Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC - Business Traveler (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-business-traveler-411749/)

tusion Mar 16th, 2004 12:54 PM

NYC - Business Traveler

Any late evening suggestions for someone up in NYC on business for a week? Most likely working until 6:30 so I'm not sure what museums are still open - I'd like to avoid the bar scene as I have several early morning meetings. Also, any suggestions on restaurants (all types, though I'd like to keep entrees under $40) where one can dine alone with out sticking out like a sore thumb would be appreciated. Lastly, does TKTS take credit cards or are they cash only?

I live in Shaw, DC (for those familiar), so I feel comfortable traveling to all parts of the city.

lisettemac Mar 16th, 2004 01:00 PM

I know the Metropolitan and the Guggenheim are both open late on Fridays, but probably not on other nights. I believe they are open until 8:45.

TKTS only takes cash or travelers' checks.

As for restaurants, where are you staying?

tusion Mar 16th, 2004 01:08 PM

Staying at the Marquis (ughh) in Midtown.

Sunnyboy Mar 16th, 2004 02:08 PM

Try Tout Va Bien (west 55th between 8th & 9th Street) for a great french meal at resonable prices. The mussels are fantastics.

mclaurie Mar 16th, 2004 03:03 PM

The museums are mostly open late on Fri & Sat nites so that doesn't do you much good. But being in the theater district certainly is great. Yes TKTS only takes cash but go to any theater box office & they take credit cards & often have great single seats at the last minute (yes usually at reg price though)

Dining alone-frankly any place that's not a romantic/date place should be fine. Sushi bars, many rest. bars also serve food-Joe Allen's on 46th betw 8th & 9th (restaurant row),Sams on w. 45th is similar food to Joe Allen & good. Many of the area rest. get quiet at show time 8-10. There are tons of previous threads here with ideas. Search NYC restaurants AND theater.

Trattoria Dell'Arte 10 blocks north of you on 7th & 56th (near Carnegie Hall)is a fun Italian for a change of neighbrohood but within walking. They have great antipasto dishes & pizza as well as regular entrees. They have an antipasti bar in the front. In the same area is the Redeye Grill-also with a big bar where you can eat.

Le Colonial is French/Vietnamese on the east side 57th betw Lex & Park. They have an upstairs bar that also serves food & a dining room downstairs.

I've said it before-Tout is NOT bien at Tout Va Bien. There are so many better places.

Patrick Mar 16th, 2004 03:14 PM

Near the Marquis -- you might also eat in the bar at Angus MacIndoe's (right next to The Producers on 44th. Lot's of singles do. You might stop off for a cocktail and some great cheese spread at the upstairs bar at Sardi's, very friendly bartenders.

Take a stroll along 9th Avenue between 42nd and about 49th for lots of small, popular sort of neighborhood restaurants where you won't feel out of place along.

tusion Mar 16th, 2004 04:07 PM

Great info. Thanks to everyone who replied. I'll try and hit up as many of the restaurants mentioned as possible and report back.