NYC and..Martha's Vineyard?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone. Thinking about a return visit to New York this summer for a few days, but wanted to combine it with something different..I was wondering what your thoughts all are on grabbing a train to Boston and then making our way to Martha's Vineyard for a few days before flying out of Boston.

First of all, is this practical?

Second, is MV something we would like? Yes, I know..you don't know me. We have travelled to various places in Europe and enjoy staying in smallish places where we can relax and maybe drive around (of course we also like our big cities too..hence our trip to NYC!) Being close to the water is a plus...that's why I was wondering about the vineyard? To be honest, I have checked out the MV websites and what I see doesn't match what I have read...I guess I am wondering if it is a unique enough destination? (e.g we have enjoyed driving around various small towns in California around the Coast and wine regions there..would we enjoy this similarly?)

Complicated question I know..just trying to think about summer plans while we have those air miles to use!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

cheers,
CC
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:30 AM

Being in NYC doesn't seem like it makes it particularly logistical to go to MV at the same time. I'm not saying it can't be done, but that they don't generally go hand in hand. Have you considered areas of Long Island or the Jersey Shore?
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:48 AM

"Practical" depends on you and how much time you have. What do you mean by "make our way to Martha's Vineyard? Are you thinking of driving from Boston (and taking a ferrry)???If you're coming from Canada, it would seem more practical to me to fly to Boston first, and fly from there to the Vineyard. Then fly direct to NY.

I love Nantucket and know you can fly from LGA to Nantucket although it's expensive in high season. You'll find lots of previous posts debating the pros and cons of Nantucket vs the Vineyard.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 10:55 AM

You could also make your way from Boston to Cape Cod where you could: drive around to small towns, vineyards, and lots of other sites and on one of your days take a ferry to MV to check it out.

Old Dec 1st, 2004, 11:00 AM

You plan really isn't practical, since it takes the better part of a day to get from Boston to MV. IMHO, you'd be happier touring the handier areas suggested above, or perhaps Newport, RI. Or look into flying directly from NYC to MV.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 11:02 AM

Also, MV was named centuries ago and I believe that now there's just one vineyard on the island, so it's not a particularly vineyard-y destination.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 11:07 AM

It didn't occur to me you might be looking for an actual vineyard. If that's the case, you'd be better off renting a car in NY and driving to the eastern end of Long Island. There are 3 vineyards on the south fork (the Hamptons) and many more on the North Fork.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your replies so far...
I guess I had thought we would be able to catch a ferry from Boston area to MV...I am now assuming that's incorrect?
And no...not looking for actual vineyards on MV..just a nice area to stay for a few summer days...but thanks for the winery selections for NY!
I will look forward to hearing more of your thoughts as the day goes on!
cheers,
CC
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 12:47 PM
Original Poster

Any more thoughts anyone?
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 01:00 PM

Capt, you need to get out a map. The entire peninsula of Cape Cod lies between Boston and the islands of MV and Nantucket. You can get a ferry to MV from various places on the south coast, including Cape Cod and New Bedford.

http://www.mvy.com/gettinghere/ferryschedules.html

Or you could ferry from Boston to Provincetown.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 01:44 PM

You can fly from NYC to MV.

There's also a bus from NYC to Woods Hole, Massachusetts, with a break in Providence, Rhode Island. The bus stops right at the dock where you can get a few different ferries to MV. The bus ride is long and boring (4-5 hours?), although they do show a movie to pass the time. The ferry another 30 minutes.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 02:08 PM

First, whatever you do, book either ferries or commuter flights now -- they fill up fast.

Second, MV vs. Nantucket vs. Cape Cod. There's more to Cape Cod just in terms of sq. miles than either island, thus there are more things to see esp. if you get out to Orleans and beyond. These are towns that are both oriented to tourism AND have a working year-round community. Some are quaint without being too precious, while some people find the islands too precious and ridiculously expensive. MV is larger, allows cars, has about 4 identifiable towns pluse smaller communities, a celebrity population that inflicts the occasional stretch limo on you, and very chic restaurants along with the ice cream parlors. It might put you in mind of the Carmel/Monterey scene with a New England accent -- over-priced, chic, borderline touristy.

Nantucket -- which is smaller, takes the longest to get to and doesn't allow cars as a rule -- is therefore less developed, less pricey, more atmospheric but best enjoyed by those who prefer atmosphere to luxurious amenities (which doesn't, however, mean it's cheap).

There are NY'rs who go to the Islands for a weekend but they don't go via Boston. If they don't fly on the commuters, they drive via Conn. and RI. You could maybe train it to Providence and then rent a car?

Some people are suggesting Long Island -- the Hamptons are lovely but staggeringly expensive and a little less historic, so to speak, than the New England areas.

What about Newport? It's easier to get to and is perfect for a quick 2-day walk/drive-about. The town is interesting, the coast lovely, and the mansions fascinating. Had some very good Italian food there, too.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 11:50 PM

Message: I would consider driving over to Wood's Hole, taking the ferry to Martha's and staying in Vineyard Haven or Edgartown.

Dining, shopping, scootering, reading a novel, etc. cannot be beaten. Each township has a slightly different feel for a good dose of variety - and you're sure to please the wide range of ages in attendance. There's also Tisbury, West Tisbury, Gay Head, Oak Bluffs, one more(?).

Fishing the waters near Noman's Isle... watching the Navy jets and their bomb practice there.

Get yourself a few CoffeemugTshirtLawnchairBaseballcaps with a black lab on it. Makes for great Hannukah/Kwanza/Christmas/Festivus gifts.

That whole "Kennedy compound" and "The first Jaws movie was filmed here" thing are such empty promises. Pass on those bits of trivia.

Stop in to the Chappaquiddick Driving School and get a Kennedy autographed martini glass.
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:16 AM

So based on your last input of just wanting "a nice area to stay for a few summer days" IMO Martha's Vineyard or really any of the options closer to Boston don't make a lot of sense when there are so many places closer to NY that would provide that--- from the Jersey Shore to the Hamptons on Long Island.

And I must respectfully disagree with soccr's assessment of the Hamptons as "lovely but staggeringly expensive and a little less historic, so to speak, than the New England areas." The Hamptons will wind up costing about the same as a nice place further north when you factor in the total travel expenses. And Sag Harbor, Southampton and East Hampton are every inch as historic as the Cape Cod area and/or the islands.

Getting to the Hamptons, you can either rent a car (drive from the city and then return to the airport on your way home) OR take the Long Island RR OR the Hamptonjitney.com You will have a better time IMO WITH a car once you arrive. You have some of the best beaches in the world at your disposal not to mention the previously mentioned vineyards (both north & south fork). The only thing that's not as plentiful in the Hamptons is accomodation. But if you plan and book now, you should be fine.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 04:40 AM

Martha's Vineyard is doable from NYC. Take Amtrak to Kingston, RI (3 hours) and then cab it to the high speed ferry in Quonset for a 90 minute fast trip to the Vineyard. You could also consider Newport, RI (www.castlehillinn.com)- lots of great beaches. Another easy spot would be Block Island or Westerly, Watch Hill, RI(www.Shelterharborinn.com) - more great beaches and not as crazy as Newport or the Cape.You can reach these places by train/ferry easily.I guess that you could also stay in any of these spots and visit MV for the day.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 05:02 AM

CC,
How do you feel about bike riding?
We've gone to Cape-Cod, MV, Nantucket, and Block Island for the past 2 years. (Twice a year each---May & September)We enjoyed all four....with & without our kids (13 & 10). For the 3 islands we just walked onto the ferries with our bikes w/ very little luggage.
Nantucket has the best bike paths and it is quite easy to find quiet/secluded beaches. Just a thought...
If having a car is essential, then just stick with The Cape. We drove up end of last August and found places to stay and lots to do----including biking along their old---paved---rail lines.
Beautiful beaches, brisk water, and bowls of hot clam chowder made it a great family vacation. There's even a drive in movie theater all the way out on the Cape for something a bit different...
Regards,
Pete
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 12:23 AM

soccr has a number of things that are incorrect.

There are no stretch limos on Martha's Vineyard. It is in general a much more laid back, less wealthy island than Nantucket (though still wealthy). Cars are allowed on Nantucket. Nantucket is more developed (as a percentage of land area) and pricier than the vineyard.

That said, either island is much less developed than the cape, and much more "quaint" (both for good or ill). I think the islands would be a better choice than the cape, but if you were to choose the cape would go for the outer cape.
Old Dec 21st, 2004, 05:57 AM

My impression of the differences between MV and Nantucket may be a bit dated or it may be a matter of emphasis -- I agree Nantucket's residents may indeed be even more upscale than some on MV, but they are the very ones to limit the flavor of tourism. I clearly misspoke about cars, but there is an active effort to limit the number of autos on the island, and a strong encouragement to use alternative means. But I was in the path of a stretch limo on MV 2 years ago when it pulled into a restaurant. I'm very partisan in favor of the Cape, in any case, feel it offers a wider range of experience and activities for much less hassle.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 03:19 PM

A year ago, at Easter, we fly to New York City for three days, and then took the Bonanza Bus line out of Port Authority up to Woods Hole, caught the ferry and spent three nights on Martha's Vineyard. One day we flew to Nantucket for the day (ferry wasn't running that early in the season). We enjoyed the contrast between NYC life and the laidback MV stay. We didn't bother renting a car from NY--the bus was fine.
Old Jan 21st, 2005, 09:41 PM

soccr - I grant there may well have been a stretch limo on Martha's Vineyard that you saw, but I've spent a great deal of time there over the past 8 years, and have yet to see it. It may have come over for the day. (It's a small enough island that a car like that would stand out.

And I notice I didn't answer one of the questions CaptCanuck asked - yes, from your description of what you like, you'd like the vineyard or nantucket. The only place in the hamptons I think that compares is Sag Harbor, and I'd take one of the 2 islands over it any day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -