Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC: Convention Questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-convention-questions-339427/)

travellyn Jul 21st, 2003 01:14 PM

NYC: Convention Questions

I'll be attending a convention in New York City early next year, and I'm trying to get a feel for the area now. Is the Javits Convention Center the only one that large groups (20,000+) use? What hotels would you recommend that would be within easy walking distance (10 minutes or less, if possible) of the Javits Center? I'm looking for moderate prices, for New York, and convenience to public transport. As a female traveling alone, I'm also interested in safety.

Thanks!

rb_travelerxATyahoo Jul 21st, 2003 01:30 PM

MTA Bus #42 runs the length of 42nd Street with stops in Javits Convention Center & Intrepid Museum. The street seemed ok during the day, but I've never walked at night along there, but I think (it's been awhile) that the Center is w/in 10 min walk from Times Square.

Gekko Jul 21st, 2003 01:34 PM

As far as I know, Javits is the only *huge* convention facility in Manhattan.

It's not in a good location -- far west side, 11th Ave, in the 30's -- so I wouldn't suggest that you stay close to it. Public transportation to & from the Javits is excellent, however.

I'd suggest you stay in the midtown east area. Does your convention suggest any hotels from which it will offer free transportation to Javits?

Fortunately, as you've probably heard, New York City is statistically the safest large city in the USA. Use common sense of course, but don't worry.

Enjoy NYC!

travellyn Jul 21st, 2003 01:46 PM

Thanks for your input so far. I'll check into the Midtown East area. There will be free transportation to some hotels, but there is no "official" hotel list yet. I try to book hotels on my own, because the meeting rate is invariably higher than AAA, Expedia, etc.

Anonymous Jul 21st, 2003 02:02 PM

Midtown West would, of couse, be closer. I can recommend the Comfort Inn MIDTOWN, on W46 between 6th and 7th, which is the only entirely nonsmoking hotel in Manhattan. Just a block from Times Square but on a quiet block full of interesting restaurants. It's part of the Apple Core group of hotels, all of which are recently refurbished, clean, and economical (for NY!).

mclaurie Jul 21st, 2003 02:15 PM

I agree staying near the Javits Center is not ideal-not necessarily because of safety. It's just not very convenient to anything else & the closest hotels are not very nice. Here's a website thta shows the distance of various hotels. http://www.newyorkconventioncenters....ar-javits.html

I would suggest staying on the west side (not the east) in the 40s or 50s so you're at least on the "right" side of town. The website quikbooks.com often has good rates.

The Belvedere, the Gorham & the Park Central are all well reviewed & reasonably priced.

GoTravel Jul 21st, 2003 03:06 PM

With such great public transportation, staying near the Javits Center would not be your best bet. I agree with the advice others have given you, stay in Midtown.

Gekko Jul 21st, 2003 03:37 PM

I admit I am a biased New Yorker -- I strongly prefer the east side of Midtown for visitors. It's nicer, cleaner, and more "New York" than the west side -- which is crowded dirty tourist hell in my opinion.

With that being said, there are dozens of hotels that would fit the bill -- try Quikbook, Expedia, etc.

Good luck!

travellyn Jul 21st, 2003 03:47 PM

Thanks again for replies. I once stayed at the convention center hotel in Chicago, and was close to the center, but nothing else. I would like some nice things to do near my hotel. Since a hotel within walking distance doesn't make sense, I have more options than I thought.

I've got the best shot at a convention shuttle if I stay in an area with a high concentration of moderate to upscale hotels, within about a 15 minute bus ride of the convention center. Given these parameters, is midtown still the best choice?

Gekko Jul 21st, 2003 04:29 PM

Yes, that's midtown. "Most" visitors stay in midtown.