Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC dining, activities for family with preteen & teen

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 12:32 PM
Penny

In April, my husband, I, and our two kids (boy, 12; girl, 15) are going to NYC for three days. We'll be driving there from Boston.

We'll be staying in midtown, not far from Times Square. We'll be planning to see Music Man, and perhaps another show--either Contact (my daughter's a dancer) or something else. Friends recently saw Lion King and raved about it, but I doubt we can get tickets now--we're going in about three weeks.

I welcome recommendations for eating and other activities. We'll be staying at a suites hotel w/continental breakfast, so we're covered for that meal. I myself want to get to the Metropolitan to see the Vermeers. I'm wondering about the NBC Experience, or something like that? The kids love music, movies, TV, art.

thanks!

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 12:47 PM
KC

Penny-
There are so many wonderful restuarants in the area around Times Square. One that is a favorite of mine is Osteria al Doge on 44th street. They have wonderful Italian food. Another good place is Ruby Foo's, which is pretty close by. If the weather is even semi-nice, walk around and "find" things to do. We usually just walk and walk until we reach Central Park, 5th Avenue. Your kids might also like to see FAO Schwartz (a HUGE toy store, but fun for all ages!).

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 12:53 PM
Brian Kilgore

A restaurant called America; the Carnegie Deli; Tenneesee Mountain House in the Soho neighborhood; the fast food area at the South Street Seaport; the cafeteria in the basement of the Trump Tower on Fifth Avenue (it's not nearly as expensive as you might think, the atmosphere is special, and the pizza is great)

If I was taking a biggish kid to an art gallery, I'd pick the Museum of Modern Art as my first choice; I like the helicopter that's there.

Staten Island ferry is almost mandatory; cheap, fun, shows the statue of liberty from a reasonable distance. Empire State Building roof.

BAK

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 01:00 PM
Owen O'Neill

They'll love the Egyptian exhibit at the Met - specifically the Temple of Dendur - really impressive even for those with little interest in art or history. If she's into dance you may consider Fosse or Chicago if she hasn't seen them - both have been showing up regularly at the TKTS booth lately. If there's music there that they might enjoy (possible but not likely given their ages) you might consider the BB King Club on W. 42nd Street. It's very nice, great sound, good line of sight to the stage and suitable for families. I believe they also have a gospel brunch there on Sundays in addition to the nighly entertainment. I suggest taking them on a walking tour of Bleecker Street in the Village and also Chinatown. Teens generally love the abundance of funky, unique shops and the vitality of the foot traffic etc.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 01:12 PM
KC

Oh-I forgot to mention a theme restaurant that teens Love. It's called Jekyll and Hyde. I think that there are 2 locations (one near Central Park and the other in Greenwich Village). Don't go to the one in GV, the other is better. You won't regret it...it's very fun!

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 04:55 PM
Caitlin

Go see Contact if you can; as a dancer, your daughter will love it and I know people who aren't especially into dance who have loved it, too. There is so much to see at the Met that I'm sure you can all find things to love. My favorite time-out there in the midst of all the visual stimulation is a few minutes in the serene gallery with a pool surrounded by benches and Tiffany stained glass panels. I second the recommendation for a stroll around Soho and Chinatown--it's entertaining, interesting, and different to kids. One popular-with-families Time Square restaurant is Virgil's Real BBQ.

Old Mar 27th, 2001, 10:33 PM
GOL

42nd Street is coming back to Broadway. Known for its dancing.

Riverdance on Broadway is spectacular, both in the dance and the music. Plus, easy to get TKTS or cheap(er) seats via Playbill.com

ESPNzone in Times Square may be popular with the 12yr old. Upper floor has a souped up arcade.

Huge Virgin Record store in TSquare area.

Catch a movie in one of the huge screen Sony theatres (for $10!!!)

See the Metropolitan Museum, Museum of Modern Art and the Museum of Nat. History. New York Magazine lists many of the exhibits, shows, etc. for the upcoming week, so get it before you leave.

Buy a daily Metro Pass ($4) and take the subway from your midtown hotel to Museum Mile. If you feel up to it, your walk back to the hotel can pass many touristy stops like FAO Schwarz, 5th Ave. stores, side of Central Park, St. Patricks Cathedral, Rockefeller Center, Diamond District....

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 07:38 AM
Penny

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 03:48 PM
Karen

Penny, I saw Contact recently and got half price tickets on a Thursday night at the TKTS in the World Trade Center. That booth opens in the morning, before the Times Square one. When I was walking in Times Square a couple of hours later, I noticed that Contact was not available there.
I personally loved Contact. However, you may want to think twice about taking your kids to it, especially the 12 year old. Contact is comprised of 3 separate and unconnected parts, each involving a different theme and style of dance. The show is quite "dark" in its themes. The first part is very sexual in nature and the second is about spousal abuse. The third involves a suicidal man. A wonderful show for adults, but I'm not so sure if there are not better alternatives for kids.

Old Mar 29th, 2001, 05:29 PM
em

When you go to the Met Museum of Art go to the roof -- you'll have to ask the guards for advice on how to get there - - the view is wonderful! Also, check out the central pk zoos & central pk itself. On a sunny weekend day the street performers etc are great near Bethesda fountain. YOu can also row nearby.
I recommend Annie get Your Gun for the family. Ellen Stardust Diner is great fun on 50s--Bwy (50s theme, singing waiters & sometimes patrons). Dine in China town - a dim sum place is nice -- Golden Unicorn is good,Marco Polo Noodle shop a bargain.
I personally hate Jekyll & Hyde==long lines, deceptive information on wait times. Like a disney nightmare. CHeck out SOho--kids love the shops. Timeout NY website has good ideas.Enjoy & do take the subway! Circle line if time/weather permits.

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 05:26 PM
Jonathan

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 06:14 PM
xxx

I would have to agree with Penny

Old Apr 2nd, 2001, 06:29 PM
Cathy

We love NYC and go several times a year with our children to visit family. There are endless things to do. I will mention a few of our favorites. To eat we have enjoyed Ruby Foo's, Carmines,by far my favorite for brunch is Sarabeth's.Also Union Square Cafe for dinner - make reservations- not sure if they have a children's menu. We went to Mars 2112 and while the atmosphere is fun and the "ride" to the dining area is exciting for the kids the food was horrible. I agree ESPN Zone is a hit with kids. Lion King was Wonderful. Central Park Zoo is very fun. Museum of Natural History- Rose Space Center is great and quite a nice sight at night. Intrepid Air Craft Carrier is a lot of fun and not crowded. Met. Museum the Temple of Dendar is a must and Japanese Garden area very nice. A fun place to end the night is Cafe Lalo for 100's of wonderful dessert choices and coffee- this was in the movie You've Got Mail- small but I think worth it for the atmosphere. I could go on and on - have fun in the Big Apple!