Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > NYC-Caged Birds at Sara Delano Roosevelt Park and Fulton Fish Market

NYC-Caged Birds at Sara Delano Roosevelt Park and Fulton Fish Market

Jul 4th, 2001, 06:23 PM
x

NYC-Caged Birds at Sara Delano Roosevelt Park and Fulton Fish Market

Hi. Thanks to all the New Yorkers(and others) who are so kind in responding to these posts. I will be in New York for the first time in July and along with seeing all the traditional sights I like to get out and walk and see something different. I am interested in the birds and the fish market. Has anyone heard of or seen the caged birds in Sara Delano Roosevelt Park? Apparently a group of older Chinese men gather each morning to give sun to their songbirds. Does anyone know if they are there every morning and/or at what time they gather? Thanks for any help. Also, visited the Tsukiji Fish Market when I was in Tokyo and it was fascinating, so am wondering about the Fulton Street Fish Market. Is it anything worth seeing? I've read elsewhere that it is maybe not the best idea to be wandering around in this area during the off hours. How early would it be safe to go there on a weekday morning and if I'm staying mid-town what would be the best way to get there? Again, any info would be appreciated. Finally, as one last question, I would also be interested in any information about the Flower District on 28th. Are the distributors and buyers there everyday or only weekdays? From what time are they there? Thank you so much for your help.

Jul 5th, 2001, 02:34 AM
Anthony

As a native New Yorker, Let me comment on some of your questions.
I commend your interest on some of the more unique sights of NYC, but unfortunately there's really not much to some of the things you mention.

With regard to the Fulton Fish market, unlike the Pike Street Market, the Fulton Market operate EARLY, like 5 am, it's smelly and NOT something you want to be at , especially on a hot, summer day. The Fulton market is strictly commerical, and no fish-throwing shows goes on for the tourists.
Again, the flower district, which runs on 6th Ave. between about 25th to 32nd st, is nothing to look at. In fact, thereis talks about relocating all the vendors to another area. There are now huge apt. buildings are are built in the area.
Although I am Chinese, I don't know about the songbirds, although I would probably guess again that it's not worth your while.

One thing I would highly recommend, though, is the Greenmarket @ Union Square. The biggest day is Sat mornings, but it does operate on weds and 1 other day during the week. The Greenmarket @ Union Square is the closest thing the US has to a European flower and food market. Farmers and growers from all over NY, NJ & PA come together at the market. It draws a big crowd, but rightly so. It is a wondeful thing to browse, one of the great, NON-tourist sights of NYC.
I would also highly recommend a wonderful afternoon strolling the Battery Park City Promenade. Located behind the World TRade Center, the collection of office buildings,apts, shops, parks, and playgrounds are actually built on the landfill from the World TRade Center constuction. The best way to walk is to start at the northernest end, which is the newest section; I thing that section is called Robert Wagner Park. Then you can stroll south along the waterfront promenade, enjoying the wonderfulparks and gardens, not to mention the views of NJ, Ellis Island, and the Statue of Liberty. The are restaurants and shops in the world financial center, which also boasts a huge, glass enclosed atrium with palm trees. You cancontinue past the WFC and come to the Holocaust Memeorial, and end up at Battery Park. Again, one of Manhattan's truely great NEW spaces, The Promendade @ Battery Park City.

Jul 5th, 2001, 02:43 AM
rqf

I have no information on the "caged birds". I have been to the Fulton Fish market a few times over the years to make a purchase. I usually went around 7am and the place was still fairly active.
I never thought of it, however, as a visit for sightseeing. It is right next to the South Street Seaport and to get there from the east side take a number 4 or 5 train, from the west side a #2 or #3 train to Fulton/Broadway Nassau street station. The Flower district, I know, is in full operation Monday through Saturday for sure. Don't know about Sunday. MOst of the stores, at least those selling plants, are open all day long.

Jul 5th, 2001, 05:37 AM
Caitlin

The wholesale selling in the flower district happens in the early morning, and it's not a centralized market, just a bunch of shops. The Union Square Greenmarket is worth a look; it's on Mon, Weds, Fri, and Sat, with the most vendors on Weds and Sat, the most crowds on Sat, and the best selection before noon. Lunch at City Bakery, on 18th just west of 5th Ave, is a good combo with the farmers' market.

Search this Thread