NYC & DC with family of 6

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2012, 12:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're headed to the Big Apple with 4 kids in tow (ages 11, 9, 7 & 6). I'm trying to figure out the best way to plan for the tourist type stuff. I see a lot of walking is suggested but with the little kids I don't know how feasible that will be.

Has anyone gone on the topless buses and liked it? Are you really just sitting there in one place sucking up exhaust for the majority of the time?

Also, what area is best to stay in? I've considered doing a vrbo, but wonder if moving to different hotels in different parts of the city would be better.

Also, my kids are dying to go up the Empire State Building. I've so much negative stuff regarding the lines. Is there a "best time" or "best day" to do it?

As for Staten Island, Ellis Island, etc., what do you suggest? I know the kids want to see the Statue but is it worth going to Ellis Island or just "see" it. Also, any info about the Twin Towers Memorial?

Thanks, any and all suggestions appreciated.
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 01:42 PM

I'll get a few basics out of the way and let others fill in the rest.
Forget VRBO. Most rentals of under 30 days are illegal in NYC. You may even get caught in a scam where you pay for something that doesn't even exist.

With 6 people (the kids count) you would need at least 2 hotel rooms, Some hotel suites might be big enough, but many won't allow more than 4 people due to fire code and other laws.

You don't need to switch locations in the city. The attractions to see are spread out a little, but most are within a 20 minute subway ride of any place you'd want to stay.

More comments will come faster than you can imagine, but it would also help for you to tell us when you are coming, for how long, what your budget is and what other places you want to see

Hop On Hop off buses will get expensive for the group. SOme hate them, some like them. They are not good as transportation but may work for some if you consider it a tour to get your bearings
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 03:28 PM

It sounds to me that a suite at the Beacon (upper West Side) might work for you. I've never stayed there but others on here have and I think it would fit your family. Plus, it's not such a frenetic neighborhood as others, which would be better, too. The Upper West Side is primarily residential (although the Beacon is on a "commercial" street) and very family friendly. I'd definitely agree that you should park yourself in one place, unpack and have a "home away from home". The Beacon is very close to Central Park and several fabulous markets (Fairway and Zabar's).
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 04:31 PM

With 6 people you will have to get either 2 rooms or a suite. The Beacon has the latter at reasonable prices but may be sold out - you don;t say whenyou are coing. The area is perfect for kids since it;s near Central park, the Museum of Natural History and the Met (yes both have a tone of stuff for kids) plus a plethora for inexpensive/moderate family friendly restaurants (which can be difficult to find in some areas - esp midtown).

Another good deal for a sujite is the Eastgate Towers. Location not so convenient but a lot of room for the budget.

Do NOT do the HoHo buses. they are very expensive and you will spend a lot of time sitting n the hot sun (you can;t see from inside) in traffic; And they run only every 30 minutes (if there;s room on the one that pulls in) versus every 5 minutes or so for city bus and subway.

There is no need to move around - its; a waste of time. the subway can get you anywhere fairly quickly and inexpensively. I would do Top of the Rock vs ESB to avoid long waits. You can see the SoL from a distance on the free Staten Island ferry or from closer up on the Circle line harbor cruise. Ellis Island is brilliant but you must get ferry tickets in advance rom the national park service - and allow at least 4 to 5 hours for the visit - including the various ferries to and fro,

If you provide dates and budget and how you're getting here (will you have a car to garage?) people can make specific recos.
Old Jun 14th, 2012, 05:21 PM

Hi Stephanie,

I've been to NYC with kids several times. Here's a few suggestions:

1. Don't waste your money on the tour buses, they are crowded and sit around in traffic most of the day. You can see lots of stuff near Central Park and Broadway on foot (even with a 6 year old). Anywhere else you need to go, hop on the subway. Just a note: Times Square can get pretty crowded, just keep a good grip on the little ones

2. If you are going to do Empire, go on a weekday and get there as early as you can, expecting to wait. You can buy your tickets ahead of time online.

3. The Statue of Liberty has a complicated security process since 9/11 and you can only go up to the first level, which isn't really seeing much. If time is an issue, I'd just take the ferry to the island, take your pictures of the NYC skyline and then go back.

4. Definitely take your kids out at least one night to see Times Square lit up - it's just cool
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 03:24 AM

Sorry - SoL is closed for renovations until late this year - you can't go in at all. Much better to see form a regular ferry or boat trip - unless you are taking the ferry to Ellis Island anyway.
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 05:28 AM

1) HOHO bus? No, no , NO.

2)There is no one "best area". Any place that can hold your entire family and is convenient to sightseeing/subway is the "best" for you. Take a look at these:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev..._New_York.html

3) ESB: See vivid01's advice above.

4) S of L: Just "see it". Your kids will love taking the Staten Island Ferry and enjoying the close up views of the Statue and of the Manhattan skyline. This also takes MUCH less time out of your day than actually going to the island. Plus it's free.

5) Have not gone to the 911 memorial - here's info:
http://www.911memorial.org/ You might consider it as part of a day exploring Lower Manhattan (South St. Seaport, Brooklyn Bridge walk, Battery Park, Staten Island Ferry).
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 05:50 AM

When you are exploring Lower Manhattan, know that the Museum of the American Indian is pretty cool and it is FREE
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 06:20 AM

Add my vote to those suggesting riding on the Staten Island Ferry to see the Statue of Liberty. It's free, and you go close enough to get great views and pictures.

Also, I haven't been up the Empire State Building, but we went up the Top of the Rock, and it had only a short line and then great views all around, including a view OF the Empire State Building. I'd recommend it.

Definitely go to Times Square. Go to Central Park. Go to the Apple Store (unless you have one where you live and are in it all the time), FAO Schwartz, etc.

Walking the Brooklyn Bridge is AMAZING. My kids were 11 or 12 when we did it. Also, don't be afraid of the subways. Use them.
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 07:06 AM

hi kansasmom: which side of the Brooklyn Bridge did you walk from?
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 08:56 AM

Id recommend the Central Park Zoo when you are in the Park. Also, take a look at the Natural History Museum - you could spend days in there..,The Intrepid Aircraft Carrier is a great museum and right near where you pick up the Circle Line Cruises.

Add me to those for the TOTR. Great view and a great shot of the ESB which is what is iconic of the building anyways
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

You are all so awesome! I am arriving July 6th in the morning and staying for a full week. So far only thing planned is a Broadway show on Sunday.

I'm thinking maybe of spending 1 night in a hotel in Time Square (that is close to the theaters right?) That way maybe we could walk back and the kids could see it all lit up?
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 11:48 AM

With that many people, I can't imagine packing up all the luggage and people to move hotels just to see some neon and video screens. You can go to Times Square without staying there. It's literally in the middle of everything and practically every subway line goes through it.
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Also, what is the best way to get from JFK to Times Square?
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 12:43 PM

I think the answer to this ^^^^ question is always a cab. There are minivan cabs, and if I did the math correctly, you should all fit in one. Just wait for one to come up in the queue, or perhaps the dispatcher at the airport can call one for you.

Like Mike says, there is no need to move hotels just to be near TS. My DD and I were in New York for a week and we didn't even want to take the time to move rooms in our hotel to get to a higher floor than the one they had for us when we checked in. And with four kids? Pick a place and move in!
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 01:16 PM

Hi Stephanie - we went with our two boys aged 10 and 13 last summer, and we are going again this summer by popular demand. We actually arrive July 6th as well

Last summer we took a private tour with Real New York tours who tailored the tour to exactly what we wanted to see and at the pace we wanted and included lots of kid friendly stops because that is what we wanted to include. It was a walking tour but we took the subway to all the places along route so it was a really good way to become comfortable with getting around.

My kids loved Times Square at night, but you don't have to stay there - the only thing for chosing your location would be knowing that you are close to a subway. We stayed in Chelsea last time and had two different subway lines within a 5 minute walk. We don't live in a city, so the subway was an attraction itself for the kids. This time we are staying just over the river in Queen's, but again close to a subway.

We went up both TOTR and ESB. ESB we went to after a Broadway show and the lines were long... and deceptively long where we thought we were in the last line... and then there was another one... and then there was another one. Once we got up it was crowded - the views were good - but sometimes views don't really give you more than views you have seen in movies etc. So we didn't stay long, and it was definitely not the hightlight of our trip...
That said, even though it was maybe not our favourite experience at the time, both kids (and I must admit us adults as well) really enjoy knowing we have been up it - being able to say 'hey I've been up that building' when you see it on TV.
So if it makes any sense... it wasn't worth doing, but is worth having done!

Second the votes for Natural History Museum, Intrepid Museum and Central Park. But the Broadway shows were the favourite thing of both the boys (who are not specifically 'theatre buffs')

have fun!
Old Jun 15th, 2012, 04:03 PM

There is absolutely no reason to stay in Times Square to see it. (And it only takes about 30 minutes- it;s just a lot of lights - and sidewalks so mobbed you may be walking n the street.)

With little kids TS (especially those not used to busy cities) can be overwhelming - so I would avoid staying there if at all possible.
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Arriving around 10 am at JFK, after a red-eye from CA. We won't have a lot of baggage (we are trying this thing my husband found http://zenhabits.net/kids-ultralight/ which teaches kids to pack ultra-light in prep for traveling to Europe one day) and the hotel probably won't be ready until 4:00.

Suggestions for what to do first (please let me know if there would be a food spot nearby that you would suggest too).
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 10:22 AM

You go first to your hotel (where did you decide to stay) and drop the luggage. They will hold it until the room is ready and you can;t trek around NYC hauling your luggage with you.

Also need to know that for food recos. As well as your dining budget and what cuisines you like and don't. The city has a host of inexpensive ethnic places - many of which have special lunch deals.
Old Jun 16th, 2012, 04:41 PM

You'll need to call the Beacon Hotel directly if you want to reserve the 2 bedroom/2 bath suite. They don't book that room online.

There is a Shake Shack outpost not far from the Beacon and close to the Natural History Museum. There's also a family restaurant adjacent to The Beacon. The Beacon is not a budget traveler's choice in my opinion but it's good value for the money. What is your budget?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -