Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   NYC Bus to LGA? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/nyc-bus-to-lga-553139/)

pdf Aug 20th, 2005 06:10 PM

NYC Bus to LGA?

I have a daughter going to school on UWS . . . when she needs to get to LGA, is there an option of bus transportation . . . and if so, how is it as far as time, stops, etc. She will be traveling alone, so no one to share cab fare with - but if the bus situation is bad, mama will gladly pay the cabbie! TIA :)

HowardR Aug 20th, 2005 06:16 PM

She can catch a bus across the street from Grand Central Terminal on Park Avenue at 42nd Street. It's no hassle.

nytraveler Aug 20th, 2005 06:25 PM

There are shuttle buses to LGA - from central points (Port Authority, Grand Central etc) for about $12 or from your hotel/residence for about $17. (The latter can take forever since they pick up people from several different places on the way to the airport.)

If you're talking about city buses - there are several options - depending on exactly where sh'es comng from - but all take at least 2 buses or bus and subway and are quite onerous (impractical with more than a carry-on) and time-consuming.

You can get details at : http://www.panynj.gov/aviation/lgapubtransframe.htm

FYI - the husband of a friend of mine took this option one day (don;t even ask why) and she and the children ended up having to fly to Florida without him - even though he left himself 2 1/2 hours to get to the airport. (She thought it better for him to try to rearrange his own ticket - since it was his idiot idea - than to try to rearrange 5 tickets over the holidays.)

rqf Aug 21st, 2005 02:29 AM

There are two options for using public transportation to get to LGA from Manhattan. One is a subway/bus combination which is desirable if you are leaving from midtown. The other is a bus that goes directly to LGA that begins its run at W. 106th Street and Broadway. Since you indicate a starting point as the Upper West SIde this might be the better option if she is anywhere near 106th St. I have used both options where the starting point was W. 96th. Using either option, the trip took about one hour. The cost - $2.

pdf Aug 21st, 2005 06:49 AM

Thanks all for the very helpful info . . . I knew I'd get the inside scoop here! The last time we were there, in June, we had to change hotels mid-trip (the first few nights were a prize package I had won, the next few nights were at my previous reservation). Hubby thought it would be a good idea to make the change via subway . . . a family of 5, each with a suitcase and carryon! After we watched another family try to make the same move, with the wife practically run over by her huge suitcase rolling down the steps behind her . . . I told him to have fun; we'll meet you at the second hotel that we'll take two taxi's to. (He did ride with us afterall :) )

I could see the bus being 'do-able' with luggage . . . but no way the subways!

Gekko Aug 21st, 2005 09:36 AM

I'll agree with rqf. For $2, your daughter can take the M60 bus from the Upper West Side to LGA.

The M60 starts at 106th and Broadway, runs north to 120th Street, east to Amsterdam and then across Manhattan on 125th Street before crossing the Triborough Bridge for LGA.

All of these subway lines stop at 125th Street: A, B, C, D, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. She can transfer to the M60 for free!

HowardR Aug 21st, 2005 02:54 PM

IF your daughter has a bit of luggage, I say, forget the bus/subway route! The saving of, say, $10, really isn't worth the effort involved.

rqf Aug 21st, 2005 03:58 PM

The M60 bus fare is $2. If you are talking of a $10 saving you must be referring to the airport bus. If so you have to factor in the cost of getting from the Upper West Side to the bus terminal at 42nd St. If you are talking taxi or car service cost would be between $25 and $30

regulator Aug 21st, 2005 06:43 PM

With Manhattan to Queens traffic I would take the Subway to 74th Street & Roosevelt Avenue and take the Q24 to LGA. From midtown this would be 45 minutes up or down. Remember the express 7 subway takes 20 minutes from Grand Central to 74th street.

TarheelsInNj Aug 24th, 2005 09:52 AM

Hello! The very best option would be to find a friend at school and split a cab to the airport! :)

I have had very good luck with the New York Airport Express bus, which you can pick up at Port Authority or Grand Central. It's $12 one way and $20 round-trip. If it's not rush hour, you can get there in 30-45 minutes. They run regularly, about every half hour or so.
http://www.nyairportservice.com/

I would strongly encourage this option, especially over the city bus- the city bus takes forever. It is worth the extra $10 for the speed.

rb_travelerxATyahoo Aug 24th, 2005 02:09 PM

I've taken the M60 bus from 106th/Broadway several times (staying at the HI Hostel) with no problem, except the time it takes. I've also taken the NYAirportService bus when I'm already in midtown, and it's worthwhile (and cheaper yet if you buy r/t tickets)

But really, "pdf" time to stop being a newvous mama (yes, easier said than done) as if your daughter is going to school in NYC, she's going to be doing a LOT of solo travel and travel to new, unchartered neighborhoods, and will find nothing unusually terrifying about a trip to the airport compared to all the other trips I'm sure she'll be making. NYC is really not the horrible place movies and tv shows make it to be.

asalamy Aug 24th, 2005 03:17 PM

The M60 is a piece of cake - even with luggage. If your daughter is on the UWS she would be getting on the bus early in the route with plenty of space to sit down and drop her bag(s). The driver or other passengers are usually very helpful about making sure you get off at the right terminal, etc.

The caveat is to make sure you either have a valid MetroCard or $2 in change - $1 bills won't do the trick. (and bring a book!)

Gekko Aug 24th, 2005 04:30 PM

Let's be clear . . . if the origination point is the UWS, taking a bus or shuttle from the Port Authority or Grand Central makes ZERO sense.

M60 bus or a cab.

pdf Aug 25th, 2005 05:16 AM

Thanks again all - I think the M60 or cab makes the most sense; she can decide.

rb - no "nervous mama" here . . . just looking for the most economical, logistical, physically manageable route . . .