Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC: Did I make a big mistake...The Republicans are coming... (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-did-i-make-a-big-mistake-the-republicans-are-coming-459010/)

mitdoac Jul 11th, 2004 06:37 PM

NYC: Did I make a big mistake...The Republicans are coming...

Oh boy, I booked our trip to New York before I knew the Republican Convention would be in town during the exact same time. When I found out, I thought of canceling, or postponing the trip...Then I found out its at the Madison Square Garden....Oh no... I booked an apartment right across the street of from Macy's...just a stones throw away...

This is our first time in NYC. Will the presence of 50,000 extra people be noticed?
Is this going to be a total zoo with all the extra media and security? Or will this just be a small ripple? Just another day in Letterman land?

Cancel?...But I already have nice seats to "Wicked".

Help me Fodorites.....Would you change plans?
Tim

HowardR Jul 11th, 2004 06:42 PM

The area where you are staying will be a logistics nightmare during the convention. Should you cancel? That's a tough call....but it's certainly not the best time to come to NYC.

viamar Jul 11th, 2004 06:57 PM

Not only will NYC be full of people going to the convention but many people are pouring in to protest it. I'm surprised that you are able to find a place to stay. If you already have tickets to Wicked than I'd say tough it out. Who knows, you may have front row seats to history in the making, something to tell the grandkids about.

Scarlett Jul 11th, 2004 07:21 PM

mitdoac! You will be in New York City for the Republican Convention! How great is that?? Not just a trip to NYC to shop and eat and see a play, but during a most important time for our country..I think it will only add a whole new dimension to your trip.
To manage, you should be sure to book all the restaurants waaay ahead so as not to run into that old problem (crowds looking for good eats getting in your way)..
Be prepared for traffic but since this is your first visit, you won't even notice those 50,000 more!
Make all the reservations that you can for anything that you don't want to miss and just go have a Great time!
Scarlett, formerly a NYGirl~

Gothampc Jul 11th, 2004 07:31 PM

My advice is to try and book your hotel in another part of town. But otherwise you should come.

mclaurie Jul 12th, 2004 03:48 AM

I agree with gothampc. I wouldn't choose to stay near Macy's anyway, but certainly not at that time. If the apt is cancellable, I'd switch to a more residential area of town. If you're looking for apt type accomodations try
affinia.com-a group of all suite hotels with kitchens. The Beacon on the upper west side also has kitchens. The Salisbury and the Buckingham are both on 57th st (not so residential) and have suites/kitchens too. Check reviews for all of these on tripadvisor.

I agree with Scarlett on booking restaurants ahead, especially if there are any well-known ones you wanted. Have fun.

Ryan Jul 12th, 2004 04:11 AM

If you do come to NY then, which really depends on your disposition when it comes to crowds/potentially blocked streets/potential protests, then if at all possible, think about a different location.

Much of the area around Madison Square Garden will be a "Frozen Zone" that will certainly stretch from the West Side of 6th Avenue to at least the East Side of 9th Avenue. Figure that frozen zone runs at least 3 to 5 blocks North and South of the Garden.

If possible, I'd think about finding a location further Uptown where the traffic and pedestrian implications are less severe. The one problem I could see with getting to/or leaving from your apartment the day you arrive/depart is bringing luggage there. You might have a hard time having a taxi get through or even being able to find one. By bus/train into NY, certainly you're going to be put in a position where you might be walking several blocks in the August heat.

In terms of restaurants, at least at night, it might not present a problem as much of the convention occurs in the evening hours. But, several well known venues, like Radio City, the Met, Lincoln Center, and the Museum of Natural History night (I stress might) have disrupted daytime hours as they are likely venues for fundraisers or special "Conventioneers Only" viewing periods/tours.

Bottom line, if it were me and I had the ability to switch dates without serious financial penalty, I'd strongly consider it.

BTW, visitors aren't the only ones being disrupted. My firm is already making contingency plans for anyone who commutes into Penn Station

HowardR Jul 12th, 2004 04:58 AM

Scarlett, you're way off base with you comment about those 50,000 people not making a difference. They will make a HUGE difference, considering all the safety measures being put into effect because of their presence.
I think mitdoac will have a tough time changing hotel reservations. I think your realistic options are cancelling or making the best of what might be very bad situation.

Austin Jul 12th, 2004 05:04 AM

With the recent terror alerts regarding possible disruptions of the elections, my guess is that security will be extremely tight around this section of NYC during the convention.

audra Jul 12th, 2004 05:14 AM

Oh boy is right Tim, go another time. While I absolutely love NYC, (have been many times) I totally agree with Ryan, Austin and HowardR. While the crowds are part of the electricity and energy, this is totally different.

Getting anywhere in NYC can be considered *work*, with lots of extra effort required to go *anywhere*, and can be exhausting in and of itself, quite frankly, regardless of what type of crowds, rush hours, travel times etc. that you're accustomed to. Its like nothing you've ever experienced.

Its not just the volume of people converging on this city but the security measures *will* make a difference in many ways mentioned and unmentioned. If at ALL possible, I would MOST DEFINIETLY reschedule!

audra Jul 12th, 2004 05:18 AM

RE your tickets to Wicked: try ebay. Totally hot show so they'll sell quickly!

LoriNY Jul 12th, 2004 05:47 AM

Oh boy Tim. Most people who live and work here are trying to find a way to not be here during that week. Security is going to be extremely tight in the area around MSG. Since you already have tickets to Wicked, I would come, but I would highly recommend that you find somewhere else to stay. I would reco the Upper West Side or the Upper East Side. That way you are removed from the general MSG area.

BigRed Jul 12th, 2004 06:01 AM

I would def. cancel and reschedule. I recently read an article in Successful Meeting magazine about the convention. It said that companies in the Madison Sq. Garden area were urging their employees to take vacation time that week. They are expecting several hour delays just to get into the perimter area and they were checking everything and everyone going into that area. Sounds like a nightmare.

I would make sure no one goes near the Fleet Center in Boston for the Democratic convention either as I'm sure it will be the same

Scarlett Jul 12th, 2004 06:09 AM

Maybe moving the hotel would be good, but I have lived IN NYC during many years of this and that, and while, Yes, of course, it will be more crowded in some areas, it is still NYC and I don't think more people will make it intolerable.

Tim, I wish you luck on your decision!

Dreamer2 Jul 12th, 2004 06:14 AM

I live outside Boston, and you wouldn't believe what we've been hearing about security measures for the DemCon. Many people are not even planning on going into work that week, since trains won't go into North Station, and even buses from New Hampshire will be searched! I wouldn't think of going in as a tourist. I think if I were you, I'd put my Wicked tix on e-bay, and head to Bermuda! :) Well, okay, if you like cities, how about Boston when the commotion has left?

HowardR Jul 12th, 2004 06:24 AM

Scarlett, welcome to post-9/11 New York! You cannot compare what the situation in NYC will be during the upcoming Republican convention with anything that's occurred in the past. It's not just a case of 50,000 people coming into the city! Hey, that's not even close to what the city can easily absorb.

Ryan Jul 12th, 2004 06:40 AM

Scarlett, I respect your perspective as you are a former NYer. But, trust me - this will be like nothing NY has experienced before.

I lived a few blocks from the UN for several years. A few times when the General Assembly was in session, they'd shut down 1st Avenue a few blocks North and South of the UN. At most, I'd need to walk a block of two out of my way and have ID available at certain checkpoints. When the VIPS were moving around town, certain avenues were closed by motorcades causing a 10-15 disruption.

What will happen in August, will be that times 1000. There is already rumors that all NJ Transit trains will be barred from Penn Station for the ENTIRE month of August as the manpower to search each and every train for bombs will be unavailable. At worst, NJ Transit trains will be out the entire week.

Every LIRR or Amtrak train will be searched before entering the station. Chances are every subway train will or they will simply eliminate all trains that stop at Penn Station.

Once Bush-Cheney arrive, certainly traffic will be frozen in all directions on their route. As the President usually stays at the Waldorf when in NY, then from Park and 49th to 7th and 32nd could be frozen zone!

In terms of the restaurants, I don't think they will be overwhelmed at night. The conventioneers are busy and I can tell you based on the view from my colleagues and my wife's colleagues, anyone who can be out that week - is planning on it. However, I could see disruptions with food deliveries.

The one saving grace for someone coming to NY, is that so many of us here, won't be here. That could mean some things will be less crowded. But, getting around town will be seriously disrupted and several sites will likely be closed to the general public during the day.

nytraveler Jul 12th, 2004 06:58 AM

I wouldn't cancel the trip but I would definitely try to find another place to stay - if that is possible at this late date. There will be very tight security in the area right around MSG - not only for the delegates but for the hundreds of thousands of protesters that are expected. (I understand that the official area for the protesters' will be on eighth avenue from 32 street south - but if previous antiwar demonstrations are any gauge confining them to that area will be close to impossible.

So even though subways and commuter trains are going to follow normal schedules getting in and out of that area on foot will be very time-consuming and inconvenient.

You may want to try for a hotel as far from that area as possible - either upper west side or downtown - to have the least interference with your vacation.

nytraveler Jul 12th, 2004 07:00 AM

I wouldn't cancel the trip but I would definitely try to find another place to stay - if that is possible at this late date. There will be very tight security in the area right around MSG - not only for the delegates but for the hundreds of thousands of protesters that are expected. (I understand that the official area for the protesters' will be on eighth avenue from 32 street south - but if previous antiwar demonstrations are any gauge confining them to that area will be close to impossible.)

So even though subways and commuter trains are going to follow normal schedules getting in and out of that area on foot may be very time-consuming and inconvenient.

You may want to try for a hotel as far from that area as possible - either upper west side or downtown - to have the least interference with your vacation.

jasper Jul 12th, 2004 08:32 AM

i work in nyc, and need to transit through msg...i am considering taking off that week. it will be so bad, with the protestors, security, etc...i would definatley still come, but try to get a different hotel. most hotels can cancel up until 24hours before you were supposed to arrive. the area isn't that nice to stay in anyway. try like, the west 50's, or downtown. good luck!