Hilton "Best Rate Guarantee"- what a hassle

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hilton has a "Best Rate Guarantee" that states if you book on their website and then within 24 hours file a claim for a lower rate found elsewhere you will receive the lower rate. Plus, after your stay they will give you a $50 prepaid credit card as a bonus.
I found the room I wanted on Expedia for a rate that was $40 a night cheaper. I was booking 5 nights. I booked on the Hilton site and filed the claim. This was the exact same room with the exact cancellation requirements.The form said a response would come in 24 hours. The response said they couldn't find the rate.
The rate was still there so I emailed again. No response. The stay I was booking was for a busy event and I needed that particular room (sofa bed and kitchenette). So, I booked it on Expedia. Then I sent the customer rep a copy of my Expedia booking. No response. 48 hours later I cancelled the Hilton reservation and called them. Stayed on hold for 15 minutes and then another 15 minutes while she talked to a supervisor. They had no idea what to do.
Their response was "sometimes it takes us up to 72 hours to respond".

I was relating this story to a friend and he had a similar issue with Hilton. He found the rate on Expedia and waited for his response. He even sent a copy of the page (their form says you can do this). They denied the claim because they couldn't find the rate and then the rate was changed on Expedia to match the hotel website.

It seems to be just an advertising gimmick. I think most of the hotel websites have a similar guarantee. Has anyone had a problem with this or success? I just wanted my room at the lower rate. Got that, but with Expedia you have to pay up front.
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 07:08 PM

I had success once - I know it was Marriott but I don't remember the details.

And besides having to pay in advance, you didn't get the $50 credit card you were entitled to.
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 07:11 PM

http://boardingarea.com/blogs/loyalt...rantee-claims/
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 09:13 PM

McLaurie's post was very enlightening. Interesting how differently the major hotel players respond to these requests. I do think a lot of the offers in the travel industry are very hard to follow through on.

One suggestion for you in future: When sending a request like this, don't just tell them the rate is out there. Do a Screenshot of the page with the rate and put it into your email. Also include the URL so they can go verify it.

If you have never made a screenshot, it's easy. Hold down--all at the same time--the Control, the Alt and the Print Screen keys. Then open a word document or email program and type Control V (Paste).
Old Aug 20th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Original Poster

I did that in my follow-up email when it was first denied and never heard back from them. The claim is submitted on their online form so it could not originally be attached.

Mclaurie's post was enlightening. My reservation is not in a large city, so that was the only choice to get the sleeper sofa and kitchenette. I will remember my bad experience with them when I do have a choice!
Old Aug 21st, 2012, 10:53 PM

It sounds like they go to some length to avoid following up then!
I agree with you. We don't have a lot of voice, but I do vote with my pocketbook over and over.
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 02:54 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
I prefer to leave out middlemen if possible.

A few days ago I saw a flight that I wanted on Delta's site that was $21 per person less expensive on Travelocity.

I booked it on Delta (for two) ( they supposedly have a Best Fare Guarantee) and then planned to go thru the booking process on Travelocity stopping just before the final purchase and take a screen print.

I went to Travelocity, selected the flights in both directions and then a message came up that there had been a change in the airfare. It was now identical to what was on the Delta web site.

I wonder how this happens.
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 05:05 AM

My only experience with this has been with Hyatt about 5 years ago, so don't know whether or not they've tightened up their process.

At that time I had booked a refundable reservation and then found the same thing on expedia.com several weeks later. I called their reservation number and got the nicest rep who ended up matching the expedia price plus a 20% discount. It took a long time on the phone (maybe an hour) as she checked the expedia website and then had to speak to her supervisors, but it was certainly worth it in the end. As I said, I don't know whether this still applies, and I suspect that I lucked out in terms of dealing with a live person as opposed to doing it online, as well as getting a really pleasant and cooperative rep.
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 08:21 AM

One of my best discoveries was to call the hotel directly, then ask for in-house reservations( maybe similar to a concierge). They are quite helpful, especially if you are traveling for a personal event, reunion, birthday, annivversary).

I saved about $50 off a website price on a suite, and was given an upgrade on top of that, since three of us were sharing. When I called to make another reservation two years later, they had my details on file, and again offered me another great deal.
Of course, I gave them a great review on TA, and made mention of that.

I think the personal touch makes a huge difference, and got tired of comparing prices, ruining my eyes every night.
Old Aug 22nd, 2012, 08:24 AM

Yes, this does work too. Calling on a weekend evening can really get you a deal; the night crew is happy to have people call and score some reservations during their shift. We have gotten extra discounts this way during the past.
Old May 25th, 2014, 10:40 PM

Earlier this month, I needed to be in Bakersfield, CA and saw that Travelocity had a $24 plus cheaper rate on it's site than on Hilton.com for the Garden Inn. I have found lower rates on Starwood and Marriott's sites in the past 2 years and both responded within hours on my submission and confirmed my find. I am 100% satisfied with their process and with these companies and it is why I give them 80-90% of my business. They support their written promises with 100% backup! I followed the procedure as outlined on Hilton's site and submitted the online form. About 23 hours later, give or take a few minutes, I heard back from Hilton, granted they have up to 24 hours to respond. My claim was denied because Hilton could not find the rate indicated on Travelocity's 23 hours previously. It doesn't matter whether you have a screen shot of the site with day and time noted, Hilton will not honor it. Their escape clause for them to weasel out of their "best rate guarantee"? The offer is only validated at the time "they" or Hilton initiates the search. If that search is conducted 23 hours after yours was conducted and the rate doesn't exist then, then too bad, so sad for you the customer. If you search the blogosphere with "Hilton best rate guarantee", you will find page after page of dissatisfied travelers. Travelers be warned if you attempt to catch Hilton at this extremely deceptive business practice! After I responded to their initial denial, which I replied via email,Hilton responded with the details I mentioned above 9 DAYS LATER! A very sad turn to an iconic American Hotel brand: greed plays out over taking care of what's right with the customer.