NYC- Chinatown Restaurants

Jan 24th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

NYC- Chinatown Restaurants

We are going to NYC on Saturday and want to go to Chinatown for Dinner. When we were in LA in November, we went to Chinatown and we all loved it.
I am looking for restaurant suggestions in Chinatown
Thanks
Melissa
Jan 24th, 2007, 02:37 PM

I suggest NOT having dinner in Chinatown, which basically shuts down after dark and is a better lunch location.

If you want great Chinese, dim sum in particular, check out the "Chinese Balthazar" on Lafayette Street:

http://www.chinatownbrasserie.com/

For a big "Charlie Chan" atmosphere, Ruby Foo's is worth a look:

http://www.brguestrestaurants.com/re...town/index.php
Jan 25th, 2007, 03:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks
ANyone else have any suggestions?
Melissa
Jan 25th, 2007, 04:39 AM
mp

Both of gekko's suggestions, while good, are more upscale, 'loungey', big on drinks and atmosphere types of places; they're not really what I think of when I think of other big-city Chinatown restaurants like in LA, SF or Vancouver.

If you're looking for what some people think is a more 'authentic', perhaps not so sophisticated, funkier Chinatown experience, you might try Goodies at 1 East Broadway (the braised pork shoulder with greens is intense!) New Green Bo at 86 Bayard (soup dumplings) Peking Duck House (guess what dish?) at 28 Mott Street . . . you might also browse the chowhound boards - lots of chat about Chinatown there . .. many people feel the best Chinese food in NYC is now found in the Asian neighborhoods of Flushing, Queens, not in Manhattan.

If you're looking for a Dim Sum palace like in Vancouver or SF (unfortunately, I don't think anything in NYC can touch the quality of dim sum I've had in either) but I've always enjoyed Golden Unicorn (18 E. Broadway) and Oriental Garden (14 Elizabeth St.)
Jan 25th, 2007, 05:09 AM

I agree about chinatown but for a wonderful chinese meal Also look at Mr. Chow in the East 50's.
Jan 25th, 2007, 05:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks MP. That is more like We are looking for. More like what we had in LA.
Melissa
Jan 25th, 2007, 05:49 AM

While I agree with all of mp's suggestions (and I'd add New Eastern Villa on Mott), again, are you sure you wouldn't rather have lunch in New York's Chinatown instead of dinner?

It's not that the area is "unsafe" by any means, it's just deserted (a bit forlorn) and, in my opinion, not a particularly pleasant area in which to dine, given your many, many other options.

Jan 25th, 2007, 06:07 AM

I haven't been in Chinatown at night for a couple of years, but as I remember, it was far from deserted.

When did that happen?

Joe's Shanghai on Pell St. has great dumplings. They also have a location on W. 56th St.
Jan 25th, 2007, 06:15 AM
ellabella

I second New Green Bo. I loved it and had fun walking around Chinatown in the evening. I know there are tons of amazing choices in NY, but sometimes its nice not to get dressed up and spend a lot of money. =)

Jan 25th, 2007, 06:26 AM

I go to Chinatown frequently, a couple times a month, and I have never, ever, seen Chinatown desserted at night. While the jewelry stores are closed, the food markets are open, as is every restaurant. And, Chinatown is one area you are guaranteed to get a late meal. Many spots serve till well after midnight, and are crowded at that hour. It is also safe. Indeed, if you ask anyone trying to find a parking spot in Chinatown in the evening they would say the same thing; parking is permitted beginning at 7 p.m. and by 6:45, for sure, most every spot is taken with people waiting in their cars. That is why the garages can charge $20 for the first hour, minimum.

Chinatown at lunch is for dim sum, essentially. That is what it is great at. If you want that, which is fantastice, try Golden Unicorn on East Broadway, Triple 8 Palace, also on B'dway, Mandarin Court on Mott, HSF on the Bowery or Jing Fong on Elizabeth Street. On the weekend all will be packed for dim sum, much less so on a weekday. I would probably opt for Golden Unicorn.

For dinner, our favorite is Oriental Town Seafood, also on Elizabeth. Many reviews which, unfortunately, have brought ever larger crowds. Food is superb and way better than any we have had anywhere uptown - no comparison. There are numerous other great spots too. If you want an "experience" and great food head to Chinatown. Go uptown if you want fancy service and a pretty room. The Peking Duck suggestion is a good one. However, they opened a "prettier" branch on East 53d street, between second and third avenues a couple of years ago and it will save you a trip downtown if your heart is set on duck.

And, after your meal in Chinatown, walk over to the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory on Bayard Street - at the intersection of Elizabeth and Bayard, look for the flag outside, its a small place. Terrific ice cream and great fruit flavors. Well known.
Have fun.
Jan 25th, 2007, 06:39 AM

The original poster said she'll be in NYC on Saturday, which is January 27, cold & dark at 5pm.

At dinner time, 7-9pm, the area around Canal/Mott/Mulberry will be a virtual ghost town on Jan 27.

But to each her own!
Jan 25th, 2007, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

I have not been to NYC Chinatown in many years but we used to go quite often and never was it deserted at night.
Whne did this change happen?
Melissa
Jan 25th, 2007, 07:30 AM

Chinatown at night when restaurants are opened (we aren't talking two in the morning here) is not deserted or unsafe. There are some shops still open with people coming in and out of dinner even in January. It has a different energy than the rest of the city.

I don't know about some people but I would not really consider Mr. Chows or Ruby Foo's authentic Chinese food. I do agree that some of the best Asian food is available in the outer boroughs like Queens. I think a great balance between the two is Peking Duck House on Mott, which is popular with tourists but is a great way to experience duck. I second the soup dumplings at Joe's Shanghai, the ice cream factory as well as dimsum at Golden Unicorn.
Jan 25th, 2007, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks
Melissa
Jan 27th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the good suggestions.
We went to New Green Bo and the food was great.Afterwards, we went for ice cream, across the street.

We enjoyed the evening very much.

Melissa
Jan 27th, 2007, 09:34 PM

I am glad you enjoyed your meal!

Another GREAT place for Chinese is Chin Chin, located on 49th Street (I believe). Whenever I visit NYC I make it a point to visit them. I especially love their dumplings. It is not really in Chinatown, but if you are just after incredible Chinese cuisine they are wonderful.

I am just adding this as a future reference and for others who view this thread via search.