Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC car service (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-car-service-324850/)

jlkids Mar 17th, 2008 06:18 AM

NYC car service

Hi
Wondering if there is any preference among you for car service, whether it be Dial7 or Carmel?

Looking to use it from Murray Hill to LGA on Friday, need to be at airport 3:30pm.

Any suggestions at to what time we would need to leave neighborhood?

Thanks

J62 Mar 17th, 2008 07:05 AM

My own experience is that Dial7 and Carmel are good for trips originating within NYC area (either the airport or city area). They are not as good for trips originating in the far suburbs - these are areas they may not be as familiar with.

A more local NJ car service may be better. I would plan to leave around 1pm if you need to be at the airport by 3:30. No chance you can use Newark airport?

Gekko Mar 17th, 2008 08:27 AM

I prefer Dial 7. My wife had a bad experience with Carmel once, so we exclusively use Dial 7 now.

(And we think it's worth the extra $5 for a "deluxe" sedan. It may be our imagination, but the drivers seem to be more professional.)

www.dial7.com

nyer Mar 17th, 2008 11:01 AM

I find both to be about the same. I often start with Carmel out of habit, but sometimes use Dial 7 if Carmel doesn't have have the cheapest cars available.
I would leave an hour for the trip, more if it's summer or before a holiday weekend

J62,
jlkids is going from Murray Hill (manhattan) to LGA--where does NJ fit into this?

mclaurie Mar 17th, 2008 11:27 AM

Lately Carmel is getting more complaints. I'd go with Dial7.com

J62 Mar 17th, 2008 11:40 AM

When I read Murray Hill I think of Murray Hill, NJ, long time home of AT&T Bell Labs.

I did not pick up that it was from Manhattan.

jlkids Mar 17th, 2008 06:30 PM

Thanks for the replies so far!

We are leaving from Manhattan in the Murray Hill neighborhood on Good Friday.

As a note, I do have say that we are finding we are really enjoying staying at the Affinia Dumont, the rooms and service are outstanding!!

I will definitely write a trip report when we return.

Thanks again!

sonofNYC Mar 18th, 2008 08:48 AM

Definitely carmel. Also shuttle service from airlinknyc is good too

Lmaev Mar 18th, 2008 09:07 AM

I vote for Carmel. I have had a number of trips booked with Dial 7 and the don't show up.

Pat_in_Mich Mar 18th, 2008 09:50 AM

We used Carmel last summer and they didn't show up for the return trip. After several phone calls they eventually told me that I should take a taxi!

Gekko Mar 18th, 2008 09:58 AM

I use Dial 7 several times EVERY MONTH and I've never experienced a no-show.

(For the record, Carmel has never not shown up either.)

williamscb13 Mar 18th, 2008 10:02 AM

I had a bad experience with both Carmel and Dial 7 recently. Granted it was during a big snow storm, but my flight was stil flying. I took a taxi and we managed to make it to the airport just fine albeit crawling at a few points along the way.

As a result of this, I have gone back to taxis except when i know it is changeover time.

Gekko Mar 18th, 2008 10:55 AM

<i>From</i> LGA and JFK to Manhattan, I generally use a taxi, the exception being if I land at rush hour or during the holiday peak travel time.

TO LGA &amp; JFK (and from EWR), I use Dial 7.

www.dial7.com