Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

NYC: Affinia 50 or Comfort Inn with breakfast?

Old Mar 25th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same rate, taxes included, for 7 nights in Affinia 50 or Comfort Inn Midtown, with continental breakfast 2. I know Affinia is better, but the other includes breakfast. It´ll be me and my 18 ys old son. What would you choose?
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 11:12 AM

When my husband and I were in NYC last fall, we found that we didn't spend much time in the room at all. And when we did, we were so tired that we didn't pay any attention to our surroundings...as long as its clean, I would go for breakfast over a "nicer" room.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 11:14 AM

The Affina 50 is on East 50th Street. The Comfort Inn Midtown is on West 46 Street -- near trains; in theater district; Times Square; etc. AND it has breakfast. Never stayed at either. Have you check tripadvisor.com?
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 11:23 AM

You don't say what size room at the Affinia 50 and that would make a difference to me (but maybe not to you). Most of their rooms are suites with kitchens (either studio or 1 bedroom) so a fridge could come in handy with a hungry teen. Nice to have some extra space on a week's trip. It's also right across from Ess-A-Bagel, one of my favorite breakfast places. I prefer having breakfast at a different place every day, so all in all, I'd go for that.

But I think an 18 yr old would prefer the proximity to Times Square of the Comfort Inn. The breakfast at the Comfort Inn is served in a small basement room and is ok but might get boring. Free is free though.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

The reviews on trip advisor for Comfort Inn are very good. Still undecided.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 09:44 PM

We stayed at the Affinia 50 a few years ago - excellent, excellent hotel. The concierge can arrange for groceries to be put in your fridge in your room for breakfast - if we are able to return we will definitely do this. The cost for the service isn't on their website but it would be worth it. Breakfast at a nearby coffee shop was at least $40 for the 3 of us (and we don't really like a big breakfast anyway).

The Comfort Inns I've stayed in don't even compare to the Affinia 50. If you are getting a rate comparable to a Comfort Inn at the Affinia 50, I would absolutely stay there. You're only a few blocks' walk from Rockefeller Center and other areas, and the midtown (50th & 3rd) area is very safe. There's a great wine store on 1st (I think) and 50th, and Smith & Wallensky's for steak is diagonal across the street. I think the Cupcake Cafe is very close too.

My recent experiences with continental "breakfasts" at chain hotels have been extremely disappointing - either mediocre food, or not enough of it, or nowhere near enough room to accomodate the guests. We've also experienced a strange phenomenon of people coming to the free breakfast in their pajamas.

Anyway, I would very, very strongly recommend the Affinia 50, and have the concierge pick up some groceries for you. Also ask when you check in if they have any room upgrades available - we reserved a 2-bed room, but ended up in a 2-room suite. Wonderful place.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Gardenmary.
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 04:53 AM

If you can't find breakfast (an egg sandwich or oatmeal or yogurt+muffin) and coffee or juice, then you just aren't looking very hard. If the price differential is more than $20 per night, then it's obviously a much better deal at the Comfort Inn, but I'd happily pay $10 a night more not to be in Times Square ... I realize that not every tourist would agree with that sentiment. But the Affinia is also around the corner from a Duane Reade drugstore (cheaper sodas and water if you want bottled, as well as snacks). Buttercup Bakery is on 2nd Avenue, about 4 blocks away. The problem with the Times Square area is that it's noisy, crowded, dirty, and too frenetic for my tastes. If you and your son prefer that kind of atmosphere, then you should choose the Comfort Inn, which is a fine hotel. Another important consideration is that the Comfort Inn is definitely closer to useful subway lines than the Affinia 50, but I also love that hotel, so that's what I'd choose (and the refrigerator and microwave help make the decision easier for me).
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 04:54 AM

Sorry ... I meant to say "if you can't find a cheap breakfast" (i.e., no more than $5 per person).
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 11:30 AM
Original Poster

Doug, Thanks. I'm still deciding. I don't mind New York noise. As a matter of fact, I'm from and live in a big city (Rio). Let's see what happens to these 2 hotel prices (offers at Gtahotels.com) on Saturday, when I'll confirm air tickets
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 12:24 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I'd rather be at the Comfort Inn location. As a tourist in NYC, I don't mind staying in a "touristy" area. In fact, I prefer it. Much easier to get to the locations you probably want to see. I've stayed at the Hilton at 6th and 54th several times and those are long blocks to walk back to the Times Square area. Yes, an inexpensive breakfast can be found in NYC but having a breakfast option in the hotel means that one person can go down and get something to eat while the other one is getting ready in the morning. I will trust other's opinions that the Affinia is a nicer hotel, but I would still pick the Comfort Inn BECAUSE of the location.