Am. Does that count for anything???

Neal Sanders Nov 30th, 2001 10:12 AM

Frank, I believe that 230 Park Avenue began its life as the New York Central Building, as it was built over the air rights (long before there were such things) to what was then the New York Central Rail Road (much, much later to be known as Metro North).<BR><BR>Or is that going back too far?

Frank Nov 30th, 2001 10:39 AM

Bravo Neal: The New York Central Building it was. When the New York Central sold the building to Harry Helmsley, it was stipulated that the name be changed. Since it was carved in the limestone, he changed it to the New York General Building, necessitating a change of only 2 letters. The building name was changed to the Helmsley Building about 20 years ago.

Elizabeth Nov 30th, 2001 02:39 PM

I am pretty sure that in the 60s, whenI worked at a magazine, 230 Park Avenue was known as the McCall's building.

BevDoc Jan 18th, 2012 02:39 PM

I lived in the Beverly Hotel until it sold in 1997. It was my Grandfather's hotel. I shot a Documentary about my life there. It will be completed this year. Email me if you are interested in further information. Thanks,
Lisa
[email protected]

happytrailstoyou Jan 19th, 2012 08:14 AM

At last! A great reason to dig up an eleven-year-old post. Very interesting. Keep us posted.

HTTY