Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC Dining: Gramercy Tavern Clone or Alternative (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-dining-gramercy-tavern-clone-or-alternative-374409/)

gplimpton Nov 6th, 2003 11:58 AM

NYC Dining: Gramercy Tavern Clone or Alternative

Our favorite restaurant in NYC is Gramercy Tavern. We like the atmosphere, which is interesting, warm, nice but not stuffy. And we love the food and service, of course.

We'll be in Manhattan soon and didn't have a enough notice to make reservations at GT, now it's booked solid.

Anyone have a favorite which has many of the positive qualities of Gramercy Tavern? Cost isn't an issue, nor is location. French tends not to be our favorite cuisine, either.
Thanks for any opinions.

Patrick Nov 6th, 2003 12:17 PM

I think right up there is Gotham Bar and Grill.

tskobo Nov 6th, 2003 12:22 PM

As you know there are many many to choose from that are excellent, so I'll only offer up one that I like.

L'Impero is located in Tudor City near the U.N. It's Italian and wonderful! Also, the editorial winner of best new restaurant for 2003 by Citysearch (if that means anything).

Mangia!!

mclaurie Nov 6th, 2003 02:39 PM

Eleven Madison Park or Park Ave Cafe

travlnut Nov 6th, 2003 05:32 PM

Why don't you try the River Cafe? It will give you a view of the City you've never dreamed of - it is located in Brooklyn-- tremendous service- delicious food-- you'll get it all.

wantsomesun Nov 6th, 2003 08:39 PM

Union Square - just west off Union Square at 16th St. I think.

Cafe or Cirque 2000 - beautiful atmosphere, excellent service and I have heard rave reviews of the food.
Located at the Palace Hotel on Madison Ave and 50th St.

monpetit Nov 7th, 2003 12:16 AM

Craft with the same chief that GT and
in the same borough can be a very good
idea. It's restaurant of Tom Collicino.
Erik.

LilMsFoodie Nov 7th, 2003 02:03 AM

Craft or Gotham

Craft might be just as booked however as it is a flavor of the month.
LMF

GoTravel Nov 7th, 2003 04:19 AM

I had a stunning dinner recently at March on East 58th. Stunning.

gplimpton Nov 7th, 2003 09:46 AM

Thanks for the opinions.
I was able to get tables at Union Sq Cafe and Parke Ave Cafe.

March looks very enticing. I wasn't familiar with it.
Gotham takes reservations 6 weeks in advance, so not a chance there (except the lunch deal, of course).
I like the menu at L'Impero, too.
So many choices, so little time.
I'd be 450 pounds and oozing cholesterol if I lived in Manhattan.
Good thing the Peninsula has a great fitness center.

Patrick Nov 7th, 2003 10:20 AM

Wow, didn't know that Gotham Bar was that hard to book. But don't pass on the lunch deal. We booked only a couple days ahead and were surprised that there were quite a few empty tables. It was superb!!

welch Nov 7th, 2003 09:21 PM

Why not just eat in the Tavern (no reservations). Also check with the chowhounders at www.chowhound.com